Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ireland postgrad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Ireland postgrad Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting a PGCE or a Higher Diploma in teaching. HAs anyone studied at an Ireland uni? Could you tell me how they compare to schools in the UK? Can you recommend any school?
Thanks
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a well-known teachers college in Ireland called Maynooth. Rhymes with 'toot'.

Thats all I know, soorry.

kh
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, any info helps!
ceola77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Hdip courses in Ireland Reply with quote

at the moment its extremely difficult to get into this course in Ireland as everyone is trying to get back into teaching after the slump in the IT sector etc. anyway, there are 5 colleges offering the hdip. 4 of these you apply through the CAO/CAS system: its like UCAS in the UK. the application forms are out every december for the following academic year. ie dec '04 applications are to start sept '05. the colleges thru this system are NUIGalway, NUIMaynooth, UCC (Cork) and UCD (Dublin). Trinity college also has the dip but you apply directly to the college around the same time as the others.
just to put it in perspective for you..... there are approx 800 places between the 5 colleges and over 3,000 people applied last year. most who don't get it head over to the UK- a friend of mine is going to liverpool to do the UK one this sept. i guess i was lucky, i did it 2 years ago and am glad i accepted the place. it was difficult to get a job after the dip- they're mostly in dublin and kildare, but luckily i got one and am happy out. now i need to find a nice TEFL job outside of ireland for my 3 months summer holidays, so if you have any suggestions please feel free to send them my way!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more research and was told that if I wanted to study Primary Ed, I would have to do a BA, as a PGCE is for secondary ed, Sad Guess that eliminates Ireland.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear naturegirl,
So, do you want to do a H Dip for secondary school teaching in Ireland or Primary teaching or is it something related to TEFL? A H Dip is usually required for secondary teaching ni Ireland. I have a BA, and to do a H Dip to work in state schools, I'd have to do another 18 glorious months at university...
Feel free to throw more questions here.. Wink might be able to help...
Ibasiram.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibasiram wrote:
Dear naturegirl,
So, do you want to do a H Dip for secondary school teaching in Ireland or Primary teaching or is it something related to TEFL? A H Dip is usually required for secondary teaching ni Ireland. I have a BA, and to do a H Dip to work in state schools, I'd have to do another 18 glorious months at university...
Feel free to throw more questions here.. Wink might be able to help...
Ibasiram.

I want to do a Higher Dip for Primary Ed. I was told that it doesn't exist and that I would have to do a BA.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
Well, in Ireland, a B. Ed is normally required for a primary teaching job. A B Ed. (Bachelor of Education) is a 3 year university course, and that is the basic requirement for primary teaching jobs..
A requirement for the B. Ed, however, is a good working knowledge of the Irish language, and if you don't have that then you first have to do a BA, (3 or 4 years) and then some other 18 month course after that, and then you're there..
you can send me a PM, and I can tell you the names of some universities..
Ibasiram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: