Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The BEd flaw of public school
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I stand corrected. Laughing Unlike some of the posters on the forum, you are lucky with me because I simply do not have an ego the size of a football field! LOL

So, you need a BA plus a certain number of course hours in education to be certified. But, from what I understand, the BA can be in ANY field and does not need to be a BEd. In New York City though, to get profesional level certification you must have a Master's degree. (I know this as I worked for the Department of Education which claims 100% of our teacher's have or are working on Master's degrees!).

The BS requirement for initial certification in NJ expires after a few years, so you have to do addional related coursework or an MA/MS to stay in the system.

I would recommend that if you want a better chance at jobs and to make teaching a career to do your additional course work through a recognized MA program.

Thanks for clarifying things for me BadBeagleBad!
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The BEd flaw of public school Reply with quote

Imdramayu wrote:
I hear time & time again of not enough ESL (or ESOL) teachers in the public schools in the US. One big reason for that: to become a public school teacher, one needs a BEd (even if one already has a MA.TESOL). It is a barrier that public school teachers and their unions cooked up to control the flow of teachers into the public schools and control who got in. Now it is back-firing.

To solve the current poor ESOL teaching in public schools, public schools should accept non-BEd degrees (for example: MA.TESOL OR MA.Ed, etc.).

Im
You don't necessarily need a B.Ed. There are alternative teacher certification programs (e.g. A+ Texas Teachers, Teach For America, and others) designed for people who have degrees that are not specifically B.Ed. Oh, and by the way, if you have an M.Ed. then you certainly don't need a B.Ed. since a master's in education is a higher education degree than a bachelor's in education. Also, some MATESOL programs in U. S. universities are geared toward teacher certification, as are some masters in applied linguistics programs.

Leaving all of the above aside, government schools in the U. S. are laying teachers off left and right: the teacher job market is pretty tight right now and openings are being scooped up by teachers who have been laid off from other schools/districts.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
In New Jersey and New York, an MA in education is the requirement for teacher certification - not a BEd.
Here in the evil empire known as The Empire State, someone can be hired as a teacher with a bachelors (and it doesn't necessarily have to be a B.Ed.) but all teachers with only bachelor's degrees have a certain period of time during which they must obtain a master's.
chinagirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: MEd vs certificate Reply with quote

Here in NY, I teach public school ESOL with a BA in English, a stand alone TESOL certificate designed for people teaching overseas, and an MEd with a concentration in TESOL. Frankly, the required coursework for TESOL certificates such as the CELTA and an MA in TESOL as opposed to the public school track (MEd TESOL) is quite different, at least it was at my university.

Public school teaching has different challenges than teaching ESOL at a university or in a language school, and requires different coursework. For example, have you ever taught refugees/SIFE students or worked with students who live in high concentrations of poverty? Administered state exams? Worked with parents/school psychologists/social workers? I teach in a large urban district and have taught in numerous other settings globally, including adult ed. I would not have been prepared to do what I do in a public school setting unless I had specifically gone back for an education degree, with an included student teaching component.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Getting a MEd with low BA grades but high MA grades Reply with quote

I'm Canadian with a MA in TESOL (high GPA) and BA (low GPA). I want to get professional teacher certification to teach/work in the Canadian public school system.

Would a BEd or MEd be a better choice (given my BA GPA is so low but the MA GPA is so high)?

Im
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting a MEd with low BA grades but high MA grades Reply with quote

Imdramayu wrote:
I'm Canadian with a MA in TESOL (high GPA) and BA (low GPA). I want to get professional teacher certification to teach/work in the Canadian public school system.

Would a BEd or MEd be a better choice (given my BA GPA is so low but the MA GPA is so high)?

Im

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=100594
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I apologize if I sound harsh in this post but there's so much misinformation online nowadays by so-called experts. I don't know about much but I am certainly an expert on my own experiences and I did not have a BA in Education. You can't even get such a BA in California. Anyway back to my post:

Not true about the "teaching degree." I have a BA in Anthro and have been teaching 24 years in public schools with 3 teaching credentials. I got mine through alternative certification which means the only thing I missed was the BA which in California is not in Education but Liberal Studies which is simply extended general education-coursework in math, science, English, history etc
I took and passed a subject matter test instead. I then went on to take the 2 years of teacher ed classes which led to a credential. My student teaching portion I did in my own classroom while being observed by a professor from my university.
In California the rules change every few years due to shortages, federal mandates (NCLB for example) or funding or how the wind is blowing so what is true this year may not be true the next.

In California there have been no separate ESL classes for 15 years. Students are taught in sheltered English.

And I agree with the poster who mentioned layoffs. At the moment there are no jobs to be had. No way would I go into teaching or encourage my children to do so right now. Pick something practical like nursing or MRI tech or even Speech Therapist which will get you a job.

Oh, and a Master's Degree is meaningless. Most states require their teachers to have Master's Degrees now anyway. Mine is in Educational Counseling. I'm now working on a second one in Applied LInguistics so I can teach community college or overseas. To work at community college in California they prefer you to speak Spanish and have experience teaching literacy since many of the students are functionally illiterate.

In California you can have a PhD in Applied Linguistics but if you don't have a CLAD (or BCLAD) credential you can't get a job teaching public school. It's now a requirement.

For anyone who's interested I got an email last week from San Francisco Unified School District. They're looking for credentialed teachers with BCLADs in Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: