Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahrain Polytechnic Interview
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van Gogh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Bahrain Polytechnic Interview Reply with quote

Has anyone else had an interview with the Bahrain Polytechnic recently and tried to answer the 'triangle' question?
gulfedout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Why?? Reply with quote

There are so many fantastically paying GCC jobs advertised at the moment in Qatar and the UAE, why would you want to sell your soul and work in Bahrain? Although not as bad as the despicable University of Bahrain, The Polytechnic is still under the shadow of the Ministry of Education, the Bahrain Government. Yes, the same folks found to be systematically torturing its own people.

http://www.bahrainrights.org/en/node/4862

or if you are within Bahrain and the above is blocked go here:

http://mikediboll.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/my-testimony-the-university-of-bahrain-incident-13th-march-2011/
Van Gogh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly answers my question, does it Gulfedout? Not very nice of you to use other people's postings as your personal political soap box.
gulfedout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was very nice of me to warn you what you're letting yourself in for.

Tony M's comment at the bottom of this article might make you think twice though but maybe you're only looking at the $$$$$$$$s in which case I am sorry to have bothered you.

http://chronicle.com/article/2-Reports-Denounce-Bahrain-for/129907/

(MOD edit: don't use full names)
PillyLilly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Triangle question Reply with quote

It's about your creativity. Relate it to student-centred learning. They're having trouble getting people, so .... be creative. Once you have the job, being creative will be the least of your problems.
Chuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahrain Polytechnic is going to be interviewing at TESOL Arabia next month. Does anyone have updated information on what it's like to work there?

Student motivation level, curriculum, class size, admin support (or otherwise), salary, benefits (housing, flights, etc..) time off, and anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks.
nfig77

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nfig77 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 am; edited 3 times in total
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my EFL colleagues in Bahrain this place has a very high turnover of its EFL teachers...the students (not the management) decide if YOU will keep your job or not!!!! YOU have to PLEASE them and ALWAYS PASS Them!!! Shocked
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must ensure that all students score above average !
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
YOU have to PLEASE them and ALWAYS PASS Them!!! Shocked

Sounds like a majority of the Middle East, Saudi Arabia especially!
nwtefl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Bahrain Poly Reply with quote

I was contacted by an agency about the job in Bahrain Poly and they told me the money was between X ( I can't remember exactly) and 2500 pm. In my mind, I have the right qualifications and experience, and so I filled in the pre-screening questionnaire (which seems to just be for the agency), and said I would expect 2500. The agency emailed me the day after informing "to be honest, you won't get 2500 - only Delta qualified candidates will get this, would you reconsider?"

What annoys me is the agency making the decision, not the college itself. Okay maybe the college has a remit that if a candidate does not have X then blah blah blah. However, I think the agency should submit my application and see that the college say - the agency could say, "okay he does not have a Delta, but he has X, Y, Z."

The agency is there to get commission, so no submission = no comission, so why not try ?

Also, if they are having problems recruiting people then why are they being so fussy ? Or maybe they haven't a clue what they are looking for.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or maybe they are of the opinion that a DELTA is crucial...

Common for ME places to be impressed by bits of paper that may or may not be needed for a position. Not many applicants will have the DELTA as it isn't that common in the Gulf... so it may take them awhile.

VS
nwtefl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which makes me think they have been told by someone the Delta is essential, yet there are other qualifications which would equally suffice !
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
I was contacted by an agency about the job in Bahrain Poly and they told me the money was between X ( I can't remember exactly) and 2500 pm. In my mind, I have the right qualifications and experience, and so I filled in the pre-screening questionnaire (which seems to just be for the agency), and said I would expect 2500. The agency emailed me the day after informing "to be honest, you won't get 2500 - only Delta qualified candidates will get this, would you reconsider?"

What annoys me is the agency making the decision, not the college itself. Okay maybe the college has a remit that if a candidate does not have X then blah blah blah. However, I think the agency should submit my application and see that the college say - the agency could say, "okay he does not have a Delta, but he has X, Y, Z."

It's unclear what you mean when you say you have the "right" qualifications and experience. An older ad for Bahrain Polytechnic states a BA in English Linguistics or related subject is essential; however, a relevant MA is preferred. Under TEFL qualifications, a Delta is preferred over a CELTA. If you just have the essentials, the recruiter isn't likely to offer you top salary. By the way, the recruiter is aware of what they can offer, but it's the employer that has the final word on salaries. In your case, I don't see what's fishy about their response.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was hoping my Applied Linguistics Masters would help my case. I'm sure I can get put forward for the job, but knowing that they wont accept me on 2500, I am unsure how low to go.

I have a colleague in Bahrain in a primary school 2000 + 500 allowance, so........

Also the Bahrain Poly job is all inclusive.

I'm interested but I think it's ridiculous to ask the candidate how much they would like. The agency said it would be between X and Y, so just submit me and tell me later : this is how much the institution will pay you. Not "you won't get this" -okay so tell me how much I will get.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: