Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michaels EFL Taiwan. Any information?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Michaels EFL Taiwan. Any information? Reply with quote

Hi.

I just saw the advertisement from a school called Michael's EFL in Taiwan. It looks quite good and the website is pretty nice too. I was wondering if anybody happens to have some personal experience with this school or knows some information about it. Thank you!
rbos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've applied in the past to Michael's EFL. In the interview process I talked with Michael (the owner of the school), and got the feeling that he is very much a micro-managing type of employer-which, if you're like me and don't like people being pushy or bossing you around a lot, would probably make your experience uncomfortable, or maybe even miserable.

I remember him saying that he thinks that most ESL schools in Taiwan don't emphasize having a rigorous enough curriculum to really teach students how to read, write, and speak English properly.

He also implied that he felt most ESL teachers in Taiwan are there for a vacation and to save up money to pay off college loans, and not dedicated enough to teaching. But honestly, the micro-managing personality (since he does in fact own the school) was one of the things that was worrisome to me the most. I would avoid the school if you can help it. But this is just my opinion.
Nomad79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've only talked with him once and have never actually been to the school, but I didn't get that impression at all. Anything's possible, but what I got in speaking from him was that he just didn't want his school becoming a giant mercenary language chain and that he had seen good results from whatever his method is. And I should add that I'm very wary of schools like I alluded to, which seem to have a major presence in Asia.

(No, I'm not a plant. Seriously. I live in the US. )
haopengyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad79 wrote:
Well I've only talked with him once and have never actually been to the school, but I didn't get that impression at all. Anything's possible, but what I got in speaking from him was that he just didn't want his school becoming a giant mercenary language chain and that he had seen good results from whatever his method is. And I should add that I'm very wary of schools like I alluded to, which seem to have a major presence in Asia.

(No, I'm not a plant. Seriously. I live in the US. )

Like he is going to admit that he's a plant Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: