Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan is super-competitive right now.' A. Recruiter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Taiwan is super-competitive right now.' A. Recruiter Reply with quote

A well-known recruiter, who deals with Taiwan, China, S. Korea, and others, told me:

'Taiwan is super-competitive right now. Getting a job here is not easy. If you have some experience, with the other qualifications you mentioned, you would be a great candidate for working in China. At least one year is required but two years is better.

There are not currently have any openings in Japan, very few in Taiwan, and the most are in China. I really discourage people from applying to Taiwan at this time.'

So, are they correct? I have a BA, a Celta, and a years' worth of tecahing experience. Should I be wary of Taiwan? Maybe it's the time of year? If I came in August/September, would things be easier for me?

Taiwan appeals to me more than China and Japan, but I'd hate to turn up there and not get a job! But, I do hear that it's possible to earn pretty good money in China now, and jobs are plentiful -- is that correct?
forefit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing, recruiters are full BS and lies and I really really don't have a great deal of respect for them. All these guys are interested in is getting you placed somewhere so they can get there $$$ and they will lie and give you a load of BS so you take the place. I have experienced this many times and have a very low opinion of them.

Now this recruiter says there are no jobs in Japan?? Seriously?!? After the big earthquake and the damaged nuclear power plant a lot of esl teacher got the hell out of there and there are currently a lot of job there ATM. So I don't understand that.

There are jobs here, just because the recruiter doesn't have many doesn't really represent the whole of Taiwan and with your experience you will certainly be able to get a job with one of the big chains like Shane, Kojen and Hess (I would be very cautious with Hess hear mixed things about them) The main times to come for work is January/ Feb and Aug/ Sept. If you turned you can easily find some part time to keep you going.

My advice: ignore the recruiter, come here and it will work out especially with your experience.
Murat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to teach children in a cram school? If so, you'll have no problem here, at all.

@Forefit -- where are you seeing the job listings for Japan. I would love to move there for a year...
forefit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I said about Japan was actually from word of mouth therefore I wouldn't say it is that reliable a source, however I do recall straight after the earthquake getting e-mail from a lot of recruiters desperate for people to fill these positions, but I don't believe its that hard to get a teaching job there.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwan is super-competitive right now.' A. Recruiter Reply with quote

daniel_hayes wrote:

But, I do hear that it's possible to earn pretty good money in China now, and jobs are plentiful -- is that correct?

This question would be better asked on the China Forum
How should we know? We aren't working there.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will struggle to get to Taiwan for January 19th (Chinese New Year), and September might be a little too far away.

So, what are my chances of finding work in April/May/June? As stated, I have a BA and Celta.

All in all, what is the state of the EFL market in Taiwan?
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers in general don't care in the least for CELTA or any other TEFL certificate. They only care that you have a BA, as that is the government requirement for a work permit. They also don't care if you have previous teaching experience, unless that experience is in-Taiwan, where it might land you a job a little easier, but most likely won't get you an increase in pay.

That said, if you are persistent, you will find a job, and although after CNY and summer are the best times, there are opportunities throughout the year. Just understand that there are lots of applicants just like you, so you have to be ready to take what you can get at the beginning.

Good luck!
forefit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just after CNY the market is hard, as said there is always work going throughout the year. Be prepared to do some part-time or subbing work to keep you going until you find something permanent. If you look on forumosa (expat website) you find some subbing work going there.

Also to add a lot of jobs which are "full time" offer 15-20 hours a week which offer a lot of free and not a lot of $$$, if want to make a decent $$$ you need a second job which normally means teaching kindy in the morning. I teach 28 hours make a nice wage and still have a lot of free time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: