Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Language Centres???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace2society32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: English Language Centres??? Reply with quote

I just received a job offer in Oman from ELC. Can anyone give me info on this employer?? Are they reputable, etc, etc. I currently teach in the UAE. What is life in Oman like compared to the UAE? What type of salary should I expect in Oman? Thank you for your feedback. [email protected]
stabnkill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about ELS? In Madinat Quaboos? You should get more money if they want to send you to Sohar or Salalah because these places are less desirable.

Last edited by stabnkill on Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
menace2society32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Feedback would be very helpful. Reply with quote

Here is a copy of the email he sent:
What do you think? It is not ELS. It doesn't sound appealing.
The following is the copy of the email:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Here are some of the details regarding the job here at ELC. Also, you will find a copy of the contract at the end of this e-mail.

Your salary along with allowances will be around 2000 U.S. Dollars (i.e. 770.000 Omani Rials) This will include the accommodation which is approximately 200-300 Dollars per month.

As part of the contract you will also get a ticket (both ways) once every year. Also you will receive one month's paid holiday in a year.

Your gratuity will consist of 50% of your salary per year.

It would be helpful if you could let me know how soon you can come and start work in Oman?

So, Damian, if you are interested, then you can please contact me ASAP on my GSM no. (don't want to list #) or e-mail me.

I will be happy to hear from you at the earliest. Thank you.

Mr. (don't want to list name)

ELC

CONTRACT BETWEEN (TEACHER) AND

THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE CENTRE

*_ _*

*_ _*

*1. **_Hours_*

1.1 The working hours per week will be 36.24 of these hours being contact hours. The

hours will be calculated on a monthly basis. Over 96 contact hours a month

qualifies for overtime rates.

*2. **_ Emoluments_*

*_ _*

*2.1 * *Salary:*

The salary will be paid in local currency on the first day of every calendar month.

The salary will be RO 650 per month.

*2.2 ** Overtime teaching*

Overtime teaching will be available from time to time at a rate for RO 5 per hour.

Whenever reasonable, you will be expected to fill this need. These hours will be

additional to the 36 hours per week.

*3. **_ Leave_*

*_ _*

*3.1 * *Annual leave:*

Annual leave for every completed twelve months� service will be 35 days.

This will be normally be taken during Ramadan and at any other period(s).

suitable to the timetable of the Teaching Centre. Should a decision be made to

remain at work during any interterm, it would be required that the need of the

Centre are fulfilled, whether they are teaching, marketing etc.

*3.2 * *Local holidays:*

Omani public holidays are additional holidays to those cited in 3.1.

If Omani holidays fall within an agreed leave period, no days in lieu will be given.

*3.3 **Accrued leave:*

Accrued leave will be granted pro-rata in the event of a part year service.

*3.4 * *Leave not taken:*

* *There will be no compensation in money for leave not taken, neither can leave be

carried over to the following year of service.

However, leave started in one year of service, but continuing into the next year of

service, will be taken as days holiday from the original year.

*4. *_ *Medical benefits *_

_ _

The* *employer shall pay for the medical treatment, but no dental treatment required

by the employee, while present in the Sultanate.

*5. **_Sick leave_*

*_ _*

As per Omani Law.

*6. **_Accommodation_*

An accommodation allowance of RO 120, per month will be added to the monthly

salary.

*7. **_Air fares_*

*_ _*

7.1 One economy airfare to London (or the equivalent in cash) will be supplied each year. All air tickets will be with a reputable airline.

7.2 In the case of the contract being broken, no airfare or ticket will be provided.

*_8. Contract_*

This contract is valid for a year with effect from __________________

*9. **_Termination and severance pay_*

*_ _*

9.1 Either party may terminate the contract, giving 3 months notice.

9.2 At the end of the notice of the termination period, the sponsor will pay severance to

the employee as follows:-

15 days� for each of the first 3 full years� service.

1 month�s pay for every additional full year of service thereafter.

Signatures of the parties and witnesses

*_On behalf of the_* *_Employee_*

English Language Centre

*_ _*

*_In the presence of_* *_In the presence of_*
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratuity is 50%? Wow!! that's $12000
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menace,

I could be wrong, but I think ELC is or used to be ELS. The pay is about the norm for this type of place. The hours are horrendously heavy - double the contact hours of even the small private colleges. One month of holiday?? Half or less than most places. The housing allowance is very low - you won't get much for that and how are you going to furnish it?

I suspect that the gratuity is one-half of one month's pay per year. I believe that is Omani law. But - if it half of annual salary - that would be nice. Although it would suggest that few make it that far. Smile

VS
stabnkill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly confident that this is ELS. English Language Center Schools. That's what their sign says.

A nice one bedroom flat in one of the more expensive areas costs from 130-150. You can get a 3 bedroom house about a half hour away for less than that.

Also, 5 rial an hour for overtime is low. Question them about the medical care.

Last edited by stabnkill on Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
stabnkill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: oops, sorry Reply with quote

Is ELC in Muscat?
Aliskander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: ELC Salalah Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but bear with me!

This is ELC (English Language Centre. Ex British Council building in Hamdan). NOT ELS.

At all costs avoid this company like the plague (they currently have another advert on some esl sites).
In one year they have gone through 5 or 6 'managers' - Why? The manager is expected to run the centre (as per the owners exact or telepathic requirements), carry out marketing, teach at least 18 hours a week and teach IELTS preparation classes on wednesday and thursday evenings. The current teachers are working 28 contact hours (one teacher even more), salary is frequently late and if you question it (in order to cover bills etc) you are told it is not the owners fault and you just have to be patient. The average life of a manger is 1 - 3 months. Release letters are promised - but never given. Termination can happen just at the whim of the owner or his father. The will of the student is granted at all costs - regardless of what the request or the outcome may be.
The teaching staff are lovely, receptionists and secretary listen to everything, sometimes embellish what they want and run to the owner to report all.
If you do not have Ministry approval before arriving - don't come until you the approval. Often the owner will let you arrive then announce he can only pay you half salary until your papaers are cleared - surprisingly this may well take him the whole 3 month probation period!

I don't usually like to write posts like this, but this is one company to be seriously avoided.
Joe Keysor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked for ELS Language Centers in Oman for two years straight - 4 months in Muscat and the rest in Salalah.

I have had basically a good experience with ELS, though of course no place is perfect. My salary has been paid every month, and was late a few days one month out of two years. My housing is OK, and I am able to save $1,000 a month easily, more if I am frugal.

The director of the Salalah branch has been here since I came, over one year, though there was some turnover just before I came, not sure why.

Things have changed with the school in Muscat since I left, I am not sure what is happening there. The work load is heavier than I prefer, with lots of overtime, but this month I have only 20 classroom hours a week, which is nice.

As I said, no place is perfect - I am getting tired of New Interchange, which was not written with the Middle East in mind and often seems rather juvenile - but I am glad to be here and have signed on for a third year.

Oman is very nice, the people are friendly, surprisingly so.

Joe Keysor
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Aliksander, you seem to be having no luck in making it clear that ELC is not ELS. (although I must say that it sounds like they are using the same script...). Laughing

Joe Keysor wrote:
Oman is very nice, the people are friendly, surprisingly so.

Joe Keysor

Why the surprise Joe? Every full page rant on even the worst employer here on the board always seems to end with some variation of 'Oman is (insert positive adjective), and the people are (insert positive adjective).' Or are you saying that they are even more friendly than you expected...

The one constant on teaching in Oman is the nice students. Cool

VS
Joe Keysor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you seem to be having no luck in making it clear that ELC is not ELS.

I skimmed the thread. Oh well.

Quote:
Why the surprise Joe? Every full page rant on even the worst employer here on the board always seems to end with some variation of 'Oman is (insert positive adjective), and the people are (insert positive adjective).' Or are you saying that they are even more friendly than you expected...

When I first came here I found out something about Oman ahed of time, but I didn't use this message board and really knew very little about the people here when I first came.

I wanted to add the obvious point that management changes. A school that is decent at one time may not be a few months or years later with new management.

The first director I worked for in Muscat was not very, shall we say, honest. He got fired and things improved with a new guy. So a school that gets a good or a bad reference may be different later down the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: