Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House CELTA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcm021

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: International House CELTA Reply with quote

I applied for the CELTA course at IH Bogota about two weeks ago, and I understand the next step is a telephone interview. Does anybody have insight into the interview process, including how long it typically takes to set up the interview and to receive a decision regarding admittance?

Thanks
CountBassD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably take a couple of weeks until it's all finalized. Don't worry, you're admitted.
G22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has taken this course within the last year and a half I would strongly advise you to take the CELTA elsewhere.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another anti-IH post from G22.
bcm021

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, G22. I've read your posts, so I can tell you haven't had a great experience with IH. I am, however, motivated to complete the CELTA and there aren't many other options. Has anybody else taken the course with IH recently and had a positive experience?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bcm021 wrote:
Thanks for your input, G22. I've read your posts, so I can tell you haven't had a great experience with IH. I am, however, motivated to complete the CELTA and there aren't many other options. Has anybody else taken the course with IH recently and had a positive experience?

The CELTA is standardized and monitored by Cambridge, so you're likely to get a pretty similar experience just about anywhere you do it. That's one of the main selling points of the CELTA over a generic certification: no matter where you do it, you know what you're going to get. You'll get better facilities and administration at an organization like the British Council, but the teachers' qualifications, the content, and what you need to do to pass is all standardized across training centers. G22 has been vocal enough in his criticism of IH's CELTA that I understand your concern, and it would be nice to hear an opinion from someone else. Overall though, my recommendation would be IH's CELTA is probably fine...but my experience doing the CELTA at the British Council in Bogot� was so positive that I would definitely recommend doing it there if you can. The BC is very well-known and respected in Colombia, so saying you did your teacher training there is a big selling point on your resume.
bcm021

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far BC has only one offering for the CELTA in 2012 and it's in Medellin.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Windowlicker is correct, the content of CELTA courses is standardised, and the courses themselves are externally assessed by Cambridge, one key factor (as with any course) is always going to be how well you happen to get on with the particular tutor/s that you get.

It's therefore not quite as simple as that, as a given course at any given centre could be different for two different people with the same tutors; or two people taking CELTA at the same centre could have different tutors which they personally did or didn't happen to get on well with.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard the CELTA offered in Medellin is on the campus of EAFIT University and run by IH, not BC.

Anybody have any links to confirm or deny this?
JBrown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CountBassD wrote:
It will probably take a couple of weeks until it's all finalized. Don't worry, you're admitted.
Wow! LOL I like my chances as well Smile
bcm021

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to BC's page saying the CELTA will be offered at Centro Colombo Americano in Medellin:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/colombia-ingles-apoyo-a-la-ensenanza-del-ingles-capacitacion-para-profesores-de-ingles-celta.htm
bcm021

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going ahead with the CELTA in May offered by IH, and looking forward to Bogota a lot.

I appreciate everybody who helps out on this forum--particularly spanglish and windowlicker--you guys have posted a lot of useful information.
CountBassD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick peice of advice:

Don't do housing through IH. You will end up paying weekly what really is at least monthly rent if you find something on your own. Check out www.compartoapto.com
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am agonizing over this friking CELTA thing.

With only staying for 1 year I think im better off just getting an online TEFL to get me familiar with teaching ESL to go along with my University degree.

I cant justify dropping OVER 2k on a CELTA.

That will pay for almost a YEARS worth of rent in Colombia!!

Looking to have about 5k saved by July/August then head on down to Colombia. Use 2k for rent, and the other 3k for emergencies and side trips.
SirKirby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am agonizing over this friking CELTA thing. With only staying for 1 year I think im better off just getting an online TEFL to get me familiar with teaching ESL to go along with my University degree. I cant justify dropping OVER 2k on a CELTA.

Are you just taking a year off and DON'T see English teaching as a career? In that case, maybe you're right.

Or do you want a long-term career in English teaching? In which case, do CELTA or Trinity.

Note also that people find the skills they learn in language teaching are transeferable to other jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: