Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering teaching ESL in Siem Reap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vpressler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Considering teaching ESL in Siem Reap Reply with quote

Hello,

I am an ESL teacher who has moved from the UK, I had planned to move to Ho Chi Minh however I have stopped in Siem Reap for a few days holiday and really love this town.

I am currently in Siem Reap now, however most schools are closed for the Chinese new year, and seam to be reopening on Wednesday, so I am planning to visit as many as I can and drop off my CV. Can anybody give me an insight into what living in Siem Reap is like, What schools are good to work for, average pay rates, and good places to start looking for aprtments or house shares etc.

I have a Masters in English literature, Celta qualification as well as a few months' teaching experience in the UK.

I am really keen to meet up with some people here over the next few days.

Any information or tips you can offer me would be fantastic also

Victoria
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rather late, and you may already have got fixed up or decided to move on, but since there are no other replies, I will chip in.

The pickings in Siem Reap are going to be slim indeed. The only way to find work in Cambodia if you do not have a network and connections is to knock on doors. There are a handful of 'universities' - some such as Angkor, Buildbright and Norton, also have attached language institutes in addition to their 'academic' programmes - and a couple of hole-in-the-wall language schools.

The main problem you will have is that you are in competition with travelers and backpackers who will basically 'teach' for food or even volunteer, thus forcing hourly-rates down to rock-bottom and ensuring that supply exceeds demand. This is also not the best of times to begin looking, as things will start to wind down in about a month or so for Khmer New Year in April.

I suggest you start your search here:
http://www.yellowpages-cambodia.com

then jump on a motodop with copies of your CV in hand. You might get lucky, but I would be surprised if you are able to scrape even a very modest living from TEFLing in Siem Reap.

A good place to start looking for accommodation is the notice board outside the Angkor Supermarket on Srivuttha - there are currently quite a few places advertised there. Additionally, mention to every Khmer and expat you meet that you are looking for somewhere. You should be able to find an acceptable studio-type room for anywhere between $75 to $120 a month, depending on size and facilities. Finding work will be more difficult than finding somewhere to live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: