Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best bet for 4 months in Bogota? (Institutes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Best bet for 4 months in Bogota? (Institutes) Reply with quote

Once I leave Korea im heading to Colombia to kill about 4 months. I will have enough money saved up to where I dont even have to work but id like to get a job and not burn all of that money. I will only have a University degree.

What are my best bets for getting employment in Bogota? What institutes would yall recommend?

I wont need a visa with only staying a short amount of time.
BakerStreetSaxSolo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're a native speaker with experience you won't find it difficult to find work with an institute.

GOLL are US/Canadian-owned and I know some people who work for them and are full of praise. They don't pay the best but they do pay (I've heard several stories of Colombian-owned institutes messing teachers around). ConIngles pay better, but I think all of their teachers have to work mornings (6.30-8.30 classes, roughly). Early morning and early evening classes are the norm for English teachers in Bogota., personally I'm not a morning person so I focus on evening shifts! Wall Street Institute and SMART seem to be the other big ones in the city, but I don't know the details. There are dozens of other, smaller institutes too.
Horizon1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BakerStreetSaxSolo wrote:
if you're a native speaker with experience you won't find it difficult to find work with an institute.

GOLL are US/Canadian-owned and I know some people who work for them and are full of praise. They don't pay the best but they do pay (I've heard several stories of Colombian-owned institutes messing teachers around). ConIngles pay better, but I think all of their teachers have to work mornings (6.30-8.30 classes, roughly). Early morning and early evening classes are the norm for English teachers in Bogota., personally I'm not a morning person so I focus on evening shifts! Wall Street Institute and SMART seem to be the other big ones in the city, but I don't know the details. There are dozens of other, smaller institutes too.

Thanks for the information BakerStreetSaxSolo

I'm a US native speaker.

I have BA, 2 TEFL certs 12 years experience teaching. I have old and recent/current references from schools/employers. I have original documents that are real.

kids, teens, adults, corporates on and off-site, IELTS, TOEFL iBT, TOEIC

Question:

Should I just fly to Bogata (I'm a US citizen) with my teaching clothes and documents and visit the language centers and any schools that are looking for teachers?

Seems like the best way is to be on the ground.

2. Any places/areas where native english teachers meet up/socialize?

I have been teaching abroad for 12 years in Asia. My Spanish speaking & listening is at the upper end of the Intermediate level.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.
MNguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingles Bogota may be a decent place for you, if you're not looking for full-time such as Wall Street or the like. It is early mornings, though. The owner, Paul, is a stand-up guy. No work visa.
MNguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizon1 wrote:
BakerStreetSaxSolo wrote:

Thanks for the information BakerStreetSaxSolo

I'm a US native speaker.

I have BA, 2 TEFL certs 12 years experience teaching. I have old and recent/current references from schools/employers. I have original documents that are real.

kids, teens, adults, corporates on and off-site, IELTS, TOEFL iBT, TOEIC

Question:

Should I just fly to Bogata (I'm a US citizen) with my teaching clothes and documents and visit the language centers and any schools that are looking for teachers?

Seems like the best way is to be on the ground.

2. Any places/areas where native english teachers meet up/socialize?

I have been teaching abroad for 12 years in Asia. My Spanish speaking & listening is at the upper end of the Intermediate level.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

How long do you want to stay? Do you want a work visa?

But, yes, boots on the ground is generally the way to go. International schools will sometimes hire from abroad, but language institutes generally will not.

There was a meet-up group while I was there, but it was for all expats, not just teachers.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizon, id advise taking 9 months and to become a certified teacher so you can teach in international schools.

Do you really wanna be working for peanuts doing spit shifts? You might could get a reg school job but the work load is alot considering the pay. Would need some connections to get a Uni job imo.
Horizon1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:
Ingles Bogota may be a decent place for you, if you're not looking for full-time such as Wall Street or the like. It is early mornings, though. The owner, Paul, is a stand-up guy. No work visa.

Thank you for the reply MNguy:

I am willing to do full-time.

I can do early mornings. (I presume these are business adult students).

I can also do part-time.

As for work visas, it seems the entire South American continent does not offer WP support (unless they are international schools)

Thanks.
Horizon1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long do you want to stay?

Minimum 1 year.

Quote:
Do you want a work visa?

If it makes thing easier, yes. (It does make things easier, IMO.)
Horizon1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internationalist wrote:
Horizon, id advise taking 9 months and to become a certified teacher so you can teach in international schools.

I am now considering that option. Yes, it does not take long once you already have a BA (and I'm told the classroom experience will help.)

Post-BA teaching certs are available.

I would do this ONLY for teaching at international schools abroad. Some of my family members and friends are teachers in the US and I would not want to teach in the US.

Quote:
Do you really wanna be working for peanuts doing spit shifts? You might could get a reg school job but the work load is alot considering the pay. Would need some connections to get a Uni job imo.

True.

That is why unfortunately, people should not do this type of work very long. The longer you do it, the worse off you become financially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: