Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviewing with Interac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
The interview is made up of four sections:
grammar test
You can leave the test site to do this test Wink

Do they tell you which grammar it will be marked on? NZ? Australian? Mid west American? Standard American? English RP?

Quote:

myers briggs personality test
read up about this online

Very simple: MB typing has no statistical validity and any hiring decision made based on it can be contested as unlawful in a court. Assuming you're interviewed in a Common law country.

Quote:

lesson
Most important thing is to be confident and show that you have lots of energy. I would advise you to sing!

AKA 'Do the Dancing Monkey" routine.

Quote:

interview
Again, the most important thing is to show you have lots of energy, confidence and would be easy to work with.

Well, one out of four sounding reasonable is a start, I guess. Rolling Eyes
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Myers Brigg! Shocked That's just depressing.

I've found that American companies love it. They don't seem to have caught on to the fact that the rest of the world knows it's a joke.
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Myers Brigg! Shocked That's just depressing.

I've found that American companies love it. They don't seem to have caught on to the fact that the rest of the world knows it's a joke.

I'm American and the only time I was asked to complete the test was at my Interac interview. This was after I had been offered the job. I was able to mark my test and my result was that I could have been any of the 4 personalities.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflames wrote:
G Cthulhu wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Myers Brigg! :shock: That's just depressing.

I'm American and the only time I was asked to complete the test was at my Interac interview. This was after I had been offered the job. I was able to mark my test and my result was that I could have been any of the 4 personalities.

Interesting. I get dragged in to dozens of companies a year to explain what they're doing wrong in their HR departments training and recruiting areas and I run into it all the time. And there are 16 types, not 4. Sorry.
Inflames

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize when I (5 jobs [not even counting interviews] in the US including one where I worked with equipment that started at $10 mln) have only taken that test in Japan. I'm sure if I asked others responses would be similar. Many retail companies (I'm sure others as well) have introduced some moral test (regarding workplace conduct in some hypothetical situations) for applicants.

After looking it up there are 16 personalities and 4 pairs - I only took it once years ago.

The problem is that you're talking to HR - most people in the US either are working in some low-level job (where they'll take a moral test) or avoid the HR department (because HR is usually clueless).
kah5217

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Myers Brigg a big part of Interac's decision? I have a BA in psychology and we picked that test to pieces in a few of my classes.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my recruiter about the MB and she basically said it wasn't a make or break/right or wrong, so much as to see where you'd best be suited. Someone that scores an I instead of E might be better suited away from elementary kids, etc. etc.

To answer G Thuthu's question about grammar: It's not marked which grammar they want but the sentences in question were fairly universal. No "at/on the weekend" type of things, for example. The spelling section had one word in particular that was misspelled, and it had two correct answers (either adj. or noun, depending on the spelling).
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're really particular about what you can do for a demo lesson, but they encourage "creativity." How does that work, exactly? Anyone done a successful demo lesson for Interac?
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haruka: Of the 9 of us, 4 picked giving directions and 4 picked a dialog, and I picked Irregular verbs. I personally had no time for creativity with this lesson so I went with the one that didn't need props. XD
The directions guys brought a poster board map, some location stickers, they wrote down "useful vocab", and the rest of us had to pretend to be their students, which meant that we could throw curveballs at them to see how they'd react.
The ones with the dialog similarly brought poster board props, there was color coding with the phrases to be replaced, suggested words to use, I know two of the candidates brought the actual items and handed them to pairs of us to make a dialog out of...

The warmups are where you can really show the company your stuff. I did the Hokey Pokey, one guy did "the ants go marching" and made us all march, there were color flash cards, one girl did the Vowel Song which was hysterical...

But above all maintain your Genki and be open to criticism after the video stops recording.
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you. I was thinking in the right direction, then. Of the 9 of you, how many were hired, do you know?
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of us was to know until about a month after the interview, which for us was Sept. 29 iirc. I personally won't know until February because I still need to graduate. X(
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

I'm going to the recruitment session on Saturday.
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Interac have a preference for resume style other than "two pages on A4"?
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave them a single sheet since most employers want to glance at it as quickly as possible and move on to the next. Going through 1000 applicants just from the States alone is daunting, so keep your resume short and sweet unless they specifically say it needs to be 2 pages. I don't recall it saying that anywhere, though.
kah5217

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the "Visa Requirements" page of their website. If I include my primary school information like they want it pushes it to the end of a page anyway, so I'll need that second one to list my experience in Japan and my objectives and all that fluff they say not to put on a resume. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: