Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Salary range for an MA, no experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flowerpower822

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Basic Salary range for an MA, no experience Reply with quote

I have looked through the forums, but it seems a lot of people do not post the specific salary or at least have some experience.

I am not a teacher, but I think my offer is based on a teacher salary. So, my question is what is the salary range for a teacher who doesn't have any "qualifying" experience, but has an MA from the USA and gets and offer to work in an American/International school in the UAE???

Can I please just have ranges for the base salary? Assuming living arrangements and benefits are also included (paid for by the school).

**Other question. If you're married, does the school usually cover any of your spouses cost? Airfare, medical, etc?
** I do apologize if this specific question has been asked. However, i couldnt find it
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Basic Salary range for an MA, no experience Reply with quote

flowerpower822 wrote:
I have looked through the forums, but it seems a lot of people do not post the specific salary or at least have some experience.

I am not a teacher, but I think my offer is based on a teacher salary. So, my question is what is the salary range for a teacher who doesn't have any "qualifying" experience, but has an MA from the USA and gets and offer to work in an American/International school in the UAE???

Unfortunately, we can't give you those numbers as they are different from employer to employer. I know people working with MA's with limited experience working for an "international" school for 7000 AED a month w/out housing etc.... and I know people working at true international schools making 12000 AED a month, plus housing, plus airfare etc.

The range isn't set and there are no guidelines I can tell you.
It also depends on what your nationality/passport is, which country you are from and which schools (where they are located) you went to. If you aren't Brit, Canadian, American or Aussie then you can expect about half the salary as a western native speaking expat.

Quote:

Can I please just have ranges for the base salary? Assuming living arrangements and benefits are also included (paid for by the school).

See above.
You should ask the employer for names and contact information for teachers or individuals who have similar positions as you have and ask them.

Quote:

**Other question. If you're married, does the school usually cover any of your spouses cost? Airfare, medical, etc?
** I do apologize if this specific question has been asked. However, i couldnt find it

Lets see.... in a real international school, they usually cover spouses airfare, visa and medical insurance.
flowerpower822

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eisenhorn for your response. It was actually exactly what I was looking for.

The offer was almost exactly in the middle of what you mentioned, includes housing and airfare for me, not my husband. Also, I am American.

And I'll just put it out there...its a GEMS school. Does anyone know if its typcial for them to not cover the spouse?

I'm hesitatant to ask for contact info of employees. Im hoping I can find folks on here with experience with GEMS.

thanks again
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flowerpower822 wrote:
Thanks Eisenhorn for your response. It was actually exactly what I was looking for.

The offer was almost exactly in the middle of what you mentioned, includes housing and airfare for me, not my husband. Also, I am American.

And I'll just put it out there...its a GEMS school. Does anyone know if its typcial for them to not cover the spouse?

I'm hesitatant to ask for contact info of employees. Im hoping I can find folks on here with experience with GEMS.

thanks again

I've salaries range from 12, 000 - 22, 000 over the years, depending on the school. That said, I would imagine that 12,000 - 15,000 is probably more realistic, however, for most people teaching EFL at these schools.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flowerpower822 wrote:

thanks again

What I know about GEMS schools is from 2nd/3rd hand sources. But they have a pretty good rep as a school, they pay on time, they pay what they offered. As for the quality of the school you will be going to .... some of them are fantastic and some of them aren't. Because they are a very large chain, they do try to keep the quality up.

It is probably their policy to not include airfare for spouses. Again, some schools do (the better ones) and some do not. As for housing, you want to see if they want you to do shared accommodations with other faculty/school members (some schools do).

Also, check the gems careers website....they may have an outline of what their contracts include and do not.

a quick question, is your husband going to be working with them or someone else?
helenl

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the MA in and does your friend have a valid teaching certification for K-12 in a US state?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: