Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to Drive in Poland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheeseandegg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Learning to Drive in Poland Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm a British citizen from Isle of Man and I've been in Poland for almost three years. As I'm living in a small town I think it's now the time for me to learn to drive and get a license. I had lessons back home 10 years ago but unfortunately I failed my test. Since then I've only occasionally driven illegaly. Have any of you taken driving lessons and a test in Poland? I know it's possible and that some test centres let you do the written exam in English but so far I haven't found any driving schools which claim to offer even a bit of English. Any ideas? Maybe I'd be OK with just Polish as I guess it's easy to understand when the instructor wants you to slow the *beep* down.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to Drive in Poland Reply with quote

cheeseandegg wrote:
I know it's possible and that some test centres let you do the written exam in English but so far I haven't found any driving schools which claim to offer even a bit of English. Any ideas? Maybe I'd be OK with just Polish as I guess it's easy to understand when the instructor wants you to slow the *beep* down.

No they do not let you do that. You must take the tests in Polish. You can have a sworn interpreter with you for the written and practical test but you can not take the tests in English.

There are certainly driving schools in Warsaw which teach in English and there are a couple of sworn translators who will 'help' you take the written test and will not charge you if you fail....
cheeseandegg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - not the best news but at least I know.

If anyone knows of any driving instructors who speak a wee bit of English in/around Wroclaw, Kalisz, Lodz or Ostrow Wlkp please let me know.
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 years ago, in England, I lost my driving licence, following - as an English politician once put it - a moment of madness. Now I'm in Poland and wanting to get a new licence. Reason being, that I want to leave Poland and take a job elsewhere that requires s.o. with a licence.

I speak and read pretty good Polish, so the language is not an issue. However, would I able to take the Polish licence and use it abroad / is it poss. to upgrade it to an international licence?

Thanks for any advice.
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an international permit to accompany your Polish license, this must be done in Poland. I looked into it once, I think it takes some ridiculous amount of time to process so you should start sooner than later.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Learning to Drive in Poland Reply with quote

Alex Shulgin wrote:

No they do not let you do that. You must take the tests in Polish. You can have a sworn interpreter with you for the written and practical test but you can not take the tests in English.

There are certainly driving schools in Warsaw which teach in English and there are a couple of sworn translators who will 'help' you take the written test and will not charge you if you fail....

I took my written test in English here and then the same translator went in the car to translate for the practical.

For the written, you'll have two tests, they are identical tests, just that one is in English and the other is in Polish. You need to write the correct answer on a separate piece of paper.

I bought a CD in English that helps you prepare for the test.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you read the book could you let me know if Poles are supposed to accelerate towards crossing pedestrians? It happens so damn often that it must be in the book.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrvatski wrote:
Once you read the book could you let me know if Poles are supposed to accelerate towards crossing pedestrians? It happens so damn often that it must be in the book.

It's a cultural thing rather than what's allow and what's not allowed.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took the written part in Warsaw a few years ago it was computer-based. You just look at the question and push A, B, or C for the correct answer. Lund is right about the CD. Get it! There is a bank of 500 questions, they choose like 20 for the test and you can miss maybe 3 or so, I forget. Just run through the CD a bunch of times and you should pass no problem. Rote memorization is still the best way to learn Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Learning to Drive in Poland Reply with quote

Alex Shulgin wrote:
cheeseandegg wrote:
I know it's possible and that some test centres let you do the written exam in English but so far I haven't found any driving schools which claim to offer even a bit of English. Any ideas? Maybe I'd be OK with just Polish as I guess it's easy to understand when the instructor wants you to slow the *beep* down.

Not true at all, and hasn't been true since the introduction of computerised theory tests. The rule is very simple - if you take the theory test in English (or German) - then you need a sworn translator to be present throughout both tests regardless of your ability in Polish. However, the theory test is in English - I should know, I passed last year and did it in English.

Quote:

All big cities have courses specifically for English speakers, but I'd actually recommend just calling around - I had one hour with a different instructor for the hell of it, and found one that spoke English easily.

I'd doubt if any sworn translator would dare 'help' in any way beyond the required translation - they have a very specific legal basis, and being caught helping a candidate would result in their 'licence' being revoked instantly, I imagine. I'm also certain that there's no way they'll do the test for free if you fail - in fact, it may not even be legal for them to do so.

Quote:
I speak and read pretty good Polish, so the language is not an issue. However, would I able to take the Polish licence and use it abroad / is it poss. to upgrade it to an international licence?

The main requirement is that you're legally resident in Poland for more than 185 days, with a valid residency certificate/permit. The rule, as interpreted by the various WORD offices, is that cannot take the test unless you're past the first 185 days of legal residency (as determined by the certificate).

Using it in the EU is no issue, and a three year international driving permit costs 20zl, available at your local licence issuing centre. I have one right here Smile

However - one issue. You can only hold *one* EU licence at any one time. If you have a still-valid UK licence, then you need to get that and exchange it. If it was revoked in the UK, then you can't drive in the EU.

Now - in real terms, it means - if you have a revoked UK licence, then whatever you do, don't drive in the UK. Outside the UK? Whatever.

cheeseandegg - if you want to do an intensive course, you could come to Poznan - I know one very, very, very good instructor (who got me through the test perfectly) who speaks excellent English who would accommodate you. He has quite a good track record with first time passes Smile
PierogiMonster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all, especially delphian-domine for your time.

J.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some instances there can be problems in other countries if the country of origin of your licence and passport are different.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desertdawg wrote:
In some instances there can be problems in other countries if the country of origin of your licence and passport are different.

No-one cares in Europe about that.

I've used my British passport and Polish driving licence all over Europe, including Albania - and no-one cared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: