Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surfing and teaching English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esmith1617

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Surfing and teaching English Reply with quote

I am looking for ESL teaching jobs in a city in central or south america. I also love to surf and want to practice my Spanish. Any advice on how to make this dream a reality?
Thanks!
fladude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful where you go. The surf in Guatemala is lacking (mainly shore break.. and actually fairly dangerous due to the same). Check it out before you go there. I hear its better in El Salvador, parts of Nicaragua and obviously better in parts of Mexico. I think Ecuador or Peru might hold promise. If it were me, I'd check out parts of Mexico (seems easy to get a job) or head to Ecuador in the alternative. Mexico seems like the best way to go though, although I haven't worked there myself (just what I've heard). Central America doesn't seem ESL friendly. I work there, but not in ESL at the moment.
newdayrising

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of jobs in Guayaquil and some famous surfing spots a couple hours away. Also, look into Chile!
JeffW24

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: surfing Reply with quote

There's good surfing on the western coast of Mexico, in Nicaragua, Peru, and Costa Rica.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: surfing Reply with quote

JeffW24 wrote:
There's good surfing on the western coast of Mexico, in Nicaragua, Peru, and Costa Rica.

I fear that places that have good surfing may not often be places that offer decent employment to prospective English teachers. Hopefully, another poster may prove me wrong.
fladude

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: surfing Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
JeffW24 wrote:

I fear that places that have good surfing may not often be places that offer decent employment to prospective English teachers. Hopefully, another poster may prove me wrong.

Sure there are places that pay well and have good surf, but they are in Asia, Africa or the Middle East.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: