Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

us citizen, visa question. How hard is a work visa to get?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
da.fein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: us citizen, visa question. How hard is a work visa to get? Reply with quote

I am a certified teacher in Chile. My intention is to go to Brazil to teach. A Brazilian friend told me not to go to Brazil with a tourist visa to teach, for many reasons.

Soo, do English School Institutes do the diplomatic work to sponsor a work visa? Does anyone have any experience with this? How hard is it to acquire a work visa? Can you acquire a work visa while in chile, as a US Citizen?

Any information is appreciated, good luck to you all.....
Vecchia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on a tourist visa is fine, everybody does it. You are highly unlikely to get a work visa through a school. Work visas take a long time to process and they are also costly so employers shy away from that area. Also, there are many high quality Brazilian teachers here who are very able to teach for a pitiful salary.
To get a work visa here you need to prove you can do a job that a Brazilian can't.
Finally, you need to apply for a work visa from your home country. You cannot come here on a tourist visa and then 'switch' to another.
Good luck!
Tarkaan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just popped in here to ask a question:

If it's so common here to work on a tourist visa, how do I stay for more than 6 months?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: