Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartments in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwalcoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Apartments in Prague Reply with quote

I have been offered a job in Prague at a school in the Strasnice area. I am in the U.S. now. The job pays 16,000Kc per month net if I find my own apartment; 10,000Kc net if I live in the school's shared accommodation; and 6,500Kc net if I live in a single accommodation provided by the school (I intend to supplement my income when not working for the school). I very much value my privacy. I wouldn't mind sharing a kitchen with others, but I want my own space for living.

How can I go about finding an apartment? Will I be able to find a single accommodation for less than 9,500Kc with utilities?

Since the school is in eastern Prague (Skalka metro station), I'm thinking perhaps I could find a cheaper place in an eastern suburb like Ricany (23 mins. away by bus), Uhrineves or Hostivar. I admit I've just picked those names from a map, so I have no idea how nice those places are.

Thanks for helping.

Matt
Sigma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one site....

http://www.expats.cz/ubb_forumfiles/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=27
bohinj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Stalka and Hostivar aren't that far from each other. Reply with quote

It's been years since I lived in Prague so I can't say about current rents or your salary, but Hostivar is only about 10 minutes by bus to Skalka metro. If you are at all into the nightlife, you'll want to stay closer to the metro. I lived in Prague 10 in Zaradni Mesto and it was a couple stops by bus or trolley to the Skalka metro--not problem and my rent was really cheap.
mwalcoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalka and Hostivar aren't that far from each other. Reply with quote

bohinj wrote:
It's been years since I lived in Prague so I can't say about current rents or your salary, but Hostivar is only about 10 minutes by bus to Skalka metro. If you are at all into the nightlife, you'll want to stay closer to the metro. I lived in Prague 10 in Zaradni Mesto and it was a couple stops by bus or trolley to the Skalka metro--not problem and my rent was really cheap.

Great... how did you find your place (find meaning "locate," not "like")?
bohinj

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: A reply better late than never Reply with quote

Sorry for the tardy reply...I found my place from an ad/notice posted at a hospitality center. A Czech girl was looking for a roommate. I lived in her place for 3 years and we've been in contact ever since then. I highly recommend living with a Czech for a better cultural experience--although I also had many other friends, too.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tardy reply, you say.... Shocked
denise

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Looks like resurrecting old threads is the thing to do these days, eh? Wink

Oh, and to the original poster--I found that it was much easier for me when I was in Prague to take my school's housing. For a couple of months I had my own place and they gave me 5,000 on top of my salary to cover it, but after a couple of bad roommate experiences (basically living with expat flakes who moved out without telling me while leaving unpaid international phone bills that predated my residency there) I decided to let my school take care of me.

d
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that (so long as it doesn't require a major commitment) you might take the school accomodation for the short term, whilst you look for a place you'll enjoy more. It's much easier when you're there in the city to find acceptable accomodations. Though, all the neighborhoods you mentioned are ok, so long as you don't mind the commute to the centre and the panelak scene.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT SHARE

Rule #1 of EFL-ing anywhere !
Asynca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Prague at the moment (need to change my profile, actually...) and if the school pays you 6,500krc per month for your (not too far away from school) free accomodation (which you can probably also convince them to pay the amenities bills except for phone for) - you will be able to have quite a decent life style. I spend about 1000krc per week and I live in the centre of Prague. If you supplement your income you will probably also be able to save a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: