Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Qatar where it's at?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartonator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Is Qatar where it's at? Reply with quote

I never thought I'd consider Qatar, but the salaries looks pretty good. I've done a cursory search of the lifestyle/world... never been to the Middle East...

If anyone has time, I'm just wondering, what is it like? If like to hang out at a bar sometimes, is that even possible (outside the big hotels?) Is there a large foreigner community? Are there welcoming/accessible sports leagues, music scenes, art scenes that a first year ESL teacher might hope to participate in?

I am 30, male, single, have 1 year ESL experience, an Ivy League English degree (BA) and professional expertise in media production (but I doubt that's relevant), haven't even applied to jobs yet, just trying to imagine what it's like... it is like Dubai/Ab Dhabi at all? Is it super expensive?

thanks for your time
SecretAgent69

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a good salary, you will need a Master's degree in teaching EFL, Applied linguistics, etc.
gartonator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've seen advertised jobs that only require a BA for well over $3000/month which seems is good if the cost of living isn't too much
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum for any dependable employer that you would want to deal with is a BA+CELTA+a few years of experience. Beware of ads with pay scales that sound too good to be true... there are lots of scams out there. You are not eligible for jobs at "well over" $3000 a month.

I'm not sure why you have chosen Qatar, but most single people find it a bit dull. What you need is better credentials and to expand your search to Oman and the UAE.

I'd spend a few hours reading threads...

VS
gartonator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiled, thank you, I will expand my search accordingly

'most single people find it dull' speaks wonders to what I'm really looking to find out... I've lived in many places, but Qatar may be a bit too much for me, anyway, thanks for the thoughts
B
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere in Qatar would you earn $3000+ per month with your qualifications.

There are a number of social rugby/ice hockey/cricket/football(soccer leagues.

There are only bars at the big hotels and they're cracking down on them in terms of requiring ID to enter (the ID is recorded and you are being tracked).

There are some very small art/music groups but I doubt if they would appeal to the under 50 set as a general observation (OK to attend once in a while but, geez the pace is slow!)

Qatar is about 20 - 30% more expensive in terms of general food/clothing costs and about on a par with Dubai and Abu Dhabi for housing costs. Unless accomodation is included in your package it's not worth considering.
SecretAgent69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gartonator, I have been teaching and traveling since I was out of university. You're only 30, so forget the Gulf for now. You should go somewhere where you can be free and get your freak on ! While you're there, if you are serious about making a good salary in teaching, get your credentials upgraded online or something. Then, after having a rip roaring time somewhere, come to the Gulf.

Most people come to the Gulf to save money (good salary, free rent, no tax, etc). But you can put that sort of responsibility off for a few more years yet.

You could get a job teaching in places like Latin America, South East Asia, or Japan. You wouldn't get paid a lot, but it would be enough to live on and party like you should be. I would especially recommend Japan as the salaries are higher and you can definitely have your freaky fun there without anybody telling you to watch yourself. Latin America would be better than Japan in terms of having fun, but the salaries are much lower. You could still have a good and fun lifestyle though. Depends what you want.
gartonator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Secret, Thank you Millie...

I guess this is a bit of how I imagined Qatar, but it helps to have it spelled out

Thanks! I might be there in a few years, as you say Secret Agent Smile

Sound like if I'm going to enjoy an arts scene there, I'll need to bring it with me, who knows what the future will bring... cheers
joeboe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gartonator,

As far as getting a TEFL MA.....forget the Ivy League. Any podunk or online university will do. The senior staff at most of the Gulf language academies don't give a fig where your degree is from..as long as you have one. Their chief concern is what is euphemistically referred to as "Classroom Management", ie
keeping the little b*****ds from sleeping or climbing the walls. However, I do agree with some of the other posters...keep out of the Gulf until you're an embittered wreck of a man. Get some experience in Japan, Korea, Thailand or Indonesia...they're always looking for people in those countries. By the way, don't let anybody scare you..there are plenty of jobs for someone with you background in Kuwait, KSA, the UAE, and Oman. You could certainly make $35,000 to $45,000 in the Holy Sand Trap...Saudi. By the way, if you're offered a job in the Gulf you will have to supply a copy of your degree and official transcripts, but management rarely if ever checks references/former employers...if you catch my drift.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take care following joeboe's advice too closely. Laughing It does describe the bottom tier employers. But, if you decide to go the professional route with a related MA to the better tertiary employers - and I never worked for one that fit his description - they will check your credentials. My references have usually been contacted and I have been contacted as a reference for others.

VS
joeboe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to contradict you, Mother Superior...but what I wrote earlier about checking references-or lack thereof, has always been the case in the Persian Gulf. And I'm not just talking about these crummy little language mills. I have worked for several multinational arms dealers (use your imagination ) and they never once checked up on anything aside from my education credentials...and that was usually done by the Embassy in Washington.
All of my references and employment history were legit..or fairly close...but these former employers were never consulted or even contacted. I might have easily written "Head of Anesthesiology, Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York 1980-1985" on the application for all it mattered......admittedly, the "Sinai" part might have raised an eyebrow or two in certain quarters.
Glatonator, let me reiterate...do not let any of these people scare you off. There are plenty of jobs for a guy like you in the Gulf....believe me I've worked in four countries on and off for 25 years. Ten years ago I knew a young man..younger than you are now...just out of college with only six months of teaching under his belt. He worked in Sharjah for 9500 a month plus housing. After a year he decided he hated both the profession and the ME and last I heard he's happily ensconced in Silicon Valley. We should all be so lucky. Try KSA or Oman...there's bound to be something for you.

By the by, VS...apparently you have worked for a tertiary (what American uses this word?) employer who fits the above description. I was interviewed and hired by the Good folks at HCT in Feb. '89...at the Corniche Residence in Abu Dhabi. All those people required from me was a copy of my college transcripts and a handshake.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too an an ivy leaguer and was once asked if my alma mater was as good as Arizona State?

you could always go K-12 but not quite hit the 3grad a month mark though
gartonator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks thanks again

if I can make $45,000, I'll be there (little tax, right?)

And the Ivy thing, I just know that certain employers in Korea (very few, but I worked for one) pay more and actively recruit Ivy Leaguers, because that is exactly how they sell their school as the 'most expensive' compared to other academies/hagwons etc. And they hung my diploma in the front office, had me on the brochure before I even arrived in the country... I was NOT the best teacher, but I was ok. I got a pretty high score on my SAT which might have helped teach SAT... I know several schools even have ESL teachers teach the math sections, crazy, and I know that will probably never happen in Qatar

And as far as checking references, I wonder about that because I think my one previous school has been bought/sold or split into 2 schools and I don't even know the current ownership, so I'm just listing a random number that might work, and then contacts for some of my co-teachers (who now teach at other schools as well)

Anyway, I think I've got to make a decision this week, so thanks again, the search continues...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeboe wrote:
Sorry to contradict you, Mother Superior...but what I wrote earlier about checking references-or lack thereof, has always been the case in the Persian Gulf.

You are certainly free to give your experience as I am free to give mine. I am afraid that your use of the term "always" proves you wrong. Just because your experience was different does not invalid the reality of mine. I repeat. My references were checked by my employers... including HCT. I was a reference three times at different Gulf universities and I was contacted in all three cases.

YMMV... but rudeness, such as yours, is not necessary.

So, new applicants... if your credentials are not legitimate, you are taking a chance. And yes, I know of people who were not hired because of their credentials not being confirm-able. (just as I know people who were hired at some places with totally fictional credentials)

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear joeboe,
Since Saudi Arabia is one of the Arabian Gulf countries (I call it the "Persian Gulf" only in Iran), I can assure you that my references (and the references of every other teacher hired by the Institute of Public Administration) were checked (and some teachers found this out the hard way.)
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: