Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pets in Prague?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixykat222

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Pets in Prague? Reply with quote

So I've got another random question for you guys... Does anyone have any experience with having a dog in Prague (or nearby)? My travel companion just happens to be a medium sized pup, and the difficulty associated with having him abroad is a large factor in my decision. I've traveled internationally with him twice, so I have no problem figuring out paperwork/quarantine procedures/etc, I'm mostly curious about the general cost of having a dog there (ie: food, vet visits, etc) And, are people there pretty friendly with animals?

I'd appreciate the help Smile

thanks!
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pixy,

Dogs are well liked in Prague and you'll see them everywhere and you can pretty much bring them anywhere. Some landlords might take issue with you having a pet, so make sure you find one that is dog friendly. The only thing you'll need to remember is that on public transport, they have to wear a muzzle. So, if your pup is not used to wearing something like that you should give him a little practice before heading out on the metro or a tram. Other than that, you can bring the dog to parks and bring them to most restaurants and businesses.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little avatar and I have lived in the CR on and off for his whole life, and as we have family in Prague we spend a lot of time in the city (the schnauzer's Canadian by birth and has travelled internationally many, many times). As Chris says, the city is extremely dog-friendly, especially as compared to North America!

Absolutely welcome on busses, metro, trams, and trains although as Chris points out, a muzzle is required. You'll also have to buy him/her a ticket - the same as an adult human, unless the dog's small enough to go in a bag, in which case he/she is free. Train tickets are 15k. one way anywhere in the country, having recently been standardised. Most restaurants and pubs and hotels are OK with dogs.

There are many beautiful off-leash parks (you can find us often at Letna, Kampa, and on Petrin hill, our favourites).

If you are flying into Prague, count on having the dog's paperwork checked, and your passport may be re-checked by the customs officials as well. They are much more stringent here than in German airports. You'll want to be sure everything's up to date and complete, with as many pretty stamps as you can get from your home veterinary officials!Smile No quarantines apply here that I know of.

Vet visits are indeed comparable in cost to Canada, and I suppose to the US as well (bad news, I know!). I can highly recommend this one at Stodulky:
http://prague-stay.com/lifestyle/review/1124-duchek-vet-center/

There are multiple good vets on staff in this place, which is totally self-equipped - you get bloodwork back in 15 minutes, for example. The doctors speak proficient English as well. The only drawback is location - I can now navigate my way there by bus but took a taxi the first time.

You can register your dog's microchip in Prague here: http://www.mikrocipy.cz/
for a small fee. I think you actually have to visit the clinic Maria vet, but it's pretty centrally-located, just up the hill from Vaclavske nam. and easy to reach.

A variety of dog foods are readily available at any 'akvaristika' (pet store) and there will likely be brands you are familiar with. Vets also sell the same Royal Canin or Hill's special diets you can buy in North America. Prices are generally reasonable.

I expect that your dog will enjoy Prague - and be sure to take him/her on some nice train journeys to smaller cities around the country - it's so easy to travel with a dog here that it would be a pity to only hang about in the big city!
pixykat222

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks so much for the quick replies! Perfectly answers my questions. Smile

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: