Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK TV Top Gear racists insult Asian "slope"!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is "slope" a racist term you've heard of?
Yes, disgraceful
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
No, move on
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
There are more important things in life
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Another example of Political Correctness gone mad
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

Hod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: UK TV Top Gear racists insult Asian "slope"!!!!!!! Reply with quote

An apparently high-profile acquaintance of mine of Asian descent made the papers recently by complaining about an episode of the UK TV motoring program Top Gear. He’s not alone.

I'd actually watched the episode months before and didn't even notice the incident, which you can see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-OQR5zu_J4

The Top Gear presenters drove across Myanmar in old trucks, and in doing so had to build a ramshackle wooden bridge across a river. Two of the presenters looked on at the finished bridge just as a local man was walking across.

Clarkson says, “That is a proud moment. But, there’s a slope on it.”

His colleague replies, “You’re right. It’s definitely higher on this side.”

This wasn’t an innocent mistake. It was a play on words based on the uneven bridge and the Asian man. Clarkson admits this, but he would when there’s no such thing as bad publicity.

I couldn’t find anything except the better known definition of “slope” in the Cambridge dictionary. Urban Dictionary, which is slightly wikipediaish in that anyone can write there, suggests the term dates from the Vietnam War era.

I don’t like racism. Who does? But my Malaysian wife has never heard the term slope, and to me it sounds as offensive as a German calling me a “Tommy” and me replying with "Kraut".

Of course, if I wanted the publicity, I would threaten to sue the German for calling me a Tommy. I wouldn’t get anything except publicity, which is what those offended by “slope” are after.

When will these people get a life?
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"slope" "slant" - both used during the Vietnam era by troops over there.

Lord knows what they called us. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Mushkilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
"slope" "slant" - both used during the Vietnam era by troops over there.

Lord knows what they called us. Very Happy

Regards,
John

"Ame-koh" Laughing

And the Russian call you "америкос" which means "Amerikos" Laughing
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mushkilla,

Oh, I'm pretty sure it was worse than that, "phalangxa" comes to mind (which, by the way, traces back to ""faranji" or Da Gui/Gwai-lo (White Demon) or simply "Round-eye" or "Big Nose."

Regards,
John
JoeKing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: UK TV Top Gear racists insult Asian "slope"!!! Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

I couldn’t find anything except the better known definition of “slope” in the Cambridge dictionary. Urban Dictionary, which is slightly wikipediaish in that anyone can write there, suggests the term dates from the Vietnam War era.

I don’t like racism. Who does? But my Malaysian wife has never heard the term slope, and to me it sounds as offensive as a German calling me a “Tommy” and me replying with "Kraut".

Of course, if I wanted the publicity, I would threaten to sue the German for calling me a Tommy. I wouldn’t get anything except publicity, which is what those offended by “slope” are after.

When will these people get a life?
Hod, it's definitely a derogatory term, so I am not sure what else needs to be said. What does it matter if your wife has heard it or not? How can you say that someone offended by the term "just wants publicity", just because you yourself are not offended? I find it offensive, and I am not even Asian.

It's funny that your poll question has one choice for yes, and three other choices that scoff at that reply.

Last edited by JoeKing on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it offensive - could well be, depending on the hearer.

On the other hand, were I to get offended by every ignorant word /phrase /sentence /book /idea that comes within my range, well, I'd probably have to be in a state of perpetual indignation.

Rather tiring, that.

Regards,
John
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree JoeKing.

Also, there is a huge difference between the exchange of Kraut/Tommy between 2 individuals and a TV presenter scripting and filming a scene so they can slip a sly racist jibe in for a cheap laugh and some free publicity. It's Clarkson's M.O. and it's vile.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: UK TV Top Gear racists insult Asian "slope"!!! Reply with quote

JoeKing wrote:
Hod, it's definitely a derogatory term, so I am not sure what else needs to be said.

Fair enough, but you carried on anyway. My poll should have a fifth option: Can I shoot the messenger?

This is a discussion forum, and within its rules I'm allowed to express an opinion, i.e. people such as my acquaintance seek publicity by blowing such events out of proportion. If a famous person had complained, then fair enough. But they didn't, did they?
JoeKing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: UK TV Top Gear racists insult Asian "slope"!!! Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
JoeKing wrote:
Hod, it's definitely a derogatory term, so I am not sure what else needs to be said.

Fair enough, but you carried on anyway. My poll should have a fifth option: Can I shoot the messenger?

This is a discussion forum, and within its rules I'm allowed to express an opinion, i.e. people such as my acquaintance seek publicity by blowing such events out of proportion. If a famous person had complained, then fair enough. But they didn't, did they?
Of course you can express your opinion. But you say your acquaintance sought publicity by blowing the event out of proportion. How exactly did he do that? And why would it be fairer for a famous person to do that? I have to admit that part confuses me.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has been useful. I agree the term is not appropriate, and hopefully others feel likewise.

The derogatory term doesn't, or rather didn't, exist in British English.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/slope

In the absence of any academic references, I tried Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs#S

Slope, slopehead, slopy, slopey, sloper (US and Aus) a person of Asian (in Australia, especially Vietnamese; in America, especially Chinese) descent.

This implies it’s used for people with Chinese features for want of a better description, e.g. from Vietnam, China, Thailand, a percentage of Myanmar and Malaysia. Asian people in countries such as Turkey, the Middle East or Afghanistan are not included, according to Wikipedia.

Neither are those from India, and this is where one person has sought publicity for their own benefit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714815/Actress-speaks-pride-taking-Jeremy-Clarkson-race-row-Top-Gear-slope-bridge-comments.html

This is a minor celebrity at best. In fact, it’s not my opinion; I know she is seeking publicity from this.

JoeKing wrote:
Of course you can express your opinion. But you say your acquaintance sought publicity by blowing the event out of proportion. How exactly did he do that? And why would it be fairer for a famous person to do that? I have to admit that part confuses me.

The individual is a business acquaintance, so it’s unfair to ask I reveal too many details. They had the opportunity to speak at a public gathering but chose to just criticise Clarkson. My acquaintance, considering the work he’s involved in, could have focused on more important subjects.

My point about famous people is that no well-known person has publically objected. These people are busy and generally do a degree of charitable work. Their not objecting to Clarkson’s comments - seven months on - shows there are bigger worries in the world right now.
caliph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord knows what they called us.

Dead
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear calpih,

True for 58,220 of us, but many lived to tell the tale.

Regards,
John
JoeKing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear calpih,

True for 58,220 of us, but many lived to tell the tale.

Regards,
John
The last thing I want to do is get into a debate with a Vietnam veteran, but not sure what this has to do with the thread topic, which was about Clarkson using a racial slur on his show, which was shot in Myanmar.

Hod wrote:

My point about famous people is that no well-known person has publically objected. These people are busy and generally do a degree of charitable work. Their not objecting to Clarkson’s comments - seven months on - shows there are bigger worries in the world right now.
I was going to let this go, since you finally admitted that the term was not appropriate, but I still don't see how it matters that no famous people spoke out on it. They are often the last ones to speak out on subjects of social import, although I agree it certainly helps when they do.

Hod wrote:

Neither are those from India, and this is where one person has sought publicity for their own benefit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714815/Actress-speaks-pride-taking-Jeremy-Clarkson-race-row-Top-Gear-slope-bridge-comments.html

This is a minor celebrity at best. In fact, it’s not my opinion; I know she is seeking publicity from this.
Really? How exactly do you "know" this?
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I know? Because she isn't remotely famous for doing anything else.

It's not a five-minute job to instruct lawyers, give interviews, etc, and read all the internet abuse she got. I don't condone this last point, but I'd tell her to her face that she's seeking publicity and maybe her time would be better spent concentrating on her career as an actress.

Why doesn't she mention that Clarkson is a Patron for the UK charity Help for Heroes? Why doesn't Clarkson mention it himself? Answer: He doesn't need the publicity.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JoeKing,

"he last thing I want to do is get into a debate with a Vietnam veteran, but not sure what this has to do with the thread topic, which was about Clarkson using a racial slur on his show, which was shot in Myanmar."

If it's "the last thing" you want to do, why not address your grumbles to Mr. (or Ms) caliph, who quoted me? I was quite willing to leave it at my remark before that.

As for relevancy, well, if you're taking on the job of policing the threads for relevancy. I think you'll be busy 24/7.

Have fun.

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: