Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in MEast with a criminal record
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel_hayes wrote:
Just want to bump this thread. I am VERY interested on working in the MEast, but I need to find out more about the situation re. CRB checks.

Do you think it's worthwhile contacting schools or recruiters to ask them?

I believe that some countries, like Qatar, don't ask for CRM checks. But I can't find out 100% accurate information.

Has anybody on this thread been asked for a CRB? And, did they apply for it in their home country?

I have worked for two full-time government jobs in Qatar, on a residence permit, including the one I am doing now, and have never been asked for a criminal background check of any kind. You would think if anyone would ask for a criminal record check, it would be government jobs. None of my co-workers in either job, from the US/UK/Australia/Canada seem to have been asked for this, so lack of a requirement seems the same, regardless of nationality.

Even if you were asked for one, you might find a police 'subject access request' from your local police force, which gives any details held about you on the national police computer, would satisfy most employers in Qatar. It comes in a sealed envelope, has all the official stamps, etc and your drink driving charge from over 10 years ago would most likely not show up.

The main thing they seem concerned with in Qatar is that your qualifications are genuine and you aren't carrying any serious infectious diseases.

By the way, I also worked in Saudi, on an iqama, and was never asked for a criminal record check. There were several nutball co-workers there who would probably have been barred, if it had been asked for!

If I were you, I would just apply to some jobs in the ME, keeping quiet about your conviction, of course, and see what they say.

Hope that helps.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Police Report Reply with quote

The only time I needed a police report was when I applied for a visa to Saudi Arabia. I thought that the visa process required a Police Report only IF YOU HAD ONE, so I sent the visa application to the Saudi Embassy. They sent it back and told me that I needed a police report stating that I had no police record, no convictions in the district. I only remember that the process for applying for a Saudi visa was rather complex and opaque. I think the application had to go to two different offices in my capital city and neither office talked to the other office. Maybe recruiters cut through all the red tape, but I was a direct hire and my university only sent a contract. There were companies that I could have paid to do the application, but I figured that it would not be all that complicated. Wrong! Welcome to Saudi Arabia.

In any case, Saudi required a police report at that time.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: UK Reply with quote

I did it last year ...it's a pain in the arse and not cheap. You get your CRB check done on line, they send it to you and then it has to be notarised by a lawyer. You then send it off to be apostilled by the foreign office a long with your certs. They send it all back to you. Cost about 300 quid all in. BEWARE with the new CRB system, no-one signs it and there is just a bar code. No lawyer will notarise a document without a signature, so you must specifically request that the CRB check is SIGNED by a PERSON or you'll just go around in circles. Of course, no-one tells you this. To get the CRB check you also need to provide a UK address backed up with 2 recent bills in your name....not always easy for a TEFLon- Don. It can take months, especially at peak periods. Employers used to do all this or have agents who did. Of course, the best ones still do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: