Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Narcos hit BUSES!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Narcos hit BUSES! Reply with quote

MEXICO CITY (AP) � Mexican officials say a group of armed men attacked people traveling by bus through the Gulf coast state of Veracruz, killing seven.

http://news.yahoo.com/11-killed-attacks-mexican-buses-town-204940325.html

Stay safe out there!

More Info:

Reporting from Mexico City� Gunmen opened fire Thursday on three passenger buses in the violence-racked state of Veracruz, killing at least seven people, Mexican authorities said.

All five attackers were killed in a shootout with federal security forces after the attack, which took place on a rural highway near Panuco in the northern part of the coastal state.

State spokeswoman Gina Dominguez said the gunmen were suspected in a separate attack earlier Thursday in El Higo, another town not far from the border with Tamaulipas state. Four people were killed in that assault.

Dominguez did not specify a possible motive for the predawn attacks, nor did she identify the gunmen. She said the buses belonged to three separate companies that serve the northern end of Veracruz.

She said Mexican troops chased the gunmen down before the gun battle that left the assailants dead.

"We are working to identify them, to identify the group that attacked the buses," Dominguez said in an interview on Milenio Television.

She said troops recovered an armor-reinforced vehicle, five rifles and 54 ammunition clips, as well as eight cellphones.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-veracruz-shootings-20111223,0,6274246.story
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Narcos hit BUSES! Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
MEXICO CITY (AP) � Mexican officials say a group of armed men attacked people traveling by bus through the Gulf coast state of Veracruz, killing seven.

http://news.yahoo.com/11-killed-attacks-mexican-buses-town-204940325.html

Stay safe out there!

More Info:

Reporting from Mexico City� Gunmen opened fire Thursday on three passenger buses in the violence-racked state of Veracruz, killing at least seven people, Mexican authorities said.

All five attackers were killed in a shootout with federal security forces after the attack, which took place on a rural highway near Panuco in the northern part of the coastal state.

State spokeswoman Gina Dominguez said the gunmen were suspected in a separate attack earlier Thursday in El Higo, another town not far from the border with Tamaulipas state. Four people were killed in that assault.

Dominguez did not specify a possible motive for the predawn attacks, nor did she identify the gunmen. She said the buses belonged to three separate companies that serve the northern end of Veracruz.

She said Mexican troops chased the gunmen down before the gun battle that left the assailants dead.

"We are working to identify them, to identify the group that attacked the buses," Dominguez said in an interview on Milenio Television.

She said troops recovered an armor-reinforced vehicle, five rifles and 54 ammunition clips, as well as eight cellphones.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-veracruz-shootings-20111223,0,6274246.story

Guess it's a good idea to stop taking buses in Mexico. Hopefully the new administration will be able to get control of their country back from the cartels and gangs.
uh huh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Narcos Reply with quote

I don't know, EFLeducator. Seems kinda like not flying if there's a plane crash. I can see exercising caution in parts of Mexico, but I can't see deciding not to take buses in any part of the country.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Narcos Reply with quote

uh huh wrote:
I don't know, EFLeducator. Seems kinda like not flying if there's a plane crash. I can see exercising caution in parts of Mexico, but I can't see deciding not to take buses in any part of the country.

The narcoinsurgentes aren�t shooting planes down with SAM�s (well, not that has been proven, the 2 Sec. of the Interior crashes leave some room to the imagination there...) but they are hitting buses. Obviously caution is in order. Even the best bus lines have routes that traverse very remote and desolate areas of highway, often at night. Bus robberies are nothing new in Mexico, nor are horrific crashes. But the drug war has been notching everything up all over Mexico. From beheadings, to the death toll of well over 40,000 (probably 50,000) in just a few years to the growing sense of fear & lack of control for everyday Mexicans, the list just goes on. Now add to it attacks on buses, the primary means of transport for many Mexicans, and the fear & danger level has just gone up a notch, yet again.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Narcos Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
The narcoinsurgentes aren�t shooting planes down with SAM�s but they are hitting buses. Obviously caution is in order.

I have to agree with you, Prof. Gringo. I used to travel from Dallas, Texas to Mexico City on Autobuses Americanos and it was a great way to practice my Spanish and to soak up the Mexican culture and make a few friends all at the same time. It was nice.

But now I wouldn't travel by bus in Mexico because of the cartels and gangs battling it out on the highways at times. It's just not safe anymore and that is sad. The TEFLer's in Mexico will probably considerflying if they are traveling within Mexico these days. Probably safer since I haven't heard nor seen any news stories of gangs or the cartels shooting or killing anyone in airplanes.

Hopefully Nieto will be able to take his country out of the hands of the criminals when he takes power in 2013.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Narcos Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
The narcoinsurgentes aren�t shooting planes down with SAM�s but they are hitting buses. Obviously caution is in order.

I have to agree with you, Prof. Gringo. I used to travel from Dallas, Texas to Mexico City on Autobuses Americanos and it was a great way to practice my Spanish and to soak up the Mexican culture and make a few friends all at the same time. It was nice.

But now I wouldn't travel by bus in Mexico because of the cartels and gangs battling it out on the highways at times. It's just not safe anymore and that is sad. The TEFLer's in Mexico will probably considerflying if they are traveling within Mexico these days. Probably safer since I haven't heard nor seen any news stories of gangs or the cartels shooting or killing anyone in airplanes.

Hopefully Nieto will be able to take his country out of the hands of the criminals when he takes power in 2013.

I am sure Pe�a Nieto will save Mexico, Viva el PRI! Laughing
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing I have to agree with you on this one.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this on Yahoo. Three Americans were killed when that bus was attacked. Let's be careful traveling in Mexico my fellow TEFLer's.

http://news.yahoo.com/three-u-citizens-killed-mexico-attacks-084334837.html
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fear of attacks on buses affected our travel plans somewhat this season, but did not stop us.

We took buses running between the D.F., Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende and Queretaro.

The only time anything out of the ordinary occurred was on a visit to Teotithuacan when the local bus we were riding was stopped, all the men taken off, perfunctorily searched, and reboarded. It felt a little like Bosnia-Hertzogovenia.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
The only time anything out of the ordinary occurred was on a visit to Teotithuacan when the local bus we were riding was stopped, all the men taken off, perfunctorily searched, and reboarded. It felt a little like Bosnia-Hertzogovenia.

Think I'll pass on taking buses in Mexico. I prefer to avoid situations such as was mentioned above. As a professional TEFLer, I prefer to stay home most of the time anyway. That way I can save some of the money I make teaching EFL in the DF. Plus, I'm a couch potato type anyway. Wink
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Fear of attacks on buses affected our travel plans somewhat this season, but did not stop us.

We took buses running between the D.F., Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende and Queretaro.

How nice, things in Mexico are so bad right now that the fear-factor is very real and it is now compared to being in the midst of a full-scale civil war!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Tretyakovskii wrote:

Think I'll pass on taking buses in Mexico. I prefer to avoid situations such as was mentioned above. As a professional TEFLer, I prefer to stay home most of the time anyway. That way I can save some of the money I make teaching EFL in the DF. Plus, I'm a couch potato type anyway. Wink

I have seen bus robberies in the DF, fist fights in the Metro system, been on an intercity Mexican bus when the army came on-board with automatic rifles and checked all our ID�s (multiple times) and been in a few cabs where I just bailed out as the situation was not at all cool. But I say AGAIN, the narcoinsurgentes have taken all of this, the fear, the violence, the discord, up several very big notches.

With over 50,000 dead in just a few short years and no end in sight, instability in Mexico is getting worse and there is no end in sight.

The fact that the violence is only getting worse, despite the huge numbers of Mexican soldiers, sailors and marines deployed shows that there will be no let-up in violence or problems in 2012...
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
I have seen bus robberies in the DF, fist fights in the Metro system, been on an intercity Mexican bus when the army came on-board with automatic rifles and checked all our ID�s (multiple times) and been in a few cabs where I just bailed out as the situation was not at all cool. But I say AGAIN, the narcoinsurgentes have taken all of this, the fear, the violence, the discord, up several very big notches.

That's scary. Crying or Very sad

Prof.Gringo wrote:
The fact that the violence is only getting worse, despite the huge numbers of Mexican soldiers, sailors and marines deployed shows that there will be no let-up in violence or problems in 2012...

I can't remember the name of the guy but I think he is a writer in Mexico, and he was saying that Mexico cannot handle this situation on its own. An outside force will have to come in a restore order in Mexico.

I agree with him 100% but I don't think the Mexican government would want that even though it probably would work so the violence will continue. Crying or Very sad
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Tretyakovskii wrote:

How nice, things in Mexico are so bad right now that the fear-factor is very real and it is now compared to being in the midst of a full-scale civil war!

My thoughts exactly!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
Tretyakovskii wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

If the narcoinsurgentes were to ban together, they could topple the Mex govt in a week. But then they would have to run the whole show and what they really want is to run the govt from the shadows like it was before, in the "good-old" days of the mighty PRI.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: