Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jobs for graduates with no experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kleeas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: jobs for graduates with no experience Reply with quote

Hi, just wonderig how hard or easy is it to find teaching positions for a graduate with a 2:1 degree but no teaching experience and no tefl qualifications. Recently got rejected from the jet programme so am now focusing on jobs in china and twaiwan cos i really want to learn mandarin aswell. however it seems pretty tough out there even though half the schools do not require tefl certificates or teaching experience. any info much appreciated.
daily chai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a 2:1 degree?
Four years ago I was hired within 3 days of arriving in Taiwan with only a BA (4 year degree). I think a lot of places advertise in the international jobs area that don't require experience. If you come at the beginning of summer (June) or better yet, late May places will JUMP on the opportunity to hire you if you have a bachelor's degree. That's right before the summer rush and schools want you trained and ready to take on classes before the summer term hits. These days a lot of places I wlaked into asked if I had a TEFL cert (no) but that didn't stop me from getting offers at good schools, but I had experience by then too. You might want to start with a small school or go to a big chain school. They both have their advantages (and disadvantages). Come with a tie and business casual clothes--you could interview at Wall Street, which does hire greenhorns straight from their bachelor's graduation.
Micro67

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Plenty of Work Reply with quote

Just by virtue of being a native speaker you can find work, but there is are people working for $7-8US an hour all the way up to people making $40US/hr with perks.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "2:1 degree" is Britspeak.

Honours degrees are graded
1 First Class
2:1 Second Class, Division One
2:2 Second Class, Division Two
3 Third Class

The original poster is probably unaware that the rest of the world does not do things this way !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: