Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How boring is Riyad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JalanJalan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: How boring is Riyad? Reply with quote

I've been reading the various posts, including the answers to my post. It seems that a common thread is that most people who discribe Saudi Arabia include boring in their lists. Since I'm considering a position in Riyad, I like some more insight.

I am a people person and single. Are there no clubs/social forums to meet people (board game, Hash house harriers, SCUBA, hiking, martial arts, etc.)?

If not, or if so, what would you say is the most common way of spending a weekend? Any good get-away weekend places easily reachable from Riyad?

Someone mentioned s/he did a lot of reading. If I am alone, I prefer television. Is there satelite/cable tv available and/or video rentals? Are there any cinemas or concerts?

I like to explore/travel. Is driving around the kingdom or into the neighboring countries an option?

Because of debt and the need to finance my journeys I will probably still take the position if offered even if it is boring, but I wouldn't mind an alternative to staring at the 4 walls of my apartment.

Thanks
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Sid asked previously, why not consider Japan?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellite TV is unlawful but available. No cinemas.

Hash House harriers is there (or WAS !).

Driving around is possible but where would you go ?

Sounds to me as if you might not like it in Saudi Arabia. On the other hand.................people are adaptable !
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: How boring is Riyad? Reply with quote

JalanJalan wrote:
I wouldn't mind an alternative to staring at the 4 walls of my apartment.

Never lived in KSA, but I have lived in three other ME countries. My feeling is that you have to be very self-directed and strongly interested in a variety of pursuits if you're going to make it to your EOC.

Being bored and being lonely are two different animals. As for the first, online courses may help; so might internet-based diversions such as BBS, chat rooms, and such. Physical activiity such as running and weight training can help keep you occupied. You mention driving; you might make a point to learn about the archaeology and history of the area where you'll be (careful, though; many scholarly books may be disallowed) so your travels will be more meaningful. BTW, "other countries" are a long way from Riyadh by car.

Clubs and other social activities are certainly possible, but my observation is that you can't be the type who *needs* lots of compatible people around, or you'll suffer. You describe yourself as a "people person"; only you know what that means, but I think a high degree of emotional self-sufficiency is a prerequisite for the ME.

Having a family makes a huge difference. I spent a year and a half single in the ME, and it drove me to marriage. Very Happy After that, living there was much easier. When you go to the ME alone, you can look forward to doing this and doing that, but you are still going to have long stretches of solitude.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itotally agree with the above poster.

If you "need" to be around compatible people at all times, and cannot - or will not - puruse your own interests independently, KSA is not the ideal destination these days. On the other hand, if you don't need constant company and enjoy "solitary" pursuits such as reading, studying, internet-ing, then KSA can be quite OK!

Nothing will fall into your lap in KSA, particularly Riyadh these days. If you want a social life, you will have to go out and get it. There is nothing whatsoever by way of organized entertainment, there were a fair few ex-pat clubs and the like, but most of them have fallen by the wayside due to lack of numbers.
Arab Strap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How boring is Riyadh?..................very

How safe is Riyadh now?.................not very

How much does money mean to me?.............supply your own answer

You even have to drive way out of the city for a shisha..........
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you read the newspapers before deciding whether you want to go to Riyadh.
You really would have to have rocks in your head to want to go there now.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not in Riyadh but have visited that strange city.

It is not like Beirut at the height of the Civil War. The main danger still comes from driving, but car acccidents do not get headlines, whereas Islamist massacres do.

I have not left Saudi Arabia and I have no immediate plans to do so. For me it is partly harsh economics. At my age I am unlikely to get another job in TESOL that pays what I consider to be a living wage.

You can say what you like about Saudi but at least ageism is not one of the problems we face here/
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47

Well you are in the Eastern Province like myself where there have been no dramatic incidents thus far.
However, be that as it may do not think that something will not happen here.
Further given current developments would it not be prudent to forgo Riyadh for the time being until the situation becomes clearer?
Nomad Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Boozer's Paradise Reply with quote

Hello. I am almost certain that the Hash still goes on in Riyadh. More low-key but there are hashes. I have been out of the Kingdom for 2 years now. So all of what I have to say is dated I guess....I was in the Eastern Province like Scot and others, and I had lots of fun.
I am easily amused.
I was also a very active alcoholic while there, and I had lots of company. Having said that, for me it was strong Sid and South African or Phillipinna nurses and pool parties with BA buddies. That life is probably still there, but lower key.
I no longer drink alcohol...and I wonder what it would be like there now? I think I may never know...
I have visited Riyadh, but never had enough insight into that social web to know if that surreal lifestyle of booze and strangeness could be found there. I doubt it. Not that anyone would want it....
It was interesting though.
No matter what, make life interesting.
Nomad Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: