Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

eleccion 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

Good point, MotherF. My drug of choice is caffeine, as found in a really good cappuccino. I wonder if one can become addicted to coffee to the point where it turns you into an unproductive "caffeine-head" Question

Having stopped drinking coffee "cold turkey" a couple if times, I can tell you that caffeine is a lot more addictive than people realize. I felt so awful the first day I was about to go to the doctor, I thought I was coming down with the flu, or had mono or something. It took three or four days till I felt close to normal. I regularly drink 2 or 3 big cups of coffee, but strong, more towards Expresso than coffee coffee. I feel that I can't function without coffee. But I think it is the opposite of unproductive, I can't be productive without it.

Maybe you're like me, a highly functial ADD adult who self medicates with caffeine?
http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/caffeines-effect-on-adhd-symptoms/

Apart from getting a headache around 11 if I skip my morning coffee, I'm also scattered and unproductive without it.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
I've read that Mexican narco gangs are starting to look for additional ways to make money: extorting shopkeepers and larger businesses for so-called "protection money" and human trafficking being just two of them.

My ever-reliable and intelligent wife made a good point about this last night, which I hadn't thought of. Assuming marihuana were legalized, the existing cartels would be in prime position, maybe through intermediaries, to establish legitimate businesses for the production and distribution of the product. Would their past misdemenors then go unpunished? Although the new companies could outwardly be seen to be run by legitimate entrepreneurs, the cartels would still be linked to the business and therefore would actually GAIN from the change in the law!
geaaronson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are many reasons, and not all stand up to scrutiny, but the fact remains that it has been made illegal by a democratic process (well, in most countries!). I'm not arguing for the legalization (or not) of marijuana, I'm just stating a principle. And that principle is the basis of my original point, which subsequent comments do nothing to address, that repealing laws to deal with other problems sets a dangerous precedent. PHIL K

So you admit there may not be a real legitimate reason to outlaw marijuana. Well, let`s take other examples of democratic process and their bad consequences. So now we have legitimate reasons for the US to invade Vietnam, Iraq, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Mexico and any other country that makes trouble for it. Watch what you ask for Phil. And the US has been a democracy since 1776.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your wife`s hypothesis is multiple.
First the cartels would be subject to past violations of the tax code which would not be annulled retroactively. So, yes, a cartel would not be subject to arrest of its members for drug trafficking but for past murders, extortion, bribery of public officials, tax evastion, etc. Do I need to go on?

Second, laws are revised all the time. In the US, it was in violation of federal law for a woman to have an abortion until Roe vs. Wade when the feds turned the issue over to the states. Women were not retroactively prosecuted in those states that liberalized their laws. Need I to go on?
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:
The answer to your wife`s hypothesis is multiple.
First the cartels would be subject to past violations of the tax code which would not be annulled retroactively. So, yes, a cartel would not be subject to arrest of its members for drug trafficking but for past murders, extortion, bribery of public officials, tax evastion, etc. Do I need to go on?

Second, laws are revised all the time. In the US, it was in violation of federal law for a woman to have an abortion until Roe vs. Wade when the feds turned the issue over to the states. Women were not retroactively prosecuted in those states that liberalized their laws. Need I to go on?

I think you missed the point. I don't doubt that the cartels would be subject to arrest for past crimes, but my point was that they would still be able to benefit from being part of the new legal drug trade due to the infrastructure they have established. I thought I made that clear.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the state could levy a hefty tax on that trade and use that money to pay law enforcement agents a good salary (and require proper training) to help combat corruption.

But back on the topic! Pe�a Nieto has done it again--have you seen the video circulating of him "speaking" English! Laughing
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF38nF2m3Gw

He's reading it...badly! Try listening without the "subtitles".

Hey, MotherF, check under the video I linked to see the name of the person who uploaded it. I can't be, can it? Wink
geaaronson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trafficking without a license, killing the opposition, extortion are still crimes. They`re not going to change their behaviour once consumption and sales are legalized. They haven`t been effectively dealt a blow when it is illegal. Arrest a few capos and consumption continues.

All we are doing is adding to the police body count, and I mean those cops caught between two worlds. The snitches get killed for doing "good Samaritan deeds". 40,000 Mexicans needlessly die for a business that should never have been made illegal in the first place as there is no danger to marijuana consumption. It all goes back to that, Phil K. If there is no sane reason to outlaw the consumption of marijuana, why in the world would you want to destroy so many lives?

Your wife`s argument is a foolish one. If the laws against marijuana are revoked, then it is because we as a people have recognized that the laws were never valid to begin with.

Let me put it to you another way. In the state of Massachusetts it is illegal to sell alcoholic beverages other than in a bar on Sunday. Many American states have that law. So now we repeal it. But no, your wife protests because the year before the laws were changed 2,000 drunkards purchased their beer from supermarkets that were surreptitiously selling beer out of the back door. The good people of the state of Massachusetts realize finally that the bars have been putting pressure on the state legislature all those years to allow only them to sell alcohol. Wow! what a deal. They have manipulated the system for years and now the good people say no more. They want the right to buy their beer wherever.

Again, with abortion.

So we have to maintain all present laws so that we don`t exonerate those violators who broke the law prior to the law`s change? That`s putting the horse behind the cart.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Phil, we are not related! Laughing

I don't have sound where I am right now, but this seems to be in English too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJtaQFWT60&feature=related

An interview with Univision.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they would still be able to benefit from being part of the new legal drug trade due to the infrastructure they have established. I thought I made that clear.

So what? It`s now legal. It never should have been illegal in the first place.

So what`s the big difference if they were to benefit? Again they will still be liable for past crimes that have not changed. Those are the real moral crimes, extortion, murder, bribery, etc. etc. are the real crimes. They will always have that hovering over them. Begin to tax their proceeds, regulate their business enterprises, now that they are in the open.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil K

Also consider with the legalization of marijuana, it will cause more damage to the cartels then the government`s war on them. Foot soldiers, Zetas,contract killers and the like have been replaced easily with each police arrest and adversary cartel�s assassination. The economic model for the drug industry is intact. A leader is caught here and there and shipped off to either the US for crimes there or incarcerated here in MX. A new leader takes his place.

The war will never be won as it is waged as it is. There has been nary a dent since the government seized the iniitiative how many years ago.

But with legalization, then every Dick, Tom and Harry, (or Jose, Felipe y Juan) will be able to grow pot without fear of police arrest. No longer will anyone have to worry about their neighbor reporting them if they have a small pot patch in a square meter of their milpa lands. Locals will have legal access without hobnobbing with the hardened criminals of the drug network. That will be the real blow. Yes, it will probably not affect the US trade. Those larger marijuana growers will be the only ones that will adequately satisfy US demand. But as for local consumption, the demand will be satisfied outside of the cartel structure.

So you have a choice. Continue the drug war against the drogistas, get your police officers assassinated, military attacked, politicians corrupted and extorted, or a partial solution to the whole mess.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a very amusing ad by AMLO this eve...

It went: Vote for experience...I have it, governing DF. DF is one of the safest places in the country because of me.

I can't figure out who the ad is aimed at...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pe�a Nieto's:

"Como Presidente, mi compromiso es..." (or something similar, but in present tense!) Have I missed something?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Watched a very amusing ad by AMLO this eve...

It went: Vote for experience...I have it, governing DF. DF is one of the safest places in the country because of me.

I can't figure out who the ad is aimed at...

Those who would send Mexico back into the Dark Ages of the PRI???

I am not in love with Lopez Obrador. There are aspects of his personality that I find.......grating. However, I think the only chance of any real change happening outside of the PRI and PAN, who are two sides of a coin anyway.

Pena Nieto is the Dan Quayle of Mexico. God forbid he becomes president, because only the Devil knows who will be pulling the strings.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not in love with Lopez Obrador. There are aspects of his personality that I find.......grating. However, I think the only chance of any real change happening outside of the PRI and PAN, who are two sides of a coin anyway.

I tend to agree with you to a certain extent about AMLOve, he does seem to have a different project, BUT,

1) I find it difficult to find a manifesto with a list of proposals, even on his official website,

2) He is a very smart operator who craves power, and I don't believe he would really be any different once comfortably installed in Los Pinos, and

3) It would be anathema for me to vote (if I were eligible) for a left-wing party.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 5 of 24

Jump to: