Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post-Bac study in TESOL NYU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vecchia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Post-Bac study in TESOL NYU Reply with quote

Hi does anyone have any experience with this course at NYU?
Post-Baccalaureate Study in TESOL (TEPB-ADCRT) - Advanced Certificate Program.

I've been thinking of doing an MA TESOL but I'm not sure if I want to go all the way yet. This seems like a good certificate to test the water.

A little about me: BA(hons) French & European Studies, CELTA and 2 years experience (UK, Sudan, Brazil)

Many thanks
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYU and Columbia are the most expensive schools in NYC. Fordham, Bank Street, and Pace are also quite expensive (but not as much so). Compare the tuition to the City University of NYC (City College and Hunter College are where a lot of colleagues of mine went to school). If money is not an issue, I have some advice below regarding what your overall employment purpose is.

It really depends on where you want to go with your education. These two schools (with grad work) would get you the best "in" to become a professor. The name recognition / connections seem to do that. Almost all of my professors / sessional teachers at Long Island University and City College, City University of New York were in the throes of a PhD program either at NYU or Columbia Univesity.

If you are interested in public school teaching, I would go directly to the MS/MA level. It is easiest and cheapest to do this through the NYC Teaching Fellows program. The degree will be heavily subsized (I completed mine for about $4000, which was taken slowly from pay checks while working as a teacher), and they will help you with job placement. This route would give you a good chance for work, but expect to start out in a high needs school - this means low income and / or high number of students on IEPs (special ed students).

My experience at a special ed school was a good one although the politics of public school teaching both within and without schools in NYC is horrendous!

You have a CELTA, so it sounds like you already have a post-graduate certificate in a sense. You are qualified to work at conversation schools, non-profit organizations, and private schools. But, I would say whether you become a public school teacher or not, an MS / MA would be a better way to go. If I were interviewing you for a job in NYC, I wouldn't be very clear on the difference between CELTA and Post-Graduate Certificate in NYC at least. To me it sounds kind of like getting 2 BAs in the same specialty area (I know it's not - but to me it would look like that on paper!)

Your post-graduate certificate would take a year? Why not do 2 years and get the MA? Also, if you do decide to do the MA / MS, I recommend specializing in public school teaching even if you end up doing something else. It will give you the greatest flexibility and something to fall back on. A program like the teaching fellows has a 3 years commitment to work and study at the same time. I thanked NYC and am now teaching at a nicer job at a private high school in Japan.

Just a few cents worth. Take it or leave it. Education is also fun for education's sake and you make be able to turn your post-graduate cert into an MA / MS with further study.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
You have a CELTA, so it sounds like you already have a post-graduate certificate in a sense. ...If I were interviewing you for a job in NYC, I wouldn't be very clear on the difference between CELTA and Post-Graduate Certificate in NYC at least. To me it sounds kind of like getting 2 BAs in the same specialty area (I know it's not - but to me it would look like that on paper!)

They're definitely not the same level of certification. The difference is that the CELTA does not require a bachelors degree; it's not an accredited uni/college qualification. Whereas, an undergrad degree, along with approval for admission into graduate school, is required for a post-graduate TESOL certificate.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of this. But, in NYC an employer may not understand this nuance. An MA / MS would be a clear next step.

Again that's my two cents worth, and that's about all I have to say on this subject.
Vecchia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the replies. I emailed the co coordinator in charge of TESOL at NYU and he replied stating that with the Celta and experience I have, doing the post bac certificate will be of little value. This is mainly because I will have already covered most of the classes already albeit in less depth. He recommended an MA Tesol to reach the next 'plateau'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: