Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Schools - Bilingual?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jampen26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: International Schools - Bilingual? Reply with quote

Can anyone give me advice on working as a primary teacher in International school?

Would I be looking at needing to be bilingual in a IB system?
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of advice? Are you looking to find a job at an international school or have you already been hired at one and you're looking for day-to-day type advice?

At an IB school or other international schools, as long as the school is conducted in English then presumably you will be teaching your subject in English -- which would be primary. There is no need to be bilingual as the language of the school is English.
Jampen26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify - I�d like to know how plausible it would be to find a job at an international school as a primary teacher with intermediate level spanish or thereabouts.

I�ve heard of shcools that start at 30% or so English at lower primary and only build to 100% english by the end of high school.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to one of the numerous international job fairs in the US. plenty of IB Schools in Colombia.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jampen26 wrote:
To clarify - I�d like to know how plausible it would be to find a job at an international school as a primary teacher with intermediate level spanish or thereabouts.

I�ve heard of shcools that start at 30% or so English at lower primary and only build to 100% english by the end of high school.

Yes, but if you were to get a job at an IB school, you would be teaching your certification area, which is primary. If there is a class conducted in Spanish/French/German, etc. you will not be teaching that class. So in other words, you will not be expected to teach in Spanish for the job that you receive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: