Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House Bydgoszcz job ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
[400 Euro] is an entry-level job. Perfect for someone in his/her early 20's who wants a start, or who needs a year of teaching under his belt, or someone who just wants to live abroad.

Normally I'm on the other side of this perpetual argument. But this time the figure is just too low, even for an entry level job. 1875 zloty/mo is not 'perfect' for anybody considering so many schools pay much better.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: How many Euros? Reply with quote

Now your average couple's on 3,500 Euros a month, the moon's made of cheese and I'm the king o Spain.

You must work for the propaganda ministry.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: and... Reply with quote

So why are there so many ex Polish teflers here in the Middle East?........most have more than 10 years experience.

Tosh.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when these threads spiral out of control, the hypocracy is sometimes quite wonderful e.g:
sharter:
Quote:
read my post!

DD:
Quote:
Even in Poland, it doesn't take a genius to take home at least 2,000 euro a month - which, combined with a partner who works (as is normal in much of the world for everyone) in a good job - sitting on at least 3,500 euro a month is quite possible.

sharter:
Quote:
Now your average couple's on 3,500 Euros a month.

The facts can be summed up thusly:
IH may or mat not be a good place to start teaching
i - the money is crap (which it really is, newbie or not)
ii - teacher development may or may not be good (I never had any teacher development in my first 3 years of teaching so I can see how it could be perceived as a good thing even if the level of it is poor).
iii - IH operate a massive tax fiddle, allegedly.

People who see Poland in an acceptable light:
Me
Mastershake
DD
Richfilth

People who will always see Poland in a bad way:
Sharter
Dynow

Will there ever find a balance between these people - unlikely.
Will first timers to this board be affected by the endless rantings - most likely
Will we see many more threads about the same stuff - undoubtedly
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I see EFL Poland in a bad light, not so much Poland.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of those who see Poland in a favorable light.
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we're keeping count....I think "Team B" can safely claim Jack Walker.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
Well, if we're keeping count....I think "Team B" can safely claim Jack Walker.

'
Yes Mr.Dynow! I'm proud to be on the "B" team Cool

Love Poland but became very disillusioned with the ESL game there over time.

First time on the forums in a couple of weeks with the holiday season keeping me busy.

Hope to drop by more regularly with rants and complaints again throughout the winter Very Happy

Hopefully we can liven this place up again in 2012.It's pretty dead in here unfortunately.The glory days will rise up I hope.Smile

Cheers and Happy New Year to all Polish ESLers.........you're a brave bunch!
Jack
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I see EFL Poland in a bad light, not so much Poland.

Oh really? When was the last time you said anything positive about Poland when it counts - early in a thread in response to a noob's question?

Sure, you'll claim to like Polish students and Polish women, yadda, yadda, yadda. But only eventually (after the light siders rake you over the coals enough). By this time the noob's probably already stopped following the thread and you're just preaching to the choir.

When a noob asks a general "What's teaching in Poland like?" Mr. sharter almost always sharts all over it.
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterShake wrote:

Quote:
When a noob asks a general "What's teaching in Poland like?" Mr. sharter almost always sharts all over it.

and just the same, plenty from Team A go ahead to tell the noob that you can comfortably live on 650zl a month if your flat is paid for and that pizza is supposed to have ketchup on it.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
MasterShake wrote:

Quote:

and just the same, plenty from Team A go ahead to tell the noob that you can comfortably live on 650zl a month if your flat is paid for and that pizza is supposed to have ketchup on it.

Maybe you lived on 650zl and ate pizza with ketchup on it, but I certainly don't. Neither do most people on this forum.

I think the real point here is that you wanted more and you were unable in Poland to get it. Some of us did get it and have it.

As they say - you make your own opportunity. One thing is clear - those in Poland that rely on language schools will always be worse off than those who create something for themselves.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team B chiming in:

It seems that newbie interest in Poland has waned considerably in recent years.There doesn't seem to be as much interest as there was some years ago.

I think it's safe to say that Poland is a great place to work if you have minimal life responsibilities and are not too concerned with advancing yourself professionally.The ceiling is quite low there for foreign ESL teachers,especially for non EU citizen teachers.

The access to attractive women and cheap beer gets old fast.

The depressing atmosphere and people in Poland also weighs one down.

An amazing country historically and culturally to say the least. Definitlely not a place for people with big plans in life or even average plans.

It's a place to bide time while trying to get your act together.It was for me anyway.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delpian-domine wrote:

Quote:
I think the real point here is that you wanted more and you were unable in Poland to get it. Some of us did get it and have it.

oh......that's cute!

I'll tell ya.....it truly broke my heart to leave.....for surely my wife and I's brand spankin' new cars, steady jobs, 120 sq. meter apartment soon to be a house twice the size, private parking spots, warm weather 10 months out of the year, our currency that actually is worth something in a country where everything is cheap, our amazing restaurants just a short drive away, a huge international airport, huge wide open highways to drive on, surrounded by people that walk the streets that don't look like their dog just died, our in-ground pool on premises to take dips in when the summer gets hot.......yeah, I obviously got the $hit end of the stick, Delph.

if you had THAT at your easy disposal, you'd high tail outta there too but let's face it tough guy, you're from Scotland and you don't live there now for a reason. you're in Poland not because you can make it anywhere and you're ooooooh so savvy in business, it's because you met a Polish girl in Scotland and she held your hand into Poland, gave you free rent for 2+ years and powdered your a$$ giving you a nice easy transition to Polish life.

Let me know when you move to a foreign country without a sponsor and have to pay rent.....make it somewhere cold and post communist, then get back to "Team B".
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: for me Reply with quote

For me I just liked the Poland that was. I think Mastershake only qualified in when? 2006 and Delph has been in Poz since what? 2008. They've only seen the relatively recent stuff. I was there a decade before and remember when 6 or 7 thousand Zloty was a king's ransom.....and yeah I had to work for it but my second job was easy as it was in publishing and recording and it was very regular. I lived like a king really. Being much younger the beer and dating thing was superb. However it's different now. The best pubs in Poznan are long gone. The women are pretty but often pretty dull once the honeymoon period is over. I really believe that you don't get what you pay for there. Life is a struggle when kids come along.

I'm not in any team. There are things I like and things I don't but I'm not gonna let some newb go to Bydgoszcz believing he can live on 1,800Zl and that's what this thread is about.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: I'd also add Reply with quote

I'd also add that I'm planning on spending the rest of my life in Poznan once I've done the hard Middle East time (again) and paid cash for the house, car and furniture.

I blew the first 10 years of Middle East cash on fast living Wink....so I think I can say I've seen the very best Poland has to offer. TEFL teachers there live nowhere near that mark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: