Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PERU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterbrownpants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: PERU Reply with quote

Hi,
okay so im heading to peru.. has anyone ever worked there before? im looking to go near to the equador border.. so i don't have to mess around with visas...?? any suggestions? any hot spots for jobs?
money isn't an issue.. just as long as i can sleep someplace.. and eat once and a while Smile
let me know
Flo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to do in Peru? Teach English? It is very cheap to live in Peru, although finding a job that pays real money is sometimes difficult. On the other hand, there isn't a lot here to spend money on except for travel. I live on the north coast and work here. Please send me a message and I can answer your specific questions. Also, getting a work visa is not difficult once you know where you will work. It requires getting photos taken and then sending your passport to Lima (for several weeks or months) to have your visa processed.
misterbrownpants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Teaching Reply with quote

Hi,
yes i wanted to teach english.. i found an organization called AYNI.. and i want to do that.. but also want to make some money as well
let me know of some hot cities to check out!
how much a month does it cost to live?
Flo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Costs in Peru Reply with quote

Peru is very cheap to live in. I pay about $100 a month for a room in a boarding house with a shared bathroom. This is a very nice house, it is mostly furnished, there are "guards" outside 24 hours a day, and I have maid service one day a week for $2 who cleans the house and takes out the trash. You can get a cheaper room for about $30 a month, but you get what you pay for. I believe in places like Lima and Cusco it is much more expensive to live, but in the smaller cities it is cheap. Furnished 2 or 3 bedroom apartments are about $250 to $350 a month, if you can find one.
My utilities are about $20 a month for water, phone and electricity. A cellular phone will cost between $15 and $50, depending on if you want one and how much you use it.
Food is cheap. Lunch in a restuarant is less than $2, including a drink. Dinner can be purchased for a little more. If you like to cook you can get super cheap produce and other foods at the local markets. For example, a huge watermelon is $1 and a kilo of strawberries is $1.
misterbrownpants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: and the small cities are? Reply with quote

sorry just wondering which smaller cities are the better ones to check out? and how do i find the work? do i just go there and do it? or can i find it online?
Flo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: jobs in smaller cities in Peru Reply with quote

To be honest with you, I doubt many of the schools in smaller towns advertise on the internet. I think they do most of their hiring through word of mouth, or they hire Peruvians to teach English. There are language institutes everywhere, so if you came you probably would not have any trouble finding a school. However, I do not know how available the jobs are. I found my job ahead of time, and they paid for my airfare...that was a plus. Also, if you just show up one day, the school is going to know that you are not working (and perhaps short on funds), and they may be likely to pay you less thinking you are near financial despair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: