Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I was shocked......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: I was shocked...... Reply with quote

I was shocked to see that, due to high cost, LOT's planes can't even afford wheels anymore.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the thread is meant as a bit of a joke, and fair enough. But allow me to be genuine here for a minute...

That was an absolutely beautiful landing - the pilot and crew deserve huge praise for bringing that thing down safely.

This was also the first time I've seen (on tv) anti-flame foam deployed in such a situation. That certainly also helped prevent explosion/fire. Great that the Warsaw airport had a supply and was able to deploy it efficiently.

Kudos to all involved.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with Spiral on this. The level of professionalism and readiness shown by the Warsaw airport's authorities was pretty top-notch. The article I read said that they had F-16s circle the plane to check the state of the landing gear. They spent an hour circling to burn fuel. I'm not sure how this would have gone down in a more Western nation, but it seems that no expense was spared here with the best possible result.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ATC spouse shed some light on this - the aircraft would not have gotten the same level of service in that, from our understanding, the Warsaw airport basically stopped all other activity to attend to this emergency. In North America, at a big airport, that's not possible - a runway would obviously have been cleared, but it's not feasible to cease (or strongly curtail) all other operations.

The F-16s (or their equivalent) would have been deployed (well, one at least, depending on the situation).

We don't actually know if the anti-flame foam is available here, but will try to find out, as it's an interesting question. It very likely helped considerably in this situation.

In short, in North America, the situation would probably have been handled similarly, but Warsaw deserves very high praise for deploying every possible resource.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with all that's been said. I've watched the clip 3 times now and saw the Jazeera interview with the pilot who landed on the Hudson; he said that you can't even practise that on a simulator although there are SOPs. I've always thought Poles were a bit spazzy clapping on landing but this certainly warranted a round of applause. No doubt the Smolensk conspiracy theorists are now up in arms at the unfairness of it all.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I've always thought Poles were a bit spazzy clapping on landing but this certainly warranted a round of applause.

Funny you should say that. I've never heard a Pole so much as utter a word of praise in response to a smooth landing.

I flew home to to visit the USA with my Polish gf in August. When the plane touched down softly in Dallas, Texas, people were clapping and one guy even whistled.

"Jaki wiesniak..." She said (or something very similar).
diodeone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: I was shocked...... Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I was shocked to see that, due to high cost, LOT's planes can't even afford wheels anymore.

haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: