Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job hunting in Montpellier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Job hunting in Montpellier Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I decided to give myself a challenge by coming to look for work in the south of France, where it is notoriously difficult to find..I have been in Montpellier since the middle of August (I was doing a French course) and job hunting since the start of September. I have been round all the language schools I could find, in person, and left them my CV. Nobody is recruiting. A few said they might need teachers if business picks up later, but I've no idea how likely that is.
Anyway. my question is: what now? I have found a place to live and can support myself for a couple of months. (I'm British so don't have a visa problem.) I have also advertised private lessons and have found a couple of students that way. I get the impression there is quite a lot of demand, but I don't think I can make a living just from private lessons. Does anyone know of any other avenues I could explore? I'm thinking about primary schools - I know I'm not qualified to teach in the state sector but I thought there might be a school in need of an English assistant. Has anyone found work this way, and is it best to go to the schools in person or do I have to contact a central body?
Any advice would be very gratefully received! I have the CELTA and 18 months' experience teaching in Slovakia. I am thinking about other areas of work too, but feel my French (level B2 ish) isn't really good enough at the moment.

Thanks!

Livvy
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1; Go on the vistaprint.com site and have some business cards printed as well as some stick on sticky things - all you pay is the postage. Choose a striking background with Formateur d'anglais or Professeur d'anglais + name, address and phone/e-mail contact details.

Leave these in local shops, caf�s, creperies, the Uni students' Union and anywhere else you can think of.

2; Contact the Prefecture Education Dept and get on their list of "vacataire" teachers. In the U.K. that's called 'supply teaching'. In a week or two the first teachers will be going on sick leave with stress or on Maternity leave. You can usually find jobs that go through to the end of term or longer. You can work up to 200 hours like this

Take photocopies of Certificates and Uni Degree Cert if you have them.
LivH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I will definitely look into vacataire work. I've advertised private lessons in a few places, but online ads seem to work best as that's where the responses have come from so far. Will try and spread the word more at the universities as well, as there are a lot of students here.

Livvy
tallllama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Livvy,

I was just wondering if you had any luck on the job front in Montpellier? I am going out to the South of France in the new year and am hoping to find some teaching work, in a similar position to you but I have a little less experience so I'm not too hopeful! Any tips would be much appreciated!

Carrie
bsjess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Consider signing up for the TESOL France Jobs List Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you considered signing up to the TESOL France Jobs List? It's free and you get announcements for jobs all over the country. We filter the announcements so you won't be spammed by unrelated advertisements (though you'll get just a few emails from TESOL France about events).

You can sign up here:

http://www.tesol-france.org/teachingjobs.php

There are a lot of members on the list so if you get an announcement that appeals to you, act quickly.

Another piece of advice is be patient. I started out like you (cold calling and getting private students). After a year in France I built up the network and was referred for jobs. It takes time in France. There's a strong referral culture here.

Also: the market is a bit tough right now. It will likely take some time.

Good luck!
Bethany Cagnol
TESOL France President
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: