Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To get CELTA or NOT - Advice needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: To get CELTA or NOT - Advice needed Reply with quote

Ok, So i am about to leave to go teach in South Korea for a year.

After that I plan on moving to Colombia to teach for 6-12 months before I return to Korea for another 1yr stint. Then I will prob return to Colombia for one last time to teach.

btw, I have a degree. Not an edu. degree obviously..

So my question is, should I get the CELTA considering ill only be teaching in Colombia for about 2 years with experience teaching in Korea?

I am looking to find a job at a colegio or university. I dont wanna work at a language institute doing split shifts ect.

I will have local connections in a few cities that might be able to help me in the search.

I will be fluent in Spanish by the end of the year so that wont be a problem.

Im just trying to decide if getting a CELTA will be worth it as they are expensive and take a month to obtain.

Thanks, guys. Any advice much appreciated!
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say It's not necessary, but might be helpful to you, mostly in the area of increasing your knowledge and skill.

If you have a degree and a year of work experience teaching english (or will have at that time) I don't think landing a Colegio job will be particularly difficult. Having contacts is seriously the way to get a job. I have been gone for several months now and regularly get contacted about private classes and potential jobs at schools that somebody knows about.

The CELTA is no doubt a very good program and will help you understand what you are doing and help you to be a better teacher. If you are working in Korea, the cost wont seem as significant because the money is good there. For people only working in Colombia, particularly if they plan to only work for maybe 6 months, the CELTA is really, really expensive.

If you are searching because you want to know if it will be a specific requirement for you to get a job, I'm going to say no, your year exp. + Uni degree will suffice. If you want to know if I think its worth it, particularly since you are dedicating 2 years of your life to english teaching, I say yes.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be difficult to find a job teaching legally without some kind of certification. Look through the Colombia forum more...I think this question has been discussed in detail in other threads.
G22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that a CELTA will set you back at least $1500 US and takes a month to complete. You have to kind of evaluate it yourself as to whether or not it would be useful to you or not. If you don't plan on doing TEFL very long then skip it imo.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all about the cost and benefits of the CELTA.

And I know I can easily get a job at a Language Institute w/out a CELTA.

Im just unsure on how difficult it will be to get a job at a colegio without one considering ill have a 4 yr degree and 1 yr ESL experience in Korea.
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colegio work is pretty tough and CELTA isn't very good prep for it. A CELTA would probably help you get a colegio job, but it'd be more helpful in terms of getting uni work. With some luck you might be able to land a job at a uni, but it might take another year or 2 of experience and contacts to get that.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im just trying to decide if getting a CELTA will be worth it as they are expensive and take a month to obtain.

Probably worth it to your future students. Unless I missed it, you don't appear to have any training in teaching EFL. Whether or not you need a CELTA or other TEFL course to land a job in Colombia is not really the most important measure of its usefulness. A month doesn't really seem too long to spend learning some minimal skills before facing a classroom full of kids.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Quote:

Probably worth it to your future students. Unless I missed it, you don't appear to have any training in teaching EFL. Whether or not you need a CELTA or other TEFL course to land a job in Colombia is not really the most important measure of its usefulness. A month doesn't really seem too long to spend learning some minimal skills before facing a classroom full of kids.

I would have a year teaching EFL in Korea....

Im not trying to drop 2K if I dont need too
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It will be difficult to find a job teaching legally without some kind of certification.

I really disagree on this. I knew many people in different cities without a teaching degree or a cert who had legal documents and colegio jobs. Why didn't I work at a colegio? No college degree.

I actually think getting legal colegio work is way easier than getting legal uni work. A uni will hire you, provided you are legal to work in the country. If you aren't colombian or arent married to one, you are not going to get that legal work status without being sponsored by an employer, something the Unis typically won't do. I had a Uni job on the table but they required me to have a legal work visa to get it.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBravo wrote:
Quote:
It will be difficult to find a job teaching legally without some kind of certification.

I really disagree on this. I knew many people in different cities without a teaching degree or a cert who had legal documents and colegio jobs. Why didn't I work at a colegio? No college degree.

I actually think getting legal colegio work is way easier than getting legal uni work. A uni will hire you, provided you are legal to work in the country. If you aren't colombian or arent married to one, you are not going to get that legal work status without being sponsored by an employer, something the Unis typically won't do. I had a Uni job on the table but they required me to have a legal work visa to get it.

Oh yeah...colegio work is way easier to get than uni work. I don't think you'll find many people to argue otherwise.

Fair enough if you know people who teach in colegios with only a uni degree. I know the colegio I worked at wouldn't have hired me without the CELTA. In three years in Colombia, I don't know of anyone who has worked at a colegio who hasn't either had some sort of certification or gotten in through some sort of program (fulbright, etc.), but undoubtedly they're out there.

Personally, I think the way to go about getting a good, legal job in Colombia is coming in with a CELTA or Trinity, putting in your time working legally with whatever institute will get you a visa, and looking for a better job after you're established, have more contacts, and have stayed long enough to show an employer you know what you're getting into, you're not just passing through and will stick around long enough to make it worth it for them to hire you. I'm sure there's plenty of other people who have come in with no cert and with luck have just landed sweet jobs right off the bat...I also don't think it's a method I would recommend someone on the internet who wants advice on the best way to come to Colombia.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys!

Im thinking the best way to land a colegio job is to hit the ground and go to EVERY colegio in the city and talk to the school director & handout my CV.

Try to find one that will get me a work visa.

Then after landing a colegio job and a work visa, go to every University in the city and see if you can get a second job.

Then I guess If I simply cant find ANY colegio or University job after searching NUMEROUS cities than go ahead and get Language Institute job.

BTW how much should I expect to make working at a colegio?

I know that Language Institutes usually pay by the hour
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad plan...colegios and unis will depend a bit more on timing than institutes, and you'll probably be working 45-60 hours/week at a colegio job, (plus a fair bit of stress) so forget getting a second job. I would recommend IH before a uni job for your plan. They're not the best, but they'll pay you enough to get by and leave you with plenty of free time to dig around for other jobs. They'll also get you a work visa.

Colegio pay....2-4 million, depending on experience and luck.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Spanglish's Colegio Salary assessment. I knew one guy making less than 2 million at a colegio in Bogota and it was universally agreed he was getting ripped off. I'd say 2.5 is normal. And yeah I think Uni jobs are a dead end chase for most people, most of the time.

The big difference in getting Colegio jobs is that they typically start only once a year and are year-long contracts. With a language school there are a couple of down months, but you can often arrive and begin anytime and you work month to month.

So it partially depends on when you arrive. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong on this, but I think most Colombian schools start in September and end around June, similar to American/Canadian schools (again, I'm referring to Colegios.) I also think I've heard of some schools down out of the mountains (and possibly on the pacific side) which start in January. Fuzzy on the details here.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I wont be finishing up work in Korea till the end of August.

JonnyBravo wrote:
I'll second Spanglish's Colegio Salary assessment. I knew one guy making less than 2 million at a colegio in Bogota and it was universally agreed he was getting ripped off. I'd say 2.5 is normal. And yeah I think Uni jobs are a dead end chase for most people, most of the time.

The big difference in getting Colegio jobs is that they typically start only once a year and are year-long contracts. With a language school there are a couple of down months, but you can often arrive and begin anytime and you work month to month.

So it partially depends on when you arrive. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong on this, but I think most Colombian schools start in September and end around June, similar to American/Canadian schools (again, I'm referring to Colegios.) I also think I've heard of some schools down out of the mountains (and possibly on the pacific side) which start in January. Fuzzy on the details here.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys.

Im leaving Korea a lot sooner than expected and moving to south florida before I head to Colombia.

Do colegios start in september or august?

Im thinking the best time to go and start the job search would be in june or july.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: