Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U of Nizwa hiring?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: U of Nizwa hiring? Reply with quote

Are there any openings @ U of Nizwa for English teachers with an MA in TESOL?

I saw an online job ad (dated Dec 6, 2011) for an "Professor/Assistant Professor in English" with an MA. But the U of Nizwa website doesn't mention that job.

Is there a job there or isn't there? Would it be in the Foundation Program OR the College of Arts & Sciences --> Department of foreign Languages --> English Language Section?

Thanks. Im
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that they need teachers... and are certainly hiring... and would be thrilled to get someone with an MA and experience, but with the current chaos, you might not want to. There are some good teachers there, but some of the management is a big problem. You would need to be able to deal with it...

Mention the ad in your cover letter...

VS
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: All-knowing Reply with quote

VS, thanks for clarifying things about UofN.

I don't wish to sound sarcastic but how do you seem to know so many things about language teaching in the Gulf? I see your postings refer to issues affecting language teachers in the three heavy-hitters (KSA, UAE, Oman). Also, you seem to know about life from the lowly unknown language institute to the highly-competitive university.

How do you gather and generate fairly accurate views? You could write & publish your own newspaper or blog about language teaching in the Gulf.

Im
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all my years there... and here on Dave's... I have many friends and contacts all around the Gulf. No need for a newsletter... this board takes care of that.

A large number of teachers are afraid to post here, but PMs are private and lots of information comes to me through that option.

VS
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Post reliabilty Reply with quote

I sometimes find it difficult to know what stuff to believe and what to take with a grain of salt. Some people say that a college is doing well if it is not mentioned here. I'll take that as a positive sign for SQU.

Im
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is probably very true as to no news is good news in most cases. Of course, if an employer hires mostly non-Westerners, they may not come here to tell us about the negatives.

SQU was my first job in the Gulf back in the late 80s. It was a great job then, and it is still one of the best... if money isn't your main goal. If only the secret to its success could be cloned and shared across the Gulf. Certainly, it isn't perfect, but both the university and the language center have managed to grow, change, and evolve without a major meltdown. There are still some teachers there that I worked with way back when.

I've never understood why the Ministry of Higher Education didn't use the SQU model for its system of small colleges around the country... rather than the chaos and incompetence of using recruiters.

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

I've never understood why the Ministry of Higher Education didn't use the SQU model for its system of small colleges around the country... rather than the chaos and incompetence of using recruiters.

Because pockets in both the Ministries of Higher Education and Manpower are being generously filled under the recruiter system - 'education' (i.e. babysitting and keeping potentially disaffected youth off the streets) is very much a secondary consideration.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh...

VS
isabel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is certainly correct about the chaos at U Nizwa. If you aren't there, it is likely people are sending you messages that are more candid and honest than things they would say a work.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah VS is like Dave's very own Gossip Girl! What some people would give to hack into her account and read all the little tidbits she has acquired LOL!

VS I know some people give you a hard time on Dave's but a friend and I were just saying we find your posts very informative so keep them coming!

Lizzie
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizziebennet wrote:
Hah VS is like Dave's very own Gossip Girl! What some people would give to hack into her account and read all the little tidbits she has acquired LOL!

Are you referring to the bits that aren't "fit to print" here? Laughing

It is sensible for people who are still at some of these places not to post details that could get them in trouble at the job.

VS
Beast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Stay from Unizwa Reply with quote

Avoid Unizwa like the Plague. The program management and his minions (Gang of Haters) make the place a terrible place to work. If he ever leaves then it should be OK.
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do they hate?
Beast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: people not in their Group Reply with quote

What do they hate...many people have left over the last couple of years due to this group. Their busy-bodyness and an attitude of "You're not part of our group" or "You don't let us control your agenda" fed over to the Director who was inept in the first place. The gang of Haters went after them. Then when people protest about non renewal or ask for specific reasons etc. The only reply they get is "It's time to Move on so go and WE can't wait until you leave." When asked for specifics, NONE WERE OFFERED.

A couple of years ago a couple of short time Haters (There less than two months) came up with a list of Good and Bad teachers which was fed to the Director. How can a person or persons come up with a list of good and bad teachers when they don't know the people and the teachers have had NO OBSERVATION? these were long time employees who were good at their jobs and were happy with the University and Oman in General. The haters are personally unhappy and miserable so they destroy other people's lives to make themselves feel better.

Thus, a Bad place to work. Stay Away......
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unarguably a difficult place to work now. That we can agree on.

Everyone sees things differently, and I would disagree with much Beast said.

The infamous "list" was written by someone there a year. It was not a "hit list" and never was given to the director and it had nothing to do with good and bad teachers. A teacher was sorting out the "geneology" of the place- who was whom, from where, etc. and left it on her desk (as it was actually nothing nefarious). Well, it was seen and gossips do what gossips do in a small, intense and yet boring environment. The "list" became a cause of great gossip (though the teacher involved was never asked about it, of course, because cowards don't ever confront a situation head on) but when the story finally came out, it was cleared up.

No, I am not that teacher. But I saw the situation first hand, as well as all of the other attempts to ruin people's reputations with mean gossip, lies and backstabbing. It was an ugly scene and the management made no attempt to deal with it. That is where the factionalism and open warfare amongst the teachers came from. It is a management problem. I saw people in both main groups do things that were unethical and despicable. For lack of direction and management, bored and petty people behave badly.

No reason need be given for lack of contract renewal. This is not to say that things were handled honourably or gracefully- this could not be expected by the director. Difficult, lazy and unhappy westerners managed by a Mullah does not make for a good situation. The second in command is a decent man, but he has too little say.

That is my view. It is a view from the position of being in a great job now and being able to look back and see how truly pathological some places can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: