Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever work in Brussels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karazahara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever work in Brussels? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I just recently moved to Brussels and I am looking to teach english. Has any ever taught english here? I would like to have some contacts as I haven't heard back from any of the schools I've contacted. I have a few years of experience and also speak French so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Kara
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, do you have a legal right to work in the EU (meaning a passport from an EU member country in addition to your Canadian one)?
Without this, your chances in Belgium are nil, basically.

I lived and taught in Benelux for about eight years altogether, and still do project work there.

The teaching market in this region is very small and relatively poorly paid at the entry level - which you are, unless you've got certification and qualifications you haven't mentioned. You are also at a bad time of the year - most contracts are September - June.

If you have a legal right to work, your best chances might be at CERAN, in Spa (you can google it) or in Luxembourg. Otherwise, it will just be the few private language schools scattered around, essentially - and as I've mentioned, it's not a good time of year to try to land work. There is usually a bump in January.
karazahara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have french/canadian citizenship, a TESL certificate and 2 years of work experience. I have an apartment in the center of Brussels so I'm really looking for something around Brussels. If you know of anyone who's worked near here or any information about it, please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

Kara
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed three teachers from Brussels who were looking for work in the Netherlands, because there was so little around in the city. This was just about a year ago. The job market is really quite small and tight. You will probably be best off to just drop off your CV at all the schools you can find, and hopefully something will come up around January. There are usually a few teachers who don't return after winter holidays, and contracts that start at the first of the new year. The problem now is just that it's not the hiring season - most everyone signed contracts in September.

You might also try to get some private students - it might help to put up flyers at high schools and universities in your area offering English language tutoring, and maybe writing support.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: