Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U of Nizwa hiring?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nizwa's a small place. Not a lot to do, only a couple decent restaurants...but I agree with isabel. It's beautiful. The mountains can't be beat. It's great for outdoorsy types and seeing the culture. It's better with a car. Opt for a 4x4 if you can afford it to take full advantage of the mountains- the weather is a lot nicer up there! Life is fairly slow, and it's still pretty rural, but growing. They're widening the main road through town. Construction slows traffic even more at certain times of day, and should be taken into consideration when choosing housing.

The Lulu is all of about 2 years old, so it's not necessary to go to Muscat for grocery shopping, though you might want to for the social life! In recent months there's been a push by some teachers at one of the colleges to start a social group. Their events have good turn out from both colleges and the uni. (There's only 2 places that cater to the performing alkies. They're easily avoided or joined.)

Keep your head down, get your work done relatively on time, toe the line regarding the new program, and you'll get on fine at the uni. PM me for specific questions or details.
balqis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the warda's attitude is expressed correctly and notorious for nizwa university; ghastly department!

yet ask yourself this question: would u like to work surrounded by people of warda's mindset and the environment muffled and stifled by warda's attitude, i.e.'' Keep our head down, get your work done relatively on time, toe the line regarding the new program, and you'll get on fine at the uni''?

food for thought
balqis
isabel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you beat me to it. I was told, when I arrived, the same thing. When I read Warda's comment, I thought - "The more things change. . .". Why should you have to "keep your head down"? What will happen if you don't? What if you are awake and aware and have some scruples? Toe the line? Oh, yeah, it sounds like nothing has changed at all.
Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: The Haters Reply with quote

But what if you run afoul of the haters? They will be on you like a swarm of bees. You may be doing an excellent job but when the haters go for you....... expect the mindless Boss to follow suit with their recommendations. The haters got their Cert and have not progressed at all. They don't really understand what's going on in the classroom besides turning the page and copying grammar exercises. You pay attention and do something different so they get rid of you. In short, The haters Wreck Lives.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the place was so radically polarized when I was there, that I am not sure which faction of haters you are referring to. Either way, you are correct! The nastiness runs both ways, and trying to rationally take a middle ground will get you into the really deep water. That is why most of the advice here is to keep your head down and check things out well before befriending anyone. I can't live my life that way. Hence, I lasted a year. One very difficult, painful year.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While most of the nasties are gone, the management is terribly inefficient. It seems mainly incompetence. Like they can't manage to match student numbers to teacher numbers - and keep taking students whether they have space or not. The scheduling seems to never really get organized. Just one thing after another making it difficult for everyone to actually teach. There are still a few good teachers there trying...

But, not for newbies to the field or those that aren't really flexible..

VS
balqis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... whereas I say that the place is a grazing meadow only for teachers with a mindset of a trainee, maleable fawny teachers, who play well the game: ''I am in constant need for UR advice and UR feedback, I need U to teach well, without U - Great Coordinator/Great Coordinatress/Great HoD - I'm nothing, I am a small poppet''.
Emails written by the management to teachers are truly offensive and outrageous, yet teachers who work there seem not to mind it.

Anyone experienced, in her prime, with distinction and cool, who has the courage to profess ''hands off'' attitude, daring to be independent, has nothing to do in Nezwa.

Truly and verily, not a place for prime-time teachers.

balqis
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
.Truly and verily, not a place for prime-time teachers.

balqis

I'd estimate only a handful of places in the whole Gulf are...

VS
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
balqis wrote:
.Truly and verily, not a place for prime-time teachers.

balqis

I'd estimate only a handful of places in the whole Gulf are...

VS

and your shortlist would be...
globebot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once was there, but have been long gone! It was a great job for a time when the Language Center was managed by a Tunisian Head, and various assistants. Then the Grim Reaper showed up, and his assistant, Dr. Do Little or Nothing at All, and things went to pot. I loved the town and it's people, and also many of my colleagues, who worked hard for their students . The students were there to idle away their time, until they got their paid for degrees. It wasn't easy teaching, but the other benefits made up for it. Oman's a great country still, and I enjoyed my time there. Miss you George, Matt, Ilse and Michael.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sounds like a place to be avoided
globebot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Gone to Pot Reply with quote

I liked Nizwa, and enjoyed the time I spent there. The job wasn't all that bad either while the Tunisian Dean was in charge. Then came the Grim Reaper, who was joined later by Dr. Do Little or Nothing at All. And the place went to pot. I worked with some great people: Ilse, Matt, George and Michael. I miss them. I was back in Muscat recently for one short, final jaunt. The Muddle East is now my past, but oh it sure was interesting!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be at TESOL Arabia this coming week to recruit new teachers. Their long-winded job posting is sure to give job seekers second thoughts about applying there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... that is quite amazing... and all for the equivalent of just over $3000 a month... and the possibility of 60 students in a class. Shocked

VS
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is there right now. She says it's fine, but the impression I get is that they keep her pretty busy. 8 hour days and only a respite for lunch. I interviewed with them about 6 months ago. The guy was trying to explain the system they've got there. After a bit, I just stopped listening. Sounded like you have no autonomy whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: