Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get a Residence Permit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannenbr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: How to get a Residence Permit Reply with quote

I will be staying with a German family in their apartment for 3 months this coming December. I plan on looking for an ESL teaching job. I am aware that to obtain a work permit, I must also provide proof that I have a stable place to stay. Does the German family I will stay with have to legally add me to their lease and then I have to show proof of this to the Ausl�nderbeh�rde for it to be substantial proof that I have a place to stay? Or do I actually have to move into my own apartment and sign a lease there? Please help. Thank you!! Smile
ioamosalerno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on where live. when i was looking for work near Dusseldorf, I went to the local Burgerburo with my landlord, but no lease. I don't speak German, so i'm not sure what exactly she told them, but it had to obviously been something to the effect that I am staying with them. I had to fill out some form, answer some questions, and that was what got the ball rolling. Have some extra passport photos, and when they ask what religion you are, say "nothing" or you be paying tax to whatever religion to claim to be. They will then issue you an important paper.
gjj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of this being a requirement before.

I'm assuming that you are not a citizen of an EU state, because if you were you would have the right to live and work in Germany without any special documentation.

What the Auslaenderamt is interested in are letters from preferably two schools stating their intention of employing you as an English teacher on a freelance basis. They should then give you a stamp in your passport allowing you to work as a freelance teacher (not a work permit - that is for people on a standard full time contract and much more difficult to obtain).

Regarding the proof of address, you simply go to the Einwohnermeldeamt with a form signed by the family you are staying with, and then you are issued with a document confirming that you are registered at that address. It in no way affects the family's lease and is extremely uncomplicated.

GJ
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going back a long time but I doubt it's changed. When I arrived, the people I stayed with were responsible for a trip to the local office to register me at their address. I went along, too and signed all the necessary documents, provided photos, showed ID etc. to get my residence permit. This all had to be done within three weeks of arrival.

In my case, they were home owners but it's just a question of their confirming you reside with them. The German family you plan to stay with could ask about this locally and check this precedure hasn't changed and confirm what is required. It's best if the lease holder accompanies you when you go to get the permit but a signed letter may be sufficient. You won't have to be added to the lease.

Note: I can't remember at what point you have to state your religion (do they still do this???) but, yes, make sure you write "no religion", if they still tax you extra for this and send off your tax money to whatever church it is!
dannenbr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! Great information. Thanks for the heads up on the religion question. I will be sure to say "no religion" Smile
JN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stayed with someone last year, I think all she had to do was sign the form that I was staying with her, but if your German is not very good, then take someone from the family with you. They would know where to go anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: