Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American native English speaker looking for work in Warsaw
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonpete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: American native English speaker looking for work in Warsaw Reply with quote

Hello everyone
First I love Poland. I have visited many times since 2002 and now it is time to give living in Poland a try.

I am currently looking for employment in Warsaw starting in September. But I am open to other major cities like Poznan and Gdansk, etc. In January, I completed a TEFL course in Prague before moving to Budapest. I am originally from California. I have a broad range of experience both in teaching, government, and non-profit work. I have experience teaching in a business and professional environments. I have also created original course material for use in my training courses. Most recently I have been teaching English at various businesses in Budapest along with private students mostly at the intermediate and advanced levels. I have also worked in Austria and Slovakia conducting an intensive English Language courses in the public schools.

I am available to teach from beginner to advanced levels in grammar, conversation, and business English. Additionally I teach American sports to youth like football (NFL) and baseball. I am outgoing and enjoy getting the students to laugh as well as think in new creative ways. I am looking for a school that would be willing to help me process the proper work visa application. I look forward to hearing from you.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Lon
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lon: where are you now? Jobs in this region aren't normally found from abroad - you'll need to be here to interview.

Most schools will be closed for some weeks now for summer breaks - the hiring seasons starts up when? End August/first September, I think.
Lonpete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Actually in Budapest for a few more days. Actually going to be in Warsaw Monday and Tuesday next week. I then plan to return end of August / 1st Sept. Just fishing right now and see if can get anything started. Thanks

spiral78 wrote:
Lon: where are you now? Jobs in this region aren't normally found from abroad - you'll need to be here to interview.

Most schools will be closed for some weeks now for summer breaks - the hiring seasons starts up when? End August/first September, I think.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware there's a small number of teams playing NFL in Poland, if you're good I'd get in contact with one of them to make some friends and find out about good/shite language schools in the area.
Lonpete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Back in Warsaw soon Reply with quote

Just a follow up. I will be back in Warsaw as of August 23rd. If anyone has any job leads or wants to meet up please let me know.

Lon
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrvatski wrote:
I'm aware there's a small number of teams playing NFL in Poland, if you're good I'd get in contact with one of them to make some friends and find out about good/shite language schools in the area.

The NFL isn't in Poland. There are American football teams though. PZFA.pl is the league's website.

If anybody needs help, I play in the league and can refer you to your local team.
Lonpete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: no NFL Reply with quote

somebody wrote something about NFL... not my idea or interest. Just normal teaching work. Thanks.
Lonpete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LundjSturart drop me a PM please if you are open to meet up in Warsaw end of the months. I can't send PM yet.
Blasphemer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even worry about it, as long as you speak English and show up for the initial interview, you'll get a job. I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Just have a CV handy. Good luck.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blasphemer wrote:

Quote:
Don't even worry about it, as long as you speak English and show up for the initial interview, you'll get a job.

Right, as long as you keep in mind that:

"seems like there are no good schools which work at a level which even try to resemble professionalism"

and

"The used car salesmen line could apply to pretty much 99% of schools here hahaha...."
Blasphemer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, hence - don't worry about landing a job.
Blasphemer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Dynow, you were grossly disillusioned when you left the US, others think things through rather thoroughly before making such life altering decisions. Teaching, for some is a way of living and those people have a comfortable life here, for others; myself included, it was simply means to an end. I came with a plan and I've been implementing it, so far so good. Simple as that. I can't see myself teaching for more than another year, I've already started translating more than teaching and that's a great way of making ends meet, but even that is simply a step towards my goal. Life's all about planning and making things happen, otherwise you'll be ... well ... haha a Dynow.
Lonpete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blasphemer wrote:
See Dynow, you were grossly disillusioned when you left the US, others think things through rather thoroughly before making such life altering decisions. Teaching, for some is a way of living and those people have a comfortable life here, for others; myself included, it was simply means to an end. I came with a plan and I've been implementing it, so far so good. Simple as that. I can't see myself teaching for more than another year, I've already started translating more than teaching and that's a great way of making ends meet, but even that is simply a step towards my goal. Life's all about planning and making things happen, otherwise you'll be ... well ... haha a Dynow.

Hey good words and reflect my own minimal planning.... I have also been mostly outside the US working for the past 4.5 years so not new to me this life of uncertainty. I get to town next week must grab a beer. I also already have half a dozen replies/interest from less desirable area of Katowice (Warsaw is first choice) that I need to work further on and not even on the ground yet. Still need to walk in and see the big schools in Warsaw as soon as I get settled. Think positive and if doesn't work head to S. Korea. Smile

Czesc
Blasphemer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katowice... hm... as Poles would say "a specific" place, I liked the couple of times that I was actually there, I do have a friend who teaches there and she's not complaining just yet, it's been about two years for her. With big cities like Warsaw and Krakow, there's always work available so that's a plus, but if you enjoy country living, there's money to be made too. Given that all kids now have to pass English on their Matura exam [equivalent to the SAT back in the states, not the English part however] it opened up a lot of options for those who'd want to live outside of the metro areas.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lundjstuart wrote:
The NFL isn't in Poland. There are American football teams though. PZFA.pl is the league's website.

If anybody needs help, I play in the league and can refer you to your local team.

No one cares about the semantics surrounding NFL. I shall also call it gridiron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: