Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Advice - jobs for qualified but mujer viejo y gordo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimeny

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Your Advice - jobs for qualified but mujer viejo y gordo? Reply with quote

Your Advice please:

I�m 59, female, definitely �gordo�, qualified with ESL/English related MA, BEd, RSA CELTA, and overseas experience. Expect to be in Lima in late January. Preference to work as private tutor, as sub in international school, and/or as professora in colegia. I know about the crappy local teacher pay, low cost of living, and the lackadaisical attitudes regarding visas.

Given my age, gender, and �gordo� appearance, do you expect that I will encounter some or considerable difficulty securing employment in Lima?

And what about the expat scene for someone my age? I�m getting the impression that the expat teachers there, for the most part, are much younger than I am.

Thanks!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Your Advice - jobs for qualified but mujer viejo y gordo Reply with quote

intl schools. Hands down. THough it's kind of late, there still might be some last minute openings. Do you have experience teaching in schools?

Try expatperu.com and livinginperu.com as well.

Other than that, you'll be looking at split shifts and working on a tourist visa for about 10 bucks an hour.

Expat scene is ok, though most peopel your age will be men with women young enough to be their daughters.

Check out FDR, you could sign up to be a sub. BUT, in order to even get INTO that fortress you're going to have to know someone on the inside.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Your Advice - jobs for qualified but mujer viejo y gordo Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Expat scene is ok, though most peopel your age will be men with women young enough to be their daughters.

I've often read that true for China, didn't know it was also true for Peru!
jimeny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

Laughing lol those foolish old men with young girls are in every country -- a bit sad and sick really but it can be quite an "icky" thing to see especially in Thailand and Cambodia where the serious perverts hang out - yuk!

Enough of that though ...

I'd be happy just substituting in the int schools - not full time as I've done that before and am really not interested in doing that again. Tutoring also is appealing.

Thanks Naturegirl - So my age and "gordo" appearance may attract comments from the general populace, but will not deter the Peruvians from hiring me as a private tutor? And the international schools will just be happy to have some cheap but qualified labour? True?

So the downside is the crap pay and maybe the crime, but picking up some work in late Jan or early Feb should be doable. Would the international schools hire a sub teacher on a tourist visa?
jimeny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

Argh! sorry tried to delete a duplicate post but can't find the cancel option
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

I think it's true wherever there are "exotic" girls.

Tutoring CAN be good, if you find quality students that are close to each other, or don't mind coming to your house. It's not income that you can count on.

Your appearance shoudln't matte that much. Peru isn't Asia.

INtl schools don't want cheap labour. Intl schools wanted qualified teachers. I think you shoudl contact them, look at ibo.org

INtl schools aren't going to hire a sub on a tourist visa. If you can find a FT intl school job, they'll get you a visa
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

And where there's a big socio-economic difference between the local "girls" and the expat men.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

And where there's a big socio-economic difference between the local "girls" and the expat men.

Funny how people knock this stuff, really. So what should a girl do? Marry some guy from her own country/culture/town that can barely provide the basics of life, if even that?

This was explained to me when I first came to Latin America in that a local guy who has a basic education (or even a higher one, up to & including college) often has very limited or no opportunities to advance himself, let alone the desire. Now enter an American (or other guy from the 1st world) into the mix, and a woman (remember in Latin America where family and having kids are SO very important) and it is obvious, this guy has opportunity, the ability to be something, and if he has kids, they will be citizens of whatever country he is from and also have more opportunity.

In many cultures, the ideas of "love & romance" are not at all the same as in the USA. Perhaps it does have a lot to do with socio-economics, but really, plenty of women in the US & Canada marry more for much the same reasons and having a hubby that earns big bucks with a flashy title and a nice car. Perhaps not such an age difference, but the idea is the same.

BTW plenty of "plain Jane" Gringas that wouldn�t get asked out by dudes back home show up in Mexico & Latin America where they are fawned over by Latin men, so it goes both ways.

Last edited by Prof.Gringo on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Prof. Gringo, what I'm wondering is why a man from say, the US or the UK, would want to marry a much younger woman from a poor country knowing that she's more attracted to the money he has in the bank rather than his masculine charms?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

[quote="Prof.Gringo"]
Isla Guapa wrote:

BTW plenty of "plain Jane" Gringas that wouldn�t get asked out by dudes back home show up in Mexico & Latin America where they are fawned over by Latin men, so it goes both ways.

It's not exactly the same, unless these so-called "plain Janes" are fawned over because of their money.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Well, Prof. Gringo, what I'm wondering is why a man from say, the US or the UK, would want to marry a much younger woman from a poor country knowing that she's more attracted to the money he has in the bank rather than his masculine charms?

And how is that any different from a woman being attracted to a man cause of his money in the US or UK???

In other cultures, a higher price is placed on things besides just sex. In fact, traditional marriage was (or is) often for some economic, or other reason, not based on the notion of "love" or even better, like so many relationships are, sex.

These women are not being forced into marriage, no human trafficking is taking place. They make a choice, based on whatever motives they have, be they the desire for a better life and to escape crushing poverty, to find a faithful husband or cause they simply want to. I don�t think many marriages are based on purely idealistic dreams and many, many people stay married for very practical purposes.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

[quote="Isla Guapa"]
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

It's not exactly the same, unless these so-called "plain Janes" are fawned over because of their money.

But white skin & fair hair are good enough reasons???

BTW I have met more than a few American women that married Mexican men that were illegally in the US... (some of whom get caught & deported anyways), So what are those marriages based on???

I say live & let live. If they are consenting adults, it is none of my business and I don�t see the reason to pass judgement on those couples.
jimeny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread managed to get hijacked Rolling Eyes And while we're on the subject ...the local young boy toys in Egypt, Bali, Columbia, Costa Rica, Kenya, India and other places fawn over old white gals exactly for the money and the passport to be had. Blonde hair is irrelevant. It's the exact same reason local young gals fawn over old white guys. Plain Jane or Plain John it's the same twisted story. Old folks are easy pickins and easy to fool into believing the relationship is based on love, not money. But you've missed the point entirely Mr Prof - the comments were focused on the foolish old men, not the young girls.

And what about me me me in all this?? Will I find a job? Or maybe some young hot Peruvian lad to look after me? Hmmm ...Most likely I'll have to look after him although this presupposes that I arrive with loads of money. Maybe I'll make buckets of money once I'm there and.... oh, but I digress...

Any possibility we could get back on track with the job prospect situation. Very Happy Comments along those lines would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

See, here's the thing about the whole first-third world marriages. First, the girls are accustomed to that lifestyle. They know how to live on a lower salary. Second, i've seen it happen way too many times that the girl gets the visa, citizenship, then gets divorced.

Being in this type of relationship, except where I'm the first world citizenship, it takes its toll. It really does. And the novelty wears off. being seen as a passport to another country, exotic travel, or for money, well, no one wants that. Being expected to give more entertainment allowance just because he "sacrificed his career" to come live with me, is absolute poo-poo. Come on, I pay for everything! and he has more mnoney than I do to spend on whatever he wants, yet still complains.

FYI: I never wanted to get married. I had already been accepted to study in OZ LONG before I stepped foot in Peru.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Peru for the old and gordo? Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
But white skin & fair hair are good enough reasons???

BTW I have met more than a few American women that married Mexican men that were illegally in the US... (some of whom get caught & deported anyways), So what are those marriages based on???

I say live & let live. If they are consenting adults, it is none of my business and I don�t see the reason to pass judgement on those couples.

Well, darn, maybe I should dye my hair Smile NO one ever, ever thinks I'm American. Most in Peru thought I was Peruvian. I've even been asked by immigration officers for my "other" non American passport.

back to the OP . . .
A hot young Peruvian to look after you? The odds are against you, it's a third, or second world country.

Bucks of money, possibly. In the 90s you needed a couple just to buy milk Smile

You'll find a job. It might not pay heaps and you might not get a visa. BUt you'll find one. Try contacting Valerie at English Life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: