Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it rape if...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it rape if both people are drunk and later regret it?

Answer: only if you are male.

Back to topic, which is not communism or the value of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS to most USistanis, who would have thought, only a few years to internalize and combust).

Would be nice to have a thread talking about one or both of the two topics.

Someone be more proactive than I am right now.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Qaaolchoura wrote:

Believe me, I avoid flying when at all possible. It takes about two days to get from Izmir to Adana by train and a couple hours by flying guess. Which one I chose? But getting from New England to Turkey by ship is not an option. Nor is it practical to get around a large country like Turkey or the US via ground-based transit if you have a job which requires you to visit multiple cities frequently.

By your logic you could suggest that the government has an automatic right to tap your phone lines without a warrant, because you can always choose not to make phone calls. I mean, there are other means of transportation, and we've done without phones for most of our history.

~Q

Trains aren't safe either. Neither are cars, or anyplace or anything you do. Terrorists are after you, you personally. They want to blow up everyone and everything. The question remains, who are they?

I hope you're being sarcastic. I'm not worried about being blown up by terrorists. Terrorists don't frighten me; any rate I'm far more likely to die from my bad diet.

But the "terrorists are going to get us so you'd better get used to being strip-searched" crowd really do irritate me.

~Q
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:
I'm planning to fly back to the Philippines in March. (The TSA agents will be searching me.)

Should I plan to get raped, too?

Shocked

You say that jokingly but I have had the lovely experience of having one of the pat downs and let me tell you I don't care why they were doing it, it was a violation of my human rights. There has to be some kind of criteria for deciding who gets patted down, like DebMar, I don't think people over 75 should be subject, or children under a certain age. A determined suspect will get something through if they want to. Ironically, the time I was "patted down" I had a forbidden fingernail clipper in my pocket, and they didn't find it. It wasn't on purpose, I just forgot it was there.

I used to think along the same lines, but changed my mind. If criminals/terrorists know that certain groups of people are automatically excluded from security searches then they may very well start to try use that to their advantage. Smuggling weapons/drugs/etc on children, for one thing.

Also, "a determined suspect will get something through if they want to", is a bit of a platitude, and incorrect, in my opinion. What are you suggesting with this statement? I don't care how determined someone is, the days of hijackers taking over aeroplanes with AK-47s, or even a pocket knife, are gone, my friend! This is because of the stringent security measures most airlines now employ. I'm not defending abuse of power by certain security employees, and I'm not saying agencies like the TSA go about their jobs in the right way all the time, but some type of body-scan/body search is necessary at times (done only by the same gender and within boundaries which respect human dignity), and shouldn't be confined to specific age/gender/ethnic groups.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: