Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambodia to Costa Rica - a good move?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnmartin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Cambodia to Costa Rica - a good move? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been living in South East Asia for the last 6 years teaching English (Cambodia and Thailand). I am thinking of having a change and giving Costa Rica a try.

A quick lowdown on how it is out here - $1000 / month salary easily obtained (25hrs/week.) Cost of living here very cheap, about half of that in CR from what I can research.

Anyway, I have a CELTA but no degree (though am currently doing an on-line degree).

Any ideas as to whether it is worth the move or not? I am aware I will have to put up with a pay cut in effect and having spent a considerable time in developing countries am not especially looking for the 'ethnic experience' .

How easy would it be to get work in the thousand dollar range without a degree anyway?

thanks
globalcitizen1968

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambodia to Costa Rica - a good move? Reply with quote

nnmartin wrote:
How easy would it be to get work in the thousand dollar range without a degree anyway?

Laughing Laughing Good one amigo! Even if you could get that in CR it would fluctuate every month most likely. You see, Latin America is not a good place to go if you are looking to make money. Try Japan or the Middle East.

Let me tell you what happens in Mexico, especially Mexico City...you won't get paid on time. I know someone who is working for the SEP in Mexico City right now and they have been waiting to get paid since August!! True story.

Do you want to wait two months to get your check?? Any plans on how you will pay rent during that time? Language schools in Mexico City are also known to hardly ever pay on time or if they do it is not the full amount. So, not getting paid on time is just one problem you will face in Latin America amigo.

Another problem is the salaries are VERY LOW in EFL, especially in Mexico City. Again, you're better off in Japan or the Middle East, but you will most likely need a Masters for the Middle East. If you go anywhere in Latin America, make sure you take a TON of savings with you because the salaries in EFL are VERY LOW here, especially in Mexico City, and you may have to WAIT FOR MONTHS to get paid.

Good luck my friend.
jprimm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in your cost comparisons. I think you would have a very hard time finding work without a college degree. I would suggest you stay put until you get your degree.
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International House seems to have a decent branch in Costa Rica. I doubt they care if you have a degree, but contact them to be sure. With a few years of post-CELTA experience, I think you'd be able to get hired on with them.
nnmartin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalCitizen: From what you say Mexico doesn't sound so great but is this also the case in CR?

Even with degree the pay doesn't seem so good for the general Tefl teacher in CR - is it really worth coming over to look for work - how about just a holiday instead?

Living out here in Cambodia on $1000 / month with the low cost of living is fine but even so one still has to be careful with expenses and live modestly.
To earn less in a more expensive country doesn't sound too appealing yet I still would like to give it a try.

any words of infinite wisdom from those living out in CR?

thanks
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnmartin wrote:
GlobalCitizen: From what you say Mexico doesn't sound so great but is this also the case in CR?

OP, you might want to get the opinions of more credible posters before accepting this at face value.
globalcitizen1968

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnmartin wrote:

It's the case in Latin America in general mt friend. I have known people who taught in Mexico (I did myself) Central and South America and I can tell you that the salaries ar LOW. There really is no way around that FACT. I'm etlling you what my friends who used to LIVE and WORK in these palces have told me and I lived in Mexico City FOR YEARS teaching EFL.

Latin America and especially Mexico and Mexico City, do NOT pay. I would stay put and as far as living modest...you have to get used to that as long as you're doing a JOB that has very little regulations. Head to Japan or South Korea...developed countries.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Latin America and especially Mexico and Mexico City, do NOT pay. I would stay put and as far as living modest...you have to get used to that as long as you're doing a JOB that has very little regulations. Head to Japan or South Korea...developed countries.

Have to agree with AGoodStory and Glenski here...better to get info from the people here with experience in Costa Rica, or Japan or Korea for that matter. First up, no degree means both Japan and South Korea are pretty much out.

Mexico, and Mexico City in particular are about the only places in LA where making $1000 a month are possible without a degree but with exp. and the CELTA. There was an odd reference to SEP (public education) which doesn't apply to you, but private colegios working with kids is possible if you have some experience in this area. You can get over $1000 a month there.

But since you didn't ask about Mexico...

I don't think you can get up $1000 in Costa Rica...$600 to $750 is more likely. Best wait for a poster in Costa Rica to firm up that detail though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
globalcitizen1968

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnmartin wrote:

Remember amigo, I had a friend who taught and lived there for a little over five years and HE is the one who told me to avoid CR like the plague. And remember something very important about Mexico and Mexico City...salaries are late most of the time and the rest of the time you may not get paid the full amount they iwe you.

So, again....take a LOT of savings with you if you decide to go to Mexico City or LA to teach EFL. You'll need it...for everything.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Costa Rica Forum.

This means postings here must focus on Costa Rica. If not, they will be deleted and sanctions issued as warranted.

Members pursing personal agendas or looking to stir up things usually don't last too long on this board. Members observing such behavior or any inappropriate postings are asked to report them promptly to the Mod Team by Report Post or PM.
nnmartin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$600 - $750 / month sounds low when I've looked at the living costs in Costa Rica.

Is it really possible to live off that kind of salary without another income source?

Factoring in the cost of living it would be like living in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on around $300 - $400 month - that would be grim to say the least! (possible in theory but ultimately pointless)

Is CR such a great place that anyone could realistically state that living off 'Tefl-only' there is worthwhile?

thanks again.
tuanis mae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1000 a month is possible but difficult. $8per hour means you need 30 hours per week. $800 is more realistic. $250 for rent with a roommate, leaves you with $500 spending money, which is plenty. Not Korea plenty, but good enough to live comfortably. As for not getting paid on time, Ive been here for 8 years and Ive never heard of anyone not getting paid all their money on time.
nnmartin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuanis mae wrote:
. $250 for rent with a roommate.

are you saying that a single room would be $500/month and you would need to share it with another to bring the price down to $250 each?

how much could you get a room for one person with bathroom per month - a cheap one but obviously not in an area where you would likely get mugged every day?

$500 month spending money after rent to then include all bills , food, visa etc.. sounds like I'd have to be bringing my orange robe over from Asia!
tuanis mae

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2 bedroom apartment or house will normally rent for about $500 per month. Electricity, water and phone will be about $70 divided by how many roommates you have. And believe it or not after all is said and done, you will have enough left over to live comfortably. Im sure $500 spending money would be hard in Asia, but down here its enough. Nobody is rolling in money, but the majority of teachers are happy down here and have a comfortable lifestyle. Ive noticed that most of the comments on the Costa Rica forum about how the pay is so low and its impossible to live down here, are from people who have never taught down here. Costa Rica is a really beautiful country and a great place to live.
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: We are in Costa Rica Captain Reply with quote

Quote:

nmartin is coming from another poor country and is taken back by the high cost of rent in Costa Rica.

It is easy to stay within the TOS because this thread is not about anyplace else.

It is about the ratio of Salary to Cost of RENT , in Costa Rica.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: