Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Center in Calama info?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jam2ymsb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: International Center in Calama info? Reply with quote

I recently received a job offer from International Center and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them. It sounds like a good offer and includes housing which would help me a lot. Want to know if they pay on time and what the management is like.
Thank you
Poison Ivy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: International Center Reply with quote

After having worked for several months for this institute in 2011 I can honestly say that I learned something about scam institutes in this country and what an actual waste of time it is to work for one of these supposedly reliable institutes, IC (International Center) in Calama being one of them.

Firstly, the supposed teaching method they so blatantly post on their website is no teaching method at all. They give you some textbooks (nothing more than simple vocabulary basically) and you�ve got to repeat everything in the mediocre book! They said to me when I arrived that the most important thing is that I get the student�s signature for attendance of class in order to collect the money. As far as teaching method is concerned the student basically doesn�t acquire much as far as learning a new language is concerned. Great for IC! They get the student to register once more!
Then there is the supposedly high pay a teacher acquires from this institute. Nothing more than a lie, they still owe me money (and a bunch of others as well), not only me but also the government of Chile. The 10% they �pay� in taxes for every teacher from their salary is never declared to the government. Where do you think it goes?? right in the owner�s pocket, so forget about your tax return. Another issue that has happened is that they overcharged a big government owned copper mine in this country (You know which one, starts with a C) by charging them for students that didn�t even exist! I know this as a fact. Anyway, that�s my two cents regarding this institute, I would advice you to seriously re-consider working for these scam artists as they are creating a bad name for themselves amongst big corporations in this country.
jam2ymsb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I already accepted the job. The book as you said is a complete joke but I've only been here for 3 weeks and no one has entered my classes so I can add a lot of material if I choose. If anyone else reads this and is considering working here only do so if really need the money. Classes are constantly cancelled but supposedly I will still receive my salary. They don't seem to really care about informing you of anything here and if a session gets cancelled you can end up sitting around for hours at the mine to be told 10 mins late that that session is cancelled and have to wait 2 more hours for another class that may or may not be cancelled. Make sure you like to read. Also they say everyday involves lunch but if your afternoon classes get cancelled and you don't teach past 2:30 even if you're there waiting for a ride there will be no lunch when you return at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Just a heads up to anyone interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: