Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I find a job in Singapore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl2011

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Can I find a job in Singapore? Reply with quote

Hi there.

I am hoping to find a job in Singapore and am hoping to get some advice. I am wondering whether my current credentials would be good enough to find employment in Singapore. They are as follows:

- TEFL Certificate (just online and only 50 hours)
- BA English Literature / American Literature and Italian studies (4 year course, 2:1 attained)
- Experience (6 months South Korea with young learners, 1 year business English and translation in Italy, various private tutoring experience).

That's me. Having working in Korea I discovered a vast amount of discontent amongst ESL teachers. A vast amount of employers were shady and many foreign teachers would find themselves doing "midnight runs" in order to get away from the nightmare. Whilst they pay very well, it does not of course give anybody the right to treat you like a piece of meat. I have been searching for Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Taiwan, Japan and Malaysia and here is what I have discovered.

- Singapore and Malaysia: Most schools will not even give me a second look and refuse to even acknowledge my applications.

- Japan: The potential of getting a job is there, however the start up costs are vast (I don't have a massive amount of cash these days).

- Taiwan: Mainly chain schools that I haven't read the best reviews about. Again it would probably involve going out there and searching in person. Definitely possible.

- Hong Kong: Again, a little similar to Singapore, however the possibility of finding a job in advance of actually arriving is there.

I was hoping to get a little bit of insight. If I was to just arrive in Singapore, would I be able to find employment?

Thank you.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you will need to be patient. This can be an expensive process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: