Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NIE number queries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: NIE number queries Reply with quote

I am an EU citizen, but I am a bit confused about the process of obtaining an NIE number. Some people say that what matters in proof of residance in Spain (so I could get an apartment, get a letter from landlord, and then get the NIE)

Others say it is a contract of eomployment that is more significant?

I've done some research, and I am still confused! I've also found a few legal services that say they make the process more simple.

Any advice please?

This links seems pretty helpful:
http://costablanca.angloinfo.com/countries/spain/nie.asp
(info copy and pasted below)

Applying for an NIE Number
An EU-citizen applying for their certificate of residence (certificado de registro) will be issued an NIE number at the same time.

For more, see AngloINFO INFOrmation Page Residency in Spain & EU Registration Certificates
Applications for an NIE can be made at a police station with a foreigners' department (Oficina de Extranjeros) of a national Spanish police station (comisar�a), or by contacting the local regional government; either in person or through a representative.

For the addresses and contact telephone numbers of all Oficina de Extranjeros: Click here
The following documents are required:

An application form, the Solicitud de N�mero de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) y Certificados (form EX-15), filled out and signed
Download Solicitud de N�mero de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) y Certificados EX-15: Click here (PDF)
Do not sign the completed application form until in the presence of an official
Receipt for payment of the fee, stamped by the bank
Identity card or original passport and photocopy
Two passport photographs
Certified documentation stating the reasons for applying for the NIE may be required.

Note: In some parts of Spain (including Costa Blanca) the application should be made at the office in question where the forms used are auto-carbonated copies. However, in others areas the printable form, EX-15, is accepted.

Once the application is made, processing may take a month or more. Usually, the office will issue a date to collect the NIE which should be done in person; notification is not made by post or telephone. In some locations (Madrid is one such) the NIE may be issued immediately.
coco1979

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to get an NIE to buy a house. The solicitor I was using organised it for me. It is actually a free service but you need to speak the language and do a lot of queuing so I thought it was well worth the 100 euros to avoid the queues and and the language hassles.
It was done in Alicante and there are a lot of English speaking solicitors in the Costa Blanca.
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what information you had to provide? An address of your house etc?
coco1979

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really remember now, but it couldn't have been anything too hard, the passport and the 100 euros were most important!
daniel_hayes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay a hundred Euros, but I need to find out what I need, in terms of contracts etc.
coco1979

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just email a local solicitor
IanN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that the some of the rules changed at the beginning of the year. (As of 3rd January.)

Personal attendance when applying for an NIE number is now mandatory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: