Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up costs in Chile?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scobie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Start up costs in Chile? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Can anyone give me an idea of sensible (and I mean sensible) start-up funds to bring to Chile to look for teaching work? I am saving in UK �s but advice in any currency is welcome! (a breakdown will be even more welcome..!)

I will be newly qualified with a CELTA but lacking experience. I am mainly interested in Valparaiso, but understand that most jobs are in the capital..

I would hope to arrive in February. What do you think of my chances?

Thanks!
mike30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you'll want at least a couple thousand quid unless you're really planning on slumming it....but it all depends on you and your expectations.

Do, however, plan on not making enough money to live off of for at least a few months.
Dia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in valparaiso.

i would estimate that the average foreigner spends between 300-400,000 per month in valparaiso living simply but not "without" anything. that goes up with travel, shopping, and heavy partying, and furnishing an unfurnished place. it could go down by sacrificing in the housing area, buying non-packaged foods, etc...

breakdown:

my place costs around 100,000 pesos (a newer apartment will be more, a single room in a decently secure shared house will cost around the same or a little more, a room in a pension or more run down shared house or so-so part of town may cost less).

I pay 30,000 for internet and cable, 10,000 electricity, 10,000 water, 10-15,000 gas per month. splitting bills with someone will be cheaper.

i really have no idea how much money i spend on food and entertainment per month, but I estimate I probably spend 3,000 to cook dinner using packaged foods from the supermarket. going out varies a LOT, depending on how much you like to drink(beer or cheap rum and coke might be around 1,000 at average places... gets pricier with the place and quality), if you like to dance (door covers without free pass 3,000+, esp for men)...

i spend about 25,000 per month on transportation between here and vina, where i frequently go for work and social events.

Being in valparaiso also means 1/2 the salary you'd get in Santiago, in most cases (institutes, private classes, etc... )
sakakisins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on a few things: For example, if you buy all your veggies at the supermarket you will spend quite a bit more than if you go to your local market.

In bigger cities you will probably get higher paying jobs, but will also spend a lot more on transportation-

Not all high paying jobs are in Stgo; something most people don't know is that the mining companies up north will spend big bucks on teaching their people English.

Finally, living costs can vary alot from one city to another. Antofagasta for example has some really high paying jobs but most basic things there are also more expensive.
Lunkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike30 wrote:
I would say that you'll want at least a couple thousand quid unless you're really planning on slumming it....but it all depends on you and your expectations.

Do, however, plan on not making enough money to live off of for at least a few months.

this.

also, even once you do start working, you might not get paid until the end of the following month so take that into consideration as well.
karynr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sakakisins wrote:

Not all high paying jobs are in Stgo; something most people don't know is that the mining companies up north will spend big bucks on teaching their people English.

Sakakisins, have you worked for these companies personally? I'd really love more information on jobs in the North. I don't see much information about them online.
Swing59

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try Instituto Chileno Norteamericano. I heard that the center in Vi�a might be looking for native speaker teacher.
Max of SF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much in USD to land in Santiago and get started?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: