Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How is Qatar these days?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: How is Qatar these days? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I usually stay in the Mexico forum, but from time to time wanderlust gets the best of me. My husband (Mexican) is a mathematician, and I was peeking around the net looking to see where he could work and I found list job listing

http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000709211-01

sounds pretty good--especially the flight allowance for dependants and education allowance. We have three kids ages 7, 7, and 2. What exactly is the education allowance and how are the schools--the seven year olds are girls if that makes a difference.

But the hubby is like Qatar? No way! Not now, war is about to break out in Iran.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MotherF,

War is ALWAYS "about to break out" in the Middle East. That's the normal state of affairs there. During the 20 years I was there, almost every time I'd be going back from vacation, war was "about to break out" (if you believed the media.)

And a couple of times, it actually did: Desert Storm and our invasion of Iraq. Still two times out of twenty is only 10%.

Oh, I was also in the Islamic Revolution in Iran in 1979, but that one pretty much caught the media (and a lot of others) by surprise Very Happy.

Regards,
John
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

That's pretty much what I thought, but you know these types who read-watch too much news. That's my husband.

So can anyone comment on education? What exactly is the education allowance? Just cash for school? or tuition at a specific school? What kind of schools for foreign girls who speak Spanish and English are there in Qatar?
Where do most of the non-English faculty come from?
Does a Mexican mathematician have a chance in hell at landing a job? (He passed the TOEFL about a decade ago, and would be willing to retake it if need be.)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here is that I doubt that we have any regular posters who would know much of anything about the math department and whether they would hire your husband or not. Most non-native speakers of English would be from the sub-continent and other Arab countries.

One oddity in the listing... well two actually... is that it says "teaching assistant" and it also says that it is "tenure track." Since usually only holders of national passports can get tenure, I'm wondering about this. So I went to the university website linked in the ad, and mention of tenure isn't there. It does say that the TOEFL score must be less than 2 years old. There is also another math opening on the site which requires an MA.

If you search around on their website, it may talk about school fees. From what I have heard from parents over the years, payments rarely cover total costs... especially if you have more than 2 kids. Schooling would be in English and there would likely not be many... or any... Spanish speakers around.

I'd say apply and see what happens.

VS
Geronimo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello MotherF,

Here is a link to a listing of schools in Doha that you may find to be of interest...

http://www.qatarsites.com/dir/qatar-schools

Geronimo
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I was looking around the web a bit and saw one called Cedars that seems to specialize in international children who's English might not be up to speed for the other top international schools--which is our case. My children understand English, but have spent very little time in places where it is widely used.

Would it be realistic for both parents to work in Qatar? Or would child care costs out weigh the income the lesser qualified parent (me) would make? Are there part-time English teaching opportunities or much demand for private lessons? I'm very familiar with the Cambridge main suite exams, is their demand for that in Qatar?
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I was at QP for just under 3 years and can tell you there was definitely a Mexican contractor there who taught maths or science of some sort, hired through TAFE if I remember correctly.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: New National Holiday =- Sports Day Reply with quote

Emir adds 'National Sports Day' to holiday roster

Qatar�s Emir has declared the second Tuesday of February each year to be National Sports Day.

During the official paid national holiday, government ministries and private sector organizations must organize �a wide range of sports activities� for different age groups.

The first National Sports Day falls on - you guessed it - Valentine�s Day.

Enjoy it with a brisk walk on the Corniche, all!
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Billionaires! Reply with quote

Doing pretty good, I'd say.

Quote:
�Qatar has third highest density of millionaires�

Doha Bank Group CEO R.Seetharaman
Qatar has the third highest density of millionaires in the world after Singapore and Switzerland, with 8.9% of households having $1mn or more in assets to management, Doha Bank said in a report.
Qatar had about $183bn in assets under management in 2010.Qatar Exchange in partnership with NYSE Euro next continues to develop the capital market with plans for new products such as bonds.
QE was the best performing index in region in 2010 and 2011. The market capitalisation grew by 1.59% to QR457bn. In 2011 Qatar ranked number 8th in terms of total return performance (including dividends) with a total return of about 5.6%.There is also significant scope for growth in mutual funds which at present in Qatar represent just a small percentage of GDP, compared to 70% in the United States and 33% in the United Kingdom. One of the major features that make a financial centre more attractive is tax. Compared with other financial centres such as London, New York and Singapore, Qatar has a very attractive tax rate for asset management firms wanting to locate here.10% tax on profits.
In 2010 global wealth increased by 8% percent to $121tn. North America had the largest absolute gain of any regional wealth market in assets under management (AuM), at $3.6tn, and the second-highest growth rate, at 10.2%. In Europe, wealth grew at a below-average rate of 4.8%, but the region still had a gain of $1.7tn in AuM. Wealth grew fastest in Asia-Pacific (excluding Japan), at a 17.1% rate. In the Middle East and Africa, growth was at 8.6%.

In Latin America, wealth grew by 8.2%. Wealth declined by 0.2% in the Japanese market to $16.8tn. In terms of individual countries, the nations showing the largest absolute gains in wealth were the United States, China, the United Kingdom, and India. Globally, the wealth management sector is expected to grow at a compounded annual rate of 5.9% from year-end 2010 through 2015 to about $162tn, driven by the performance of the capital markets and economic growth in emerging marketsGCC countries have one of the world�s highest savings rates. GCC-based individual investors now have approximately US$2tn in investable, liquid assets. It can touch $2.8tn by 2015.This wealth is split across the different GCC countries, with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates sharing almost 80% of total assets. Pension funds in the GCC are also a source of investments. The various categories of investors are Ultra-high-net-worth individual (UHNWI), High-net-worth individual (HNWI) and affluent investors.�Wealth managers seek increased share of wallet. Unlike mass-retail financial services where a person deals with a large number of service providers, clients tend to entrust their wealth with probably 2-4 wealth managers,� Doha Bank said.�First, it is an excellent source of new assets, revenue and increased profitability, with low acquisition costs. Second, greater share of wallet, makes it more difficult for the client to leave. As the range of products to be offered for wealthy customers is quite large, wealth managers are moving into a hybrid model of producer plus distributor.
Wealth managers realise that it is not possible for them to produce each and every product. At the same time they require a bouquet of products to acquire and retain a client. Striking alliances is a key.
�Due to additional requirements imposed by rapid and unprecedented growth, increasing client expectations on business responsiveness and quality, as well as increasing regulatory and fiscal changes. Good IT systems are seen as a key enabler for growth.The various wealth management strategies include partnering, hybrid, white labeling and open architecture. The challenges to wealth management include vulnerable euro conditions, capital market development in GCC. Also in GCC products are mainly confined to equities and properties and less products in bond markets due to lack of well developed bond market. Product structuring should be done to handle different segments of investors,� Doha Bank said.

battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Exciting place to be Reply with quote

Quote:
Spidey goes over the top

Thousands of spectators turned out at Aspire Zone yesterday to watch �Spiderman� Alain Robert set a Guinness World Record by climbing the 300m high Aspire Tower in the fastest time, unassisted. The Frenchman completed the impressive feat in 1 hour, 33 minutes and 47 seconds, and was awarded with a certificate by Andrea Banfi from the Guinness team for achieving what is his third record. PICTURES: Nasar T K.
mesquite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big shock! I left ABP a few years ago when the roads were all under construction. Some still are but I can't believe the new North Road. It's been a great visit to old friends and made me think of maybe coming back. But man, it sure is expensive!
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Anger at expat women's dress Reply with quote

People need to respect the local values. There is a lot of anger directed at the expat community these days although after yesterday's inferno there is also a lot of sympathy.

Women, especially Latino and American women need to dress more appropriately.
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=508306&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16

Heat rises over ill-clad expatriate women

Scantily dressed expatriate women who are seen in increasing numbers in public places especially on the week-ends are offending cultural sensitivities says a report in the local Arabic daily Arrayah.
Many Qatari women have expressed disgust and dismay at th
is phenomenon. �This is a fashion statement that is in total contrast to our traditional wear. What we wear is an expression of our commitment to the cultural and religious values which we dearly cherish. It is a bizarre sight to see in the malls and hypermarkets such women mingling with those who are fully covered. They attract the attention of men. And one has noticed very often men loitering around the ladies fitting rooms in large hypermarkets waiting to see women coming out in mini shorts or skirts!� said Umm Mohamed.
�It is rather surprising that some Arab expatriate women also tend to wear such clothes. When I politely tried to argue against this with one such lady she replied that she likes such clothing especially in the summer and her husband does not object to it,� said Umm Khalid, another Qatari woman. There have been instances when gentle persuasion did not convince such women to leave the mall, the security staff had to intervene and evict them says the report. A salesman in the ladies� garment section of a popular hypermarket said that displaying mini skirts and shorts and matching blouses is a must because they are very much in demand.

Sheikh Tariq al-Kubaisi, a cleric said, �such clothing is a sign of loose morals and it must be checked by the authorities. It is strange that expatriate women who respected our tradition and our values until recently have now taken to this trend,� he added.
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Inappropriately dressed expat women Reply with quote

Ladies beware - you are not dressing appropriately!!

People are getting more and more angry with expatriates. The atmosphere is changing rapidly. People need to respect the local values.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=508601&version=1&template_id=46&parent_id=26

Further to the report, �Heat rises over ill-clad expatriate women� (Gulf Times, May 27) and the comment, �Revealing clothes not cool� (May 26, Gulf Times), I agree that the number of expatriate women wearing revealing clothes are on the rise in Qatar. Summer is just an excuse for them. People wearing such clothes do not feel heat,they just want to look hot! You can be �cool� even by wearing proper clothes.
Scantily-clad women have no idea that they are offending the region�s cultural sensibilities. It does not mean all of them have to cover up from head to toe. There is a middle way, as in all things. Vulgar display of �skin� should be discouraged. There is no doubt about that. Also, there is a health side to this. As Gulf Times pointed out, health studies have shown the harmful effect of excessive exposure to sunlight and tanning for cosmetic reasons.

The income earned in this country gives people the option of affording and sporting branded, designer revealing/non-revealing clothes they never ever dreamt of procuring in their own home country.
There is a clear difference when you wear something for comfort and when you deliberately dress immodestly to get attention from others.
Doha is a place that encourages social interaction and one of the ways to seek special attention is to present yourself in a manner you decide to go forward with. Women or men going out for shopping would normally wear clothes for comfort, but people intending to engage in potential flirting/courting and voluntarily invite attention from strangers decide to present themselves in other ways. It ultimately comes down to your personal agenda and conscience. Do not ignore the fact that even Arab woman nowadays are noticed sporting tonnes of make-up and modern clothing.

Last edited by blastermill on Tue May 29, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/world/middleeast/14qatar.html
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Inappropriately dressed expat women Reply with quote

blastermill wrote:
Ladies beware - you are not dressing appropriately!!

People are getting more and more angry with expatriates. The atmosphere is changing rapidly. People need to respect the local values.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=508601&version=1&template_id=46&parent_id=26

Further to the report, �Heat rises over ill-clad expatriate women� (Gulf Times, May 27) and the comment, �Revealing clothes not cool� (May 26, Gulf Times), I agree that the number of expatriate women wearing revealing clothes are on the rise in Qatar. Summer is just an excuse for them. People wearing such clothes do not feel heat,they just want to look hot! You can be �cool� even by wearing proper clothes.
Scantily-clad women have no idea that they are offending the region�s cultural sensibilities. It does not mean all of them have to cover up from head to toe. There is a middle way, as in all things. Vulgar display of �skin� should be discouraged. There is no doubt about that. Also, there is a health side to this. As Gulf Times pointed out, health studies have shown the harmful effect of excessive exposure to sunlight and tanning for cosmetic reasons.

The income earned in this country gives people the option of affording and sporting branded, designer revealing/non-revealing clothes they never ever dreamt of procuring in their own home country.
There is a clear difference when you wear something for comfort and when you deliberately dress immodestly to get attention from others.
Doha is a place that encourages social interaction and one of the ways to seek special attention is to present yourself in a manner you decide to go forward with. Women or men going out for shopping would normally wear clothes for comfort, but people intending to engage in potential flirting/courting and voluntarily invite attention from strangers decide to present themselves in other ways. It ultimately comes down to your personal agenda and conscience. Do not ignore the fact that even Arab woman nowadays are noticed sporting tonnes of make-up and modern clothing.

Qatar won't survive unless it learns to tolerate the fact that foreigners from other cultures, the foreigners who have built up and developed their country for them, don't always see the world through a Wahhabi'ist-Muslim lens. Some women, and men, like to look and feel sexually attractive when they are out and about. I respect that. Qatari women have been brought up to think that covering up, and accentuating one's modesty, is more to be admired, than showing off one's physical assets. I respect that too. Why does respect for one or another point of view have to be mutually exclusive?

Many western women are offended by Islamic female garb, but they have no right to force Muslim women to take off the clothing that is inherent in their culture and their belief system. The same applies to Qatari women, when it comes to foreigners in their country, in my opinion. Qatari women have no more right to insist foreigners in their country cover up than the women of free, western countries have to insist Qatari women remove their abayas/shaylas/niqabs when they are visiting places like London. Qatari women are free to wear what they like when they visit the UK/US, and most EU nations. Why can't they extend that freedom to guests in their country? Why is "cultural sensitivity" so frequently a 1-way street?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: