Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviewing with Interac
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Interviewing with Interac Reply with quote

What should I expect when I interview with Interac? Any tips you guys want to share?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seklarwia



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 1546
Location: Monkey onsen, Nagano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes: run a forum search or two.

That has been discussed to death on this forum by many people (myself included). And before you argue about wanting up to date threads; I know there were threads discussing this in the summer for people interviewing for the last intake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seklarwia wrote:
Yes: run a forum search or two.

That has been discussed to death on this forum by many people (myself included). And before you argue about wanting up to date threads; I know there were threads discussing this in the summer for people interviewing for the last intake.


Sa sa sa sowwry massa. Lowdy lowdy I'll neva roam agan'!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

I searched through old posts and didn't find too much about the actual interview. I did find something about the interview from 2010, but that seems like quite a long time ago.

Does anyone have something to offer about a more recent interview?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nightsintodreams



Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 349

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Interac newbies for this year came in March. So they would have done the interview in 2010. A few people join in August, theyre the only people who will have experience of an interview in 2011, and even some of those people may have still been interviewed in 2010.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I have been reading all over on the net and somewhat on this site. Read about some good info. If any one else has anything at all to say I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nightsintodreams



Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 349

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interview is made up of four sections:

grammar test
You can leave the test site to do this test Wink

myers briggs personality test
read up about this online

lesson
Most important thing is to be confident and show that you have lots of energy. I would advise you to sing!

interview
Again, the most important thing is to show you have lots of energy, confidence and would be easy to work with.

Other tips:
Give a preference location but make it known you are prepared to go ANYWHERE if you have to.
Don't make it seem like the only reason you want to go to Japan is to learn Japanese.
Don't go on about how you are a big shounen jump fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
The interview is made up of four sections:

grammar test
You can leave the test site to do this test Wink

myers briggs personality test
read up about this online

lesson
Most important thing is to be confident and show that you have lots of energy. I would advise you to sing!

interview
Again, the most important thing is to show you have lots of energy, confidence and would be easy to work with.

Other tips:
Give a preference location but make it known you are prepared to go ANYWHERE if you have to.
Don't make it seem like the only reason you want to go to Japan is to learn Japanese.
Don't go on about how you are a big shounen jump fan.


That sounds great, thank you so much. Yes, I have been trying to find more information on the grammar test. They let you go offsite? haha. That is funny. Any tips on the test, say, if they don't allow to leave the site?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seklarwia



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 1546
Location: Monkey onsen, Nagano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had things like commonly misspelled words and passive tense. It took me all of 5 mins. Shouldn't be all that difficult to flunk if you have a decent grasp of basic grammar and can spot common spelling mistakes (stuff like missing double letters in words like 'embarrassed' or spelling 'probably' with an 'e' or 'er' due to the similar sound). As it happened, I'd been looking at a list of commonly misspelled words on the back page of a reporter's jotter that I'd picked up for a quid from a stationer's on the way... most of the words in the test had appeared on that so they were fresh in my mind as I sat in the hotel lobby doing the test whilst waiting for my personal interview slot.

I didn't sing, but brought some colour splodges (and some masking tape... that earnt me some brownie points) to stick to the flip pad that was in the room (don't come in with magnetic aids assuming there will be a board to stick them on - the interviewer was impressed that I'd chosen an easy to remove tape just in case I was forced to stick them on the wall) to demonstrate a quick and silly flyswat team game. I'd chosen to teach colours to my imaginary ES class. I even demonstrated a response when neither of the two invisible kids currently at the board slapped the right colour.

Don't forget to use lots of understandable gestures (especially if you have an ES task), really simple instructions accompanied with visual demonstrations and lots of praise (or positive reinforcement when a wrong answer is given)... probably praise and enthusiam are the most important things to remember in any demo for a potential employer in Japan.

BTW, we also had to do a short greeting/self intro (using Japanese if we were able to) and read from a short script during the taped part of the personal interview.

And to add to nightsintodreams' other tips: know at least a little about Japanese culture and etiquette. We were asked about faux pas behaviour that westerners might not realise amongst other culture related questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Nice! Reply with quote

seklarwia wrote:
We had things like commonly misspelled words and passive tense. It took me all of 5 mins. Shouldn't be all that difficult to flunk if you have a decent grasp of basic grammar and can spot common spelling mistakes (stuff like missing double letters in words like 'embarrassed' or spelling 'probably' with an 'e' or 'er' due to the similar sound). As it happened, I'd been looking at a list of commonly misspelled words on the back page of a reporter's jotter that I'd picked up for a quid from a stationer's on the way... most of the words in the test had appeared on that so they were fresh in my mind as I sat in the hotel lobby doing the test whilst waiting for my personal interview slot.

I didn't sing, but brought some colour splodges (and some masking tape... that earnt me some brownie points) to stick to the flip pad that was in the room (don't come in with magnetic aids assuming there will be a board to stick them on - the interviewer was impressed that I'd chosen an easy to remove tape just in case I was forced to stick them on the wall) to demonstrate a quick and silly flyswat team game. I'd chosen to teach colours to my imaginary ES class. I even demonstrated a response when neither of the two invisible kids currently at the board slapped the right colour.

Don't forget to use lots of understandable gestures (especially if you have an ES task), really simple instructions accompanied with visual demonstrations and lots of praise (or positive reinforcement when a wrong answer is given)... probably praise and enthusiam are the most important things to remember in any demo for a potential employer in Japan.

BTW, we also had to do a short greeting/self intro (using Japanese if we were able to) and read from a short script during the taped part of the personal interview.

And to add to nightsintodreams' other tips: know at least a little about Japanese culture and etiquette. We were asked about faux pas behaviour that westerners might not realise amongst other culture related questions.


Thanks for that. I think in your first sentence you meant pass and not "flunk" correct? Wink Anyway, Thanks for the tips. I will use em.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seklarwia



Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 1546
Location: Monkey onsen, Nagano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice! Reply with quote

brokenarm22 wrote:
I think in your first sentence you meant pass and not "flunk" correct? Wink

Don't you mean first line or 3rd sentence? Wink Almost. Actually that was initially supposed to be two sentences but I was... a little distracted... just got the new GOW3 DLC (my innate multitasking skills fail me yet again Embarassed ). Let's try again:

Shouldn't be all that difficult to do. You shouldn't flunk if... you get the picture.

I delibrately avoided using the positive 'pass' because you won't find out exactly how well you did. But I think it's safe to assume that if you did flunk, they wouldn't hire you Very Happy

Anyway I'm off now. I've woken up late this morning to lots of irrate phonecalls from the UK... better get in a couple of games with my kid sisters before they are sent to bed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokenarm22



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitarou



Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 1027
Location: Narita, Japan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
The interview is made up of four sections:

...

myers briggs personality test
read up about this online

...


Myers Brigg! Shocked That's just depressing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
surendra



Joined: 09 Feb 2012
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,
I am currently accepted and (still) awaiting placement with Interac. I took the interview in April in D.C. The interview is not hard at all, but I think that depends on the recruiter. I believe it was before we took the grammar/language test that the recruiter said that we all 99% passed which put at least me at ease. Now this could mean that they had a big need for ALTs now or we were just a small group (15 or so) but hopefully others get a good recruiter like her.

Just a fyi.

-Mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stumptowny



Joined: 29 May 2011
Posts: 238

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grammar test..

know passive voice vs. active. they have a section about this.. 5 sentences and you mark passive or active..

another section is spell checking. asks to find any mistakes and respell: the words I can remember in this section are:

liaise, tomato, personnel, accommodation, tomorrow... don't remember the others.

another section is "what is not acceptable in standard english" or something and you choose the mistake in the sentence out of two or three underlined choices..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC