Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American with a Masters in TESOL, where for quality Unis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobTM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: American with a Masters in TESOL, where for quality Unis? Reply with quote

So I'm going for a Masters in TESOL. I have a CELTA and 2 year's experience as is, and will be getting more experience teaching in the U.S. public schools while getting my masters.

After I would like to teach in Universities abroad, but this will be in more than a year. Just wondering overall, what are some countries where an American could get a nice paying job at a University? I'm more than willing to check out non EU countries, as I have lived in Mexico and Colombia already and am not afraid of ''poor countries''.

The Balkans seem quite nice...

Thanks for any general guidance,
Jacob
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western European universities will still be quite a long-shot even with the MA, assuming that you have only the US passport. A university in the 'old' EU member countries would have to make a case that you have qualifications no EU teacher who applied for a post had - near impossible in this very competitive job market. The most recent advertisement the university where I work put out drew nearly 50 GOOD applications, meaning related MA ++.

Central/Eastern Europe is a better option for finding legal work, but the problem is that at the university level, pay is VERY VERY low. I've got related MA, 14 years of experience in Europe and Canada, speak Czech, have permanent residency in the Czech Republic, and would LOVE to be teaching at a university here - but I simply can't afford to. This is generally true for the region, unfortunately. I think that if you search job advertisements (there aren't that many around, but a few) you will find that pay in these areas can't be considered 'nice' at all. People actually make more working for private language schools teaching businesspeople.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral's comment about low pay extends to Russia. ALTHOUGH, one guy I know does a gig where the university pays him a salary for a relatively small number of hours a week (6 or 8, I think) and he then builds up his income with privates. Essentially, however, this means that the uni job is to get the visa, but not to earn a living.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: