Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House Bydgoszcz job ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Here's the truth Reply with quote

No matter what we think of ourselves, we are perceived as unskilled labour throughout the world.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known loads of people who worked at IH Bydgoszcz over the last few years and most of them stay for at least 2 years. Plenty stay for longer. I know that currently on the staff they have a number of native speakers who have been there for ages. I also know that last summer they hardly did any hiring because of the number of returning teachers they had.

I don't think anybody sees it as a place to live for ever. I'm glad I worked there. I have a much better job making better money now, but I'm a better teacher for my time there. Also, it was great fun. I'd do it again given a time machine and the option to change.

But no, I'm wrong. The guy from 1996 knows best. It must be a rubbish place to work.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
I've known loads of people who worked at IH Bydgoszcz over the last few years and most of them stay for at least 2 years. Plenty stay for longer. I know that currently on the staff they have a number of native speakers who have been there for ages. I also know that last summer they hardly did any hiring because of the number of returning teachers they had.

I don't think anybody sees it as a place to live for ever. I'm glad I worked there. I have a much better job making better money now, but I'm a better teacher for my time there. Also, it was great fun. I'd do it again given a time machine and the option to change.

But no, I'm wrong. The guy from 1996 knows best. It must be a rubbish place to work.

Herein lies the problem with a lot of posters on here.

Let me ask you something: Why does NOBODY see it as a place to live forever? What is it about the place that makes it completely unliveable long term?
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Could be the crappy money!!

And why do some do a second year there? Usually a woman's involved or they've been daft enough to sign their life away for the DELTA.

Notknowhatyourtalkingabout read my post! I've been there since. I was in Poland 13 weeks ago, where I have a son who I see regularly. 1,850Zl...you could earn more begging and Greggie was there at IH last year!!

Did the experience you gained improve your reading skills? Clearly not.

Newbie for sure.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Where did you eat? Share a kurczak z piec smakow at Lotus once a week?
That's living.................not!
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see Bydgoszcz as a place to stay forever mainly because it's not the most lovely place in the world. But it is fine for a few years.

As for the newbie comments, that's just silly.

The arrogance of many on here is actually quite funny. I worked in Bydgoszcz for a number of years, I know plenty of others who did and quite a few who still do. The assertions of poverty are ridiculous and IH Bydgoszcz is a good school.

The hysterical rantings of some people on here could well put a new teacher off and make them miss out on a good experience in Bydgoszcz.

Best way to sum it up is that apart from me, pretty much everyone I know who moves on says they miss the school. They appreciate it after they leave. I was lucky that my experience allowed me to get a really good job after Bydgoszcz. I know plenty of former Bydgoszcz people who have moved on to other schools and been let down.

Anyone (especially new teachers) looking for a job that'll give them a good start in the business should consider IH Bydgoszcz. It's a good place to work.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The arrogance of many on here is actually quite funny

Yeah. A lot of people want everyone to believe that they knowwhatthey'retalkingabout when all that they're doing is documenting they're own experiences and perceptions.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 1875 ish (can't exactly remember) plus a free flat. Which is actually a pretty good deal.

If this poster who claims to have worked there last year really did, then he or she will know that the school is still made up mainly of returning teachers. This speaks volumes.

I'm certainly not new to the job. I wouldn't go back to IH Bydgoszcz as I see it as an entry level job which would now be a backward step. But it's a good place for anybody to begin their career. Loads of support, loads of materials etc and the money is fine.

All the drama queens on here make me laugh.
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
I didn't see Bydgoszcz as a place to stay forever mainly because it's not the most lovely place in the world.

I don't think that answers the question. Specifically, why is Bydgoszcz not "the most lovely place in the world"? What is wrong with it? Is it not suitable long term only because of the one aspect you mentioned?

Quote:
The hysterical rantings of some people on here could well put a new teacher off and make them miss out on a good experience in Bydgoszcz.

So again, I'm asking why someone would have a good experience there if it's "not the most lovely place in the world." Why would somebody choose Bydgoszcz if you have just told us that the place is.....well....I'll let you say it in your own words.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that many on here really disagrees about the fundamentals of life in EFL Poland, some just choose to focus on the good or bad parts more. As far as the Bydgoszcz/IH question: Yeah 1800 zl a month or whatever is not a good salary, but for a 20 something year old guy it would do. You could probably offer him a box to live in and a bottle of vodka for pay and he would be happy just for the chicks and booze (as is often pointed out). In the long run though, it sucks of course.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Give him enough rope.........

1,850Zl is an insult. I was making 6k in Poznan in 98 with free accommodation.

They give a cruddy work shop every Wednesday and you call that development? They have a few bookshelves and that's a library? Plenty of schools have that; it's not a USP! It's a great place to go for a newb to get rooked that's for sure. They could go to Lodz and start on 140Zl per day with free accommodation as was advertised recently on a rival website.

MOST STAY BECAUSE OF PARTNERS THEY'VE FOUND.

And btw...I'm not hysterical or arrogant, just truthful. You say yourself Bydgoszcz ain't a place to stay; it's a fact it ain't on the tourist trail; the money is cruddy; it's a fact they bamboozle you with the pay through Glenrex and there are much better entry deals around.

End of.
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

And btw...I'm not hysterical or arrogant, just truthful.

And that is something this forum has trouble accepting.

I don't think sharter only concentrates on the bad, he repeats himself all the time on this forum that he likes Poland, it's just that people get all defensive when the criticisms start.

I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because some people on here didn't have much to begin with and don't see the contrast. Maybe it's because people simply have lower standards. Maybe it's because people simply don't want more, at least not now. What I do know is that the honeymoon stage and/or being stuck there without other prospects affects the posts on here. I was guilty of the honeymoon stage myself when I first went to Poland. After about a year though, man, did my opinions start changing about the place and by the 2nd year, I was already planning a life elsewhere.

As far as not having any other prospects, those are the most frustrating posters to deal with. Sure, it's good to be optimistic, gotta play the cards you're dealt, but don't go on here trying to tell people who know better that Poland is all rainbows and unicorns when it's obviously not. For someone coming from a developed country, Poland is one of the last countries in Europe that would be on their list to live in, plain and simple, and there are reasons for that.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I totally agree with that.

It's an aside, but I've lost count of the number of Polish girls I know who have married foreigners and got out.

The scenery, the history, the home cooking and of course, the girls....all great. None of these put food on your kid's table or pay for his dentist, playstation, school trips or clothes. It's always a bad idea to generalise about people but Poles are not the the most fun nation I've ever met either...very dour, ignorant and unconcerned about everything except the price of rolls in Carrefour....and then there's the fake pseudo-intellect you encounter everywhere, who usually doesn't get past Bregovic.

All of Europe is crap moneywise. Anything more than subsistence seems to be rare. But 400 quid a month...actually it's less at the current Zloty rate....well this 1,850Zl is truly atrocious in modern Europe. Poland isn't some quaint little place full of people who turn hay on long forks and go folk dancing on Fridays; it's a modern European country with European prices.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
It's always a bad idea to generalise about people but Poles are not the the most fun nation I've ever met either...very dour, ignorant and unconcerned about everything except the price of rolls in Carrefour....and then there's the fake pseudo-intellect you encounter everywhere, who usually doesn't get past Bregovic.

You're just hanging out in the wrong circles. I organised a party last night, and it was anything but dour - but a careful guest list and good organisers helped.

Quote:
All of Europe is crap moneywise. Anything more than subsistence seems to be rare.

For who? You can make perfectly good cash in much of Germany, Austria, Switzerland - and to a lesser extent, Northern Italy and Madrid. France too, in the right places.

Even in Poland, it doesn't take a genius to take home at least 2,000 euro a month - which, combined with a partner who works (as is normal in much of the world for everyone) in a good job - sitting on at least 3,500 euro a month is quite possible.

Quote:
But 400 quid a month...actually it's less at the current Zloty rate....well this 1,850Zl is truly atrocious in modern Europe. Poland isn't some quaint little place full of people who turn hay on long forks and go folk dancing on Fridays; it's a modern European country with European prices.

It's an entry-level job. Perfect for someone in his/her early 20's who wants a start, or who needs a year of teaching under his belt, or someone who just wants to live abroad.

As for why Polish women are going for foreign guys - what's new there in Europe? Haven't you seen the masses of British women who fall in love with "ahmed" from Egypt who loves her so much?
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

You're just hanging out in the wrong circles. I organised a party last night, and it was anything but dour - but a careful guest list and good organisers helped.

haha, i mean....this is exactly what I mean. What in the world does this have to do with anything. A guy organizes a party with a "careful guest list and good organizers" and that somehow........uuchh.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: