Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like RMIT is the best place to work...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8balldeluxe wrote:
It's a good place to work if you like to be in a gilded cage with a lot of structure and things that are not necessarily teaching related. For example they have a big retraining seminar thing coming up about "conduct". Whether they need it or not is doubtful as it is the finest higher learning institution . $ is great but dont forget where you left your personality so you can find it later after you quit. Although that doesn't happen so often either as people tend to stay there, and become more and more dependent on the big money and get complacent and there is a risk of forgetting where one is. But eventually they will all have to leave the cult and probably need deprogramming.

Seems a bit overly dramatic to me... I haven't worked for RMIT, but being one of the most highly respected schools in Vietnam paints a better picture than your rant does.
isabel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research the website. I heard there were jobs listed recently.

Last edited by isabel on Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke you are not being fair in calling someone's words a "rant" just because you do not agree with their opinions. I have a very well informed opinion and from what Ive seen and heard they are one of the most pompous organizations and it is always is said to be a way they have of creating hoops to jump through which has very little to do with education. Such as their antics in hiring where they put teachers in a stress panel of three or more expat "experts" asking hostile questions all at once. Then they subject their own employees to this continual tribunal process, and its not as if the persons doing it are really qualified any more than the average expat teacher in Vietnam. They have a two tier pay system that is utter nonsense because anyone who teaches English can pretty much figure out within a few months exactly what to do and there is no expert special skill you can have. The teachers who do the real work -as usual- the English teachers, get kept down by the bureaucrats and pseudo 'business' teachers who get much more cake pay rates for doing what??. I would skip it and go to a lesser paid school and avoid the Hades.$ not worth it.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8balldeluxe wrote:
Luke you are not being fair in calling someone's words a "rant" just because you do not agree with their opinions. I have a very well informed opinion and from what Ive seen and heard they are one of the most pompous organizations and it is always is said to be a way they have of creating hoops to jump through which has very little to do with education. Such as their antics in hiring where they put teachers in a stress panel of three or more expat "experts" asking hostile questions all at once. Then they subject their own employees to this continual tribunal process, and its not as if the persons doing it are really qualified any more than the average expat teacher in Vietnam. They have a two tier pay system that is utter nonsense because anyone who teaches English can pretty much figure out within a few months exactly what to do and there is no expert special skill you can have. The teachers who do the real work -as usual- the English teachers, get kept down by the bureaucrats and pseudo 'business' teachers who get much more cake pay rates for doing what??. I would skip it and go to a lesser paid school and avoid the Hades.$ not worth it.

Don't worry, I wasn't using the term "rant" as an insult. Rants can be good and called for depending on the situation. I was merely trying to say that yours was the first I'd seen against RMIT, so taking it with a grain of salt.
Nim Chimsky

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teachers

I have been working at RMIT for quite some time and I think working there is similar to teaching at other reputable educational organisations in Vietnam.
Of course, there are both positive and negative aspects of the organisation and it has its own culture.

It is very structured but this is the case with most if not every university on the planet. And most of the reputable EFL schools in Vietnam are highly structured and have different levels of management for the usual reasons.

Like any job, one needs to play the game and if you can't or won't, it's best to find an organisation that fits your particular requirements.

I was very fortunate to know someone who was already working there and they helped me get the interview. In fact, I sent them my CV prior to speaking to my friend and never heard from them. So who you know and not what you know may help in obtaining the interview but after that it's up to you to impress the interviewing panel.

RMIT will pay 100% for further education at RMIT but needs to be approved by the Programme Director. There are many EFL teachers studying in different programmes throughout the university.

One does have to reinterview for their job every year but it's basically formality.

Quote:
But eventually they will all have to leave the cult and probably need deprogramming.

I will let you know if I go through the deprogramming course but it's part of the exit interviewing process. Laughing

Best regards

Nim Chimsky
isabel

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it you like about the place? What are the good points?

Last edited by isabel on Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Nim Chimsky

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isabel

Thank you for your reply.

I was discussing the English language programme at RMIT which is an academic English programme for students who do not meet the English language requirements to enroll in the university. I have taught in similar programmes in the USA and it's basically the same thing. On most campuses
in the States there is an English language school for non-native English speakers to improve their English so they can study in the university.

I think you are discussing lectures, professors etc who are teaching subjects not ESL or EFL. And, indeed there is more academic freedom in those subjects but that depends on the particular institution and the location of the university. For example, in the States and other western countries there is more academic freedom than in Saudi, China, Vietnam,
etc. However, this is not always the case, in fact, there has been a major crackdown in the USA regarding professors who are too radical and do not get tenure or are even dismissed.

And it also helps to know people etc at MIT, Harvard, Cambridge etc to get in the door as a new professor. In fact, it is essential in today's world. And yes, RMIT is a corporation but so is MIT, Harvard and almost every tertiary education organisation on the planet. I suspect that you work for a corporation unless it's a non-profit organisation that pays huge salaries to its directors etc. It's all about money and that is why students leave university with huge debts.

Best regards

Nim Chimsky
dalpunk

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!!!

Last edited by dalpunk on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nim Chimsky

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dalpunk

The students who are studying in the English language programme are not enrolled in the university. A majority of the students are in the programme for only one purpose-to complete all of the levels in the programme. Because if you complete the highest level successfully you do not have to sit an international university entrance exam such as IELTS/TOEFL. The requirements for students joining the programme is money, money, money. Well not completely true, need high school diploma and I think a 6 or 7 grade point
out of 10 in Vietnam. The students are not the best students academically but they are motivated to pass all of the levels because most of them would not be able to obtain the required IELTS score to enter the undergraduate programe even after completing the programme. I wont cooment more on this because it;s a sensitive issue. There are not many students in the English language programme who plan on studying abroad because there are other reputable schools in HCMC with cheaper fees.

I am not in a contact teaching position at RMIT but I have been there and done that. Regarding insight about getting a position as an English language Instructor or Educator, I will give a few ideas focussed on the instructor positions.

1. Qualifications are essential, need BA and CELTA or equivalent as a minimum, in fact most of the teachers at this level do not have the MA or DELTA.

2.Experience, most if not all of the teachers have experience, about two years, the type of experience they are looking for is working for reputable EFL schools, of course experience working in a similar university academic English programme, teaching academic English, IELTS teaching etc They do not want to hire teachers who have been teaching conversational English in Japan, Korea etc.

3. Nationality-of course they would prefer to hire Australians, it is an Australian University! just like an American university would prefer to hire Americans. But there are different nationalities teaching in the programme.

4. The application is important- the most important aspect is the written statement on how your experience, knowledge, competencies etc will provide you with the skills to teach in the English programme. Its the most important because if you dont meet the minimum requirements, your application will find itself in the closest bin.Also, it's easy to write a good CV and if one is trying to decide on candidates who have similar experience, this can provide the reviewer with the candidates' writing skills etc. In fact, this is the major weakness of most of the candidates,

5. Panel interview- if you are interviewed in Vietnam there are generally three people who will interview you. Focus on a few grammar questions, classroom management, situational analysis etc. I dont think its difficult but it can be intimidating for candidates who do not have experiece with the interviewing process etc. If you cant cope with 3 people asking you questions you may have a problem with adult students asking you questions in the classroom etc.

6. Age-this is an issue-there are alot of older teachers working there but they have been there for quite some time-they will generally not hire teachers in their 50s and if we are honest, its generally easier to manage a younger person,

Finally, I think it is a great place to work, thats somewhat subjective because I work there but there are other places in Vietnam that also offer professional opportunities for professional teachers. I have always been quite positive about ACET in HCMC. Cant comment on Hanoi. It's not as structured, you dont have to be there 40 hours a week, just when youre teaching, a lot of older teachers and a lot of them are highly experienced teaching IELTS/academic English, hands off approach. I forgot to add that there is a conflict of interest between IDP/ACET that has put a bad taste in my mouth and I suspect this would not be allowed in Australia.

Anyway, best of luck and I will not be making further posts etc about RMIT because I want to remain anonymous and RMIT like every school/company would prefer that employees do not contribute to blogs etc etc.

Best regards

Nim Chimsky

PS wrote this on an iphone so disregrd spelling etc
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some consideration , I have decided to edit this post because I believe the one I was responding to was spurious, or frivolous.After analysis and comparison of linguistic logarithms, and taking into consideration the organizational structure, and occurrence of certain thought group and phrase patterns it appears that the poster was prevaricating to some degree.

If anyone really has experience at the illustrious university in District 7 please share whatever info you have.
Nim Chimsky

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isabel and 8 ball

I am always impressed with individuals that write posts on this website and then when they don't get the information that fits with thier assumtions and ideology, they then edit all of their posts and in fact change the post to a completely different question then the original one.

This would of course make Stalin cringe and where is Orwell?

Best regards

Nim Chimsky
isabel

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nim Chimsky wrote:
Hi Isabel and 8 ball

I am always impressed with individuals that write posts on this website and then when they don't get the information that fits with thier assumtions and ideology, they then edit all of their posts and in fact change the post to a completely different question then the original one.

This would of course make Stalin cringe and where is Orwell?

Best regards

Nim Chimsky

Either this is projection or great imagination on your part. You know neither my assumptions nor my ideology, nor I yours. A few words on an internet site is not adequate for understanding ones motives and subjectivity.
8balldeluxe

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Nim, I did not edit in vain. My updating was to correct the function of my posting. Where once I had assumed i was in a dialogue with an employee of RMIT. I realized that was not the case and simply updated my assumption. No sense in leaving a dead end conversation thread out there.
I do not think we have a difference of ideologies. It is more of a difference in expectations.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be good for PeterParvo ?
The Mad Hatter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anywhere would be an improvement on the God forsaken hole he is in now.

Yes I think it would give his wife and him a chance to get back on as nearly a normal footing as one can expect in our itinerant chosen profession.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: