Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviewing with Interac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was e-mail and should have been instant. Check your spam folder. It might say Recruit1.
kah5217

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I'll send them an email just to double check.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here have any experience applying with Interac from within Japan? I'm looking into this too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
Does anyone here have any experience applying with Interac from within Japan? I'm looking into this too.

I have done twice. The first time was after my first year here, and a friend who worked for the Yokohama office recommended me. They more or less offered me a job pre-interview, but I ended up staying at the school I was at. I didn't interview.

The second time was at the end of my second year. I went to the office in Tokyo, took the tests and gave my demo lesson. The person I was supposed to have the interview with wasn't available, so two of his colleagues interviewed me. I thought it went well, but I didn't hear back. I eventually got a reply a month or two later, apologising for the lateness and asking me if I was still looking for work, but by that time I'd found something better.
kah5217

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my phone interview today. Smile Now it's on to DC in a month.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kah5217 wrote:
I passed my phone interview today. Smile Now it's on to DC in a month.

Ok, I did mine from DC too. It's not so hard, though the hotel might be kinda hard to find. One guy from NC couldn't find it at all....

But yeah, get a prop, like a picture book or some crap, and be all smiley and lame, and you'll pass no problem.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a Dr. Seuss book work? Very Happy
kah5217

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on a stuffed animal for the warm up. Has to be good enough, since the demo video used printed pictures.
Argofoto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rather dark circles under my eyes... nothing too bad but darker than average (I am supposing there is a general average...), kinda runs in the family, never thought of wearing makeup but should I cover it up for sake of the interview?
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would. (and did) I have semi translucent skin and above average dark circles half the time. A little concealer will go a loooooong way in making you look like you sleep regular hours.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dark circles under my eyes too. Had them since I was a kid. Was told that usually some suffer from the rings because of allergies...and I do have them. I guess I'm at an advantage, though. I have dark skin anyway, so the circles aren't too noticeable, especially since I wear glasses with the transition lenses. Not very noticeable, I guess.

That aside, I have an interview with Interact on November 23. I'm a little nervous about it, though. I have to do a video of my mock lesson and send it to them. This will be my first time ever doing a demonstration lesson for a job of this nature. Before, I was only asked what I would do in certain situations, how I would teach certain things, or either write what I would do, etc.

I hope I do okay. I really need this job, especially since this current one ends at the end of March and I'll have to move out. I know it's wrong, but I'm going to miss this apartment more than the job itself. lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssjup81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping, but just wondering if anyone here has any advice.
Haruka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to reply to this one until I knew how my interview had gone. Interac offered me a position and even though I couldn't take it (I had already accepted an Aeon offer), I can tell you what I did:

1. Preferences for placement: You don't have any. The more open you are, the more likely they'll want you.

2. Preferences for age groups: You don't have any. Again, the more open you are...

2. Mingle with everyone prior to the start of the session. Recruiters pay attention to this!

3. Ask questions during the session. Prove you are paying attention.

4. You demo lesson:

a.) warm-up - Do something creative and original. I did a game called "Guess That Verb." I acted out a verb and the "kids" had to guess what it was. Give LOTS of praise and use names!!! Very important.

b.) lesson - whichever of the lesson formats you choose, do not copy it verbatim. Use it as an outline. Be creative and use props and visuals. Some of the standouts from my group were a gal who used the directions format in the form of a corn maze, and another who used the same format for trick-or-treating (find the house with the best candy). I used the shopping format and brought lots of props.

I hope this is helpful. If you want more info, feel free to message me.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I forget what your current job is. But if relevant/possible, why not film a few clips of a current lesson? A simple warm-up, drilling some grammar, eliciting answers from students, encouraging class participation. That sort of thing.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice suggestions, but I'm doing my interview online since I'm doing this from within Japan. Since I can't go to Tokyo, given my job, I have to do it online.

Oh, and Joel, as for my job, eikaiwa work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: