Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House Bydgoszcz job ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're 18, you have two choices. Get a job and have money in your pocket or become a student and get massively into debt. Why do people choose the latter? Because, in the long run, it should be financially worthwhile.

Similarly, if you are a new CELTA trainee coming to Poland, you have the choice of an IH school on 1875zl a month or a school where you are pretty much left alone to get on with things and earn 4000zl a month. So why choose IH?

Because, after a year, the IH teacher (if they have a good DoS/Senior staff) would know far more about grammar and methodology. They would have been observed and been given professional development and they would have a more impressive looking CV and better future opportunities. Am I right?
greggie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Bilko the 1875zl is for a qualified experienced teacher, not a newbie! as for retaining teachers how many DOS's have been there in the last 5 years?whatever happened to IH Koszalin that were part of the same network?How many teachers were retained there?Did their teachers get treated the same?I personally find it quite hypocritical to say that all problems were started or caused by the teachers!and at the end of the day, is the DOS supposed to support their teachers or continue brown-nosing the Directors?
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Sorry about the mix up with wages but the principle is still the same with 1500zl or whatever.

As for the DoS, if the teachers are doing their best (planning, being prepared, on time etc) then the DoS should defend them to the heavens against student complaints or Director complaints and give them whatever help is needed (if there are student complaints). If they are winging it, then the DoS should give them the metaphorical kick up the a*se that they need. The DoS should also inspire by their enthusiasm, dedication etc. You can't expect the teachers to care if the DoS doesn't. I don't think anyone expects the director to care too much except about money.

Do they have a teachers' representative there? A sort of unofficial union rep? In my experience, someone with a forceful, but polite, personality can really unnerve a director who is used to blind obedience from 'underlings'.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackwalker wrote:

Quote:
Filet Mignon,grilled lobster tails,prawns,French wine,truffles and the like.

and that's just breakfast!
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: You wouldn't let it lie! (Vic Reeves) Reply with quote

The only people who rate IH are people at IH...they bought the 'you need a CELTA grade B' bs. IH are notoriously bad payers as anyone with an ounce of experience knows. The IH in question lost 26 out of its 28 teachers when I was there. The 2 who remained did so because of a girl....turned out to be the same one Smile. IH doesn't look good on a CV as no-one cares about some raggedy-ass franchise which, quite frankly, is very good at blowing smoke up its own cornhole. IH Bydgoszcz is exploitation full stop.
maniak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:

2) The money is fine. Most new teachers are single people in their 20s. Anybody in that situation who can't live on 1875zl and a free flat has problems. I've never met anyone who couldn't. I've never met a teacher who has any desire to drink whiskey in a hotel bar. Who actually does that? In Poland or anywhere else?

Im not butting into the rest of thread, but I dont get it how you can be this deluded. 1875 and how many hours a month? 96? Thats 20zl an hour. A shop assistant makes 15zl, a job that simply requires your physical presence in a store.

The reality is this: most professionals in Poland make 7000-10000zl a month, 3000zl is considered the minimum for life in a city, no kids of course.

1875zl is a beggars sum, even with a free (probably shared?) flat, which is worth what, 800zl? I'm sure it was enough for food and drink and taking a train trip to Warsaw, the thing is you probably never bought a thing that cost more than 100zl in Poland, you came here with a full suitcase with clothes, laptop and thats all you need for now. You probably never cooked food or made dinner for anybody, never had to take care of someone sick.

You are obviously not taking into consideration what life actually costs: medical costs like private doctors visits, glasses, medicine, home furnishings, clothing...

...let alone such luxuries as a car, a hobby, a sport. Really, do you do any sports? Do you have a hobby? And downloading movies and watching em is not a hobby. Do you even have a girlfriend? Or have had a steady relationship??

This is not a personal attack, I just dont see how you could live like this and be so blissfully happy unless you either truly live like a bum with no future prospects or have another source of income.
greggie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maniak has really hit the nail on the head! how long can someone survive on notsoyumyum noodles? Or going dutch on a date?Polish girls dont generally accept it. Sports?i goto a gym and that takes up 150zl, insurance for the car another 150zl, diesel 200zl, But what iknowwhatiamtalkingabout forgot to say is that IH DO NOT PAY the bills!so how about water,CO2,administration,electricity,cable or satellite tv(cant live on Polsat), if your downloading films lets add another 100zl for the net. So looks like some teachers are living on fresh air. As for Beef Minot can i have some please?
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greggie wrote:
I think maniak has really hit the nail on the head! how long can someone survive on notsoyumyum noodles? Or going dutch on a date?Polish girls dont generally accept it. Sports?i goto a gym and that takes up 150zl, insurance for the car another 150zl, diesel 200zl, But what iknowwhatiamtalkingabout forgot to say is that IH DO NOT PAY the bills!so how about water,CO2,administration,electricity,cable or satellite tv(cant live on Polsat), if your downloading films lets add another 100zl for the net. So looks like some teachers are living on fresh air. As for Beef Minot can i have some please?

Wrong. IH Bydgoszcz do pay bills such as water ,electricity, gas etc. The only bills a teacher pays are for the internet, phone and staellite tv. As I said, if you have Skype, then there's no need for a landline phone for expensive calls abroad.

Also, you commented earlier that a teacher only gets 300zl more than a street sweeper. This is nonsense. Unless street sweeping now comes with a rent-paid flat. And I'd also imagine that the street sweeper pays tax on his income. At IH Bydgoszcz you take home the 1875 minimum. In reality most people get more. Exam classes, travel, cover etc all go on top of the minimum salary.

Greggie, sounds to me like you've been sacked/turned down by IH at some point. You seem very bitter.

I enjoyed my time there, lived well and certainly improved vastly as a teacher.

It was actually a common joke in my time at IH to sit in Barka/El Jazz/Mozg or wherever and laugh about threads like this on this site telling people how grim life was in Bydgoszcz.

Also, you asked how many DOSes there have been in the last 5 years. The answer is 3. One left after 6 years at the school, another left to go abroad (and I gather is now working for the school again) and the latest one will now be halfway through his second year.

As for the allegations that I am management at IH, that's silly. I worked there for a few years, but never as more than a humble teacher.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt Bilko wrote:
OK Sorry about the mix up with wages but the principle is still the same with 1500zl or whatever.

As for the DoS, if the teachers are doing their best (planning, being prepared, on time etc) then the DoS should defend them to the heavens against student complaints or Director complaints and give them whatever help is needed (if there are student complaints). If they are winging it, then the DoS should give them the metaphorical kick up the a*se that they need. The DoS should also inspire by their enthusiasm, dedication etc. You can't expect the teachers to care if the DoS doesn't. I don't think anyone expects the director to care too much except about money.

Do they have a teachers' representative there? A sort of unofficial union rep? In my experience, someone with a forceful, but polite, personality can really unnerve a director who is used to blind obedience from 'underlings'.

Last year there was a staff rep. I'd imagine there is one this year too.

I always found any problems I had with the school were best dealt with by going straight to the top and being reasonable. Looked after me fine.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make 1875zł in less than a week.

I'd expect an absolute noob to be earning just less than that a week in Warsaw, at a school, in the current climate with no problems whatsoever.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
I make 1875zł in less than a week.

I'd expect an absolute noob to be earning just less than that a week in Warsaw, at a school, in the current climate with no problems whatsoever.

Bydgoszcz isn't Warsaw. Not nearly as expensive.

I'm not saying the money at IH is mind blowing, but the idea that you can't live on it is silly. I lived on it fine for several years.

Thinking of the people I know who still work there, there are foreign teachers who have worked there for 10, 7, 6, 4 years as well as a third year and 3 or 4 second year teachers. No idea how many new people they hired over the summer.

But I think the number of returners - and the length or time people stay - tell you quite a lot. It's a good place to work. These people are obviously not living in poverty, or they'd have left.

But a guy from 1996 says they're poor. I'll get on Facebook and tell them.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be missing the point a little bit.

I'm trying to see this form the point of view of an average noob with a celta fresh in his/her hand.

You're qualified, have no connection to Poland (or some long distance relative), want to have fun and "experience" Poland (i.e. shag birds and drink beer if you're a male if we follow the "team B" point of view).

You have a few decisions to make:
Money - in Warsaw you'd clear 5k without blinking. Everywhere else lower or dramatically lower.
Life - you might fancy being close to the mountains and culture - Krakow.
Business and birds - Warsaw
the sea - tri-city
other areas of interest - Wrocław etc
I don't mean to be cruel, but Bydgoszcz doesn't make that list.

The main aim of these posts are not just a general "IH pays rubbish" idea (although they do pay absolute peanuts) but its more along the idea of "why would you earn peanuts in a place like Byd. where you can earn a whole lot more in better places and have the same development, friendships etc etc".

I applaud your tenacity however.
If you're thinking of a change of scenery i.e. Warsaw, I've got plenty going for sb like you.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
jackwalker wrote:

Quote:
Filet Mignon,grilled lobster tails,prawns,French wine,truffles and the like.

and that's just breakfast!

.....and we wash that breakfast down with Johnnie Walker Blue label Laughing
greggie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually let me answer your point about being turned down by IH, i can categorically deny ever working or applying to work for them! I have my own successful school in Pila. I just know a lot of teachers that have and do now work for IH North or whatever they are called. As you are aware if you read what is written about them, let me quote another poster"nothing more than human-traffickers"not my words but someone elses. But have sidetracked what this forum was about, its about paying a newbie less than 1875zl, in Pila i clear 10,000zl, but i work 6 days a week and own my school. I met a few teachers last year and the year before from IH Koszalin and am still in contact with them, but they seem to have been treated in a total different manner. Dynow i want some of that too!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:

Business and birds - Warsaw
the sea - tri-city
other areas of interest - Wrocław etc
I don't mean to be cruel, but Bydgoszcz doesn't make that list.

The main aim of these posts are not just a general "IH pays rubbish" idea (although they do pay absolute peanuts) but its more along the idea of "why would you earn peanuts in a place like Byd. where you can earn a whole lot more in better places and have the same development, friendships etc etc".

I applaud your tenacity however.
If you're thinking of a change of scenery i.e. Warsaw, I've got plenty going for sb like you.

Tempting to heed the Siren's call and come to War, no?

It's true:

1) The money is better here (even taking into account the higher cost of living).
2) There is a lot going on entertainment wise (even if the city itself is a soul-less business center).
3) Public transportation is quite good (you can comfortably reach your destination quickly, while the shmucks in cars in the traffic jams swear and honk their horns).
4) We use efficient numbered lists to get our points across.
BUT
5) The birds will not be impressed so much by your foreign accent. No one here is from Warsaw anyway, so a foreigner is regarded with slight suspicion. At least until after the first few dates are out of the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: