Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The British Institute
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.pin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: The British Institute Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am planning to work for The British Institute in Indonesia but I would just like to get some feedback from people who are currently working there or have previously worked for the school. Please let me know about your experience there because this will greatly help me with deciding on whether to move to the country and live in Indonesia for a year.

Thank you!
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one? They have about fifteen branches across Indonesia so comments about TBI Bandung, for example, won't be much use if you're planning to work at TBI Surabaya. Most of these schools are franchised so although they conform to certain things (such as curriculum and branding) other things (such as wages, management etc) can be very different.
s.pin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBI Cibubur
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't know anything about them, they've only been open a while.

Do bear in mind though that Cibubur is a fair way out of central Jakarta, so I wouldn't imagine there's a great deal in terms of entertainment there.

Also, consider what salary they're offering. AFAIK, the three central branches (Kuningan, Sudirman and Fatmawati) pay about 14.5 million so if Cibubur are offering substantially lower you might be better trying to get into one of the these branches - better money and location. I'd imagine at least one of the above currently have vacancies.

Good luck, anyway.
sushikurva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: The British Institute Reply with quote

Last edited by sushikurva on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
s.pin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have an English degree.
princesss

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one to avoid at all costs is TBI Bekasi Sun City. Met 2 ex-teachers who told me scary stories about not being paid salaries and so on. TBI doesnt seem to step in and help teachers when things go wrong at the smaller TBI schools
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to get a job through the British Institute you normally have to have a Celta. On their online application process you have to list your CELTA, and if you don't it is considered incomplete. Nothing on the application for listing another certificate ie. TEFL, TESOL.
princesss

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about that. I know someone without a degree in any subject who has had work at TBI Kuningan. All last year they had casuals coming and going. They can't get enough qualified teachers. They sometimes offer people 3 month schedules or gentlemen's agreement or something from what I read on the thread on here These are at your own risk if Immigration comes knocking. They used to have 3 CELTA trainers I heard but now they are down to 1. Standards are not high these days If you want to work there without proper credentials I say give it a go.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBI has axed its expat school managers over the last 5 years (with one nepotistic exception) and slowly replaced them with "low-cost" locals. Anyone who has criticized the policy has been subjected to a smear campaign accusing them of being crazy, incompetent, hated etc. Out of 16 schools, there is only 1 managed by an expat now. All of them used to be expat-managed. Surprise, surprise this exception happens to be the best friend of the main axe-man who got rid of all the others. This guy does not even have a degree- he told many people this himself- but the company has no standards anymore, just endless internal politicking.

There have also been many problems with Immigration at many of their schools. In 2007 they made national news when British teachers were deported from TBI Bogor in a raid. Even though TBI had put them on the wrong visa- namely a business consultant visa- TBI Head Office didn't lift a finger to help them and just ordered fresh expats from the online job recruitment forums. I have copies of the newspaper reports if anyone wants to see them. Even now they still use the same "business consultant visas" and fly some of their teachers in and out of Singapore every couple of months to renew them. These are the same practices that resulted in raids and deportations in the past. I don't know why they don't just raise salaries to get more qualified teachers with the right degree, but the local Senior Management are allergic to spending money these days.

Here is a link to a thread on here where Dave's user 'limakaki' accuses TBI of lying about the fact that there are no management jobs for expats at TBI. 'Limakaki' also says that no one would want to work for TBI if they have more than a CELTA. This person appears later in this thread ludicrously attacking me for criticizing TBI, but he was doing it himself just 15 months ago! His old comments are true, but he is now flatly contradicting himself because of his friendship with a current TBI manager. Still, you can see how flatly he contradicts his own story.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=90957

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 am; edited 3 times in total
MadRiley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this sort of thing is common all around Asia. A lot of the schools in China are little more than a front for black market money too. Still how can people be so surprised that this this company is engaged in coruption? We are talking about a nation which routinely tops 'Worst of Asia' lists in terms of corruption.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of The British Institute, there have indeed been many instances of entrenched corruption. Like many other language schools in Jakarta, they run a scam where they steal expat teachers' bonus month salaries. Allow me to explain.

Every employee in Indonesia is entitled to a bonus extra months's salary paid in conjunction with a religious festival. It is called THR. Most Indonesians are Muslims, so it is paid at Lebaran, the end of the fasting month. Some companies pay it to Christians at Xmas but others just pay everyone at Lebaran, regardless of religion. Expat teachers are entitled to this bonus pay just like everyone else, but the language school 'mills' have created a nice little money spinner by banking on the ignorance of expats about Indonesian law.

TBI has never paid THR to expats at any of their branches, however they are required by law to put it aside. At TBI Kuningan (their supposed 'good' school) expat teachers' salaries have reached a total of $18,000 per month for many years. That means each year someone in Senior Management has pocketed the $18,000 which is legally supposed to go to expat teachers. At all the 5 "group schools" combined, you could put the total wages at twice that, so someone is taking home a massive chunk of money by scamming expat teachers in the company. I have spoken to someone who works in tax within Indonesia, so I am sure about the legalities here.

TBI is a VERY nice money-spinner for a corrupt inner elite. They randomly fire school managers all the time and blame the school managers for all the problems within the schools. However the real problem in TBI is that it is being looted through various scams such as the THR matter and never investing student payments in marketing or facilities. They are cheap and haven't updated their computers and other facilities for many, many years. The Senior Management are there because they can get rich off various illegal practices and have very little interest in education. It is all just a front. The teachers direct their frustrations against the school managers who Senior Management willingly throw to the lions every so often, using them as a scapegoat for frustrations. TBI Kuningan is on its 6th manager in 7 years. The real problem has been the Director, who never appears in schools except to fire people! The people she has surrounded herself with do nothing but lie to cover up the scams and tax evasion.

In the end you can see how little TBI really cares for its teachers by their complete indifference when various expats complained that they were cheated and lied to by the school owner of TBI Bekasi Sun City. The same Senior Managers who pretend that THR doesn't exist, simply ignored the problem and refused to even answer the emails of cheated teachers at TBI Bekasi. "It's a franchise school...there is nothing we can do," is their mantra. But finally in the last couple of years the truth has been leaking out, and it's a pretty ugly tale whichever way you look at it.
limakaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
In terms of The British Institute, there have indeed been many instances of entrenched corruption......

Yawn. As with EF Swara Group, much of the vitriol directed against TBI comes from disaffected former staff. For example much to the relief of most of the staff, the manager of a central TBI school was fired over a year ago for insulting a customer, and has been attacking the school ever since.

TBI is not perfect - no school is - but please treat this kind of unsubstantiated claim with a grain of salt.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limakaki wrote:
bradleycooper wrote:
In terms of The British Institute, there have indeed been many instances of entrenched corruption......

Yawn. As with EF Swara Group, much of the vitriol directed against TBI comes from disaffected former staff. For example much to the relief of most of the staff, the manager of a central TBI school was fired over a year ago for insulting a customer, and has been attacking the school ever since.

TBI is not perfect - no school is - but please treat this kind of unsubstantiated claim with a grain of salt.

Here is another comment from another user called Ragil- the thread is now locked, but scroll through Ragil's messages and you will find it. In it this is what Ragil has to say about a former manager from TBI Malang:

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:14 am Post subject:
Right. Didn't stop TBI Malang's previous DOS who (not for reasons quite possibly unrelated to educational qualifications - or lack thereof - was a complete philistine and likely psychotic) didn't even have a degree, let alone a relevant major of any kind.

[Nor did this particular individual appear to own footwear which utilised laces, but I digress ...]

Anyway, it didn't stop said DOS's cv or fabricated testamurs from making claims to the contrary. Such is the problem with corruption (or casual footwear): Completely unacceptable, unless it suits one's interests or can be gotten away with....

So here we have yet another post on here where a TBI DOS is accused of being psychotic, a philistine and using fake degrees. This one comes from TBI Malang.
I ask the user why so many former DOSes from TBI are accused of being crazy when they criticize TBI. The pattern is obvious. But why was this previous DOS (according to Ragil) able to get by with faked testamurs? What is wrong with TBI management that hire 'shoeless philistines' with faked testamurs? Doesn't some of the mud have to stick to TBI itself at some point. Can they really just palm off responsibility on persecuted individuals forever?
The truth, as I have said, is that DOS after DOS has been fired at TBI for no good reason except the 'Business Development Manager" has it in for them. (They have now replaced all expat managers but one crony with cheap Indonesians. Anyone could see the $$$ behind this policy). Former DOSes fired due to cost cutting and for personal grudges then get their name blackened by people calling them psychotic or whatever. But surely TBI has to take some responsibility for their own actions. Even if we accept Ragil's smear campaign against past DOSes, doesn't it show that the judgement of TBI is poor that they hired such a person in the first place? Is Ragil to be distrusted when he comes on here calling TBI DOses from Malang 'psychotic'? This is highly inflammatory language. When will TBI man up and admit that it has lost its way?
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll try this again.

If the insults, hyperbole and ad hominem comments continue, the makers of which will be issued a permanent exit order from this board.

I kid you not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: